Madrona Labs New Instrument "Kaivo"

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Kaivo

this is silly. Back to topic please.

EvilDragon wrote:There's also another thing you can do to instantly get rid of all reverb on all patches.

Find all .mlpreset files on your hard drive, load them all up in a text editor, and do the following mass replace (but you need to use Regular Expressions - I use Notepad++ and Sublime Text 3, both can do this):

Find: reverb="\d\.*\d*"
Replace: reverb="0"

Done in seconds. :)
Kool tip Evildragon, thanks.

Couple questions though;; would I have to open each individual preset, and then cut/paste the text into another open project before I could do the find-replace function ? that would not be something to make me smiley face ;) Are those two apps you mentioned free ? And finally, have you tried this yourself... and it worked quickly ?

I'm hoping the answers are No, Yes, and Yes... respectively :)

if that works quick & free, then the urgency and nature of my feature request definitely changes, and I'll simply revert to requesting a parameter lock function across the board. In your own time Randy. Pretty please. with a cherry on top. you da man. etc.

ChiTown24 wrote:
dayjob wrote:isn't there an Aalto thread somewhere for discussion of Aalto things?
it's germane to this thread because Kaivo may suffer from the same thing. Worth discussing now before the genie is out of the bottle, so to speak.
point taken. i'm sure randy is aware of it now though ay?

ChiTown24 wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:There's also another thing you can do to instantly get rid of all reverb on all patches.

Find all .mlpreset files on your hard drive, load them all up in a text editor, and do the following mass replace (but you need to use Regular Expressions - I use Notepad++ and Sublime Text 3, both can do this):

Couple questions though;; would I have to open each individual preset, and then cut/paste the text into another open project before I could do the find-replace function ? that would not be something to make me smiley face ;) Are those two apps you mentioned free ? And finally, have you tried this yourself... and it worked quickly ?

if that works quick & free, then the urgency and nature of my feature request definitely changes, and I'll simply revert to requesting a parameter lock function across the board. In your own time Randy. Pretty please. with a cherry on top. you da man. etc.
Notepad++ is free (as in free speech), but Windows-only. Sublime Text is donationware and it will do what I said as well. Both are tabbed programs like Firefox and Chrome, so all files open as new tabs. To list all .mlpreset files just use your file manager program (Windows Explorer can search by extension, I'm sure Finder can too).

The way I do it in N++: open all .mlpreset files in it, Ctrl+H (Find-Replace), enter the find and replace clauses, select "Regular expression" search mode, press "Replace all in all opened documents", close this dialog, and then just go File->Save All..., and exit.

I didn't try it myself on Aalto's presets (because I don't really care about reverb in factory presets as much as you do ;)), but I did this kind of mass RegExp find-replaces before, it works a treat.

For Sublime Text, the procedure is quite similar, except you use Ctrl+Shift+F (Find in Files) after you open all files in it. You need to have the asterisk button enabled (Regular Expressions) before proceeding with find-replace.

Of course - backup the presets first! :hihi:
Last edited by EvilDragon on Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dayjob wrote:
ChiTown24 wrote:
dayjob wrote:isn't there an Aalto thread somewhere for discussion of Aalto things?
it's germane to this thread because Kaivo may suffer from the same thing. Worth discussing now before the genie is out of the bottle, so to speak.
point taken. i'm sure randy is aware of it now though ay?
I dunno, I think you might be being unfair. I was asked a specific question earlier in the thread which I forgot about, I bumped the thread after 9 days of inactivity to answer it which was followed by over two weeks of further inactivity and as luck would have it Randy joined and addressed me specifically. Naturally I replied to him. And anyone else who addressed me for that matter in the very short amount of time since then, like EvilDragon when he offered that helpful tip that I'm hoping he can help me better understand before attempting to undertake it {if it really is something that can be done in seconds I'll be quite happy}

so, you know, there's about three+ weeks of inactivity there that you could have been posting in here with any line of discussion you like. I'm sorry that the reverb angle doesn't interest you, but I can't really apologise for it being the talking point at the moment. The alternative is no discussion at all. By all means, feel free to participate in the thread in any way you see fit so long as it's within the KVR rules & guidelines of course. Have a good one!

Don't worry - it's literally done in seconds. You might do it in a minute because of anxiousness - just backup the original files first and let it rip! ;)

You on Win or OSX?
Last edited by EvilDragon on Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I like your style.

Sadly this won't work for AU presets because the .aupreset format is not text based. I did a bunch of work to save AU presets in this special format so that they would integrate better with Logic. However this feature comes at the cost of more complexity and the necessity for the whole "convert presets" (between VST and AU) mechanism. It seems in retrospect like the small benefit to Logic users was not worth it. So with Kaivo (and Aalto 2.0) I'm planning to just use .mlpreset files for both versions.
Randy Jones
Madrona Labs

EvilDragon wrote:
ChiTown24 wrote:

Notepad++ is free (as in free speech), but Windows-only. Sublime Text is donationware and it will do what I said as well. Both are tabbed programs like Firefox and Chrome, so all files open as new tabs. To list all .mlpreset files just use your file manager program (Windows Explorer can search by extension, I'm sure Finder can too).

The way I do it in N++: open all .mlpreset files in it, Ctrl+H (Find-Replace), enter the find and replace clauses, select "Regular expression" search mode, press "Replace all in all opened documents", close this dialog, and then just go File->Save All..., and exit.

I didn't try it myself on Aalto's presets (because I don't really care about reverb in factory presets as much as you do ;)), but I did this kind of mass RegExp find-replaces before, it works a treat.

For Sublime Text, the procedure is quite similar, except you use Ctrl+Shift+F (Find in Files) after you open all files in it. You need to have the asterisk button enabled (Regular Expressions) before proceeding with find-replace.

Of course - backup the presets first! :hihi:
Nice one man! :tu: :tu:
Sounds very promising, I have an XP netbook so should be able to do this. I hope the OSX presets are in a similar text format.

Ah bummer, Randy just mentioned AUpresets aren't the exact same format. :(

What can I say? Windows rules. :D :oops: :hihi: :D
Last edited by EvilDragon on Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spoke too soon... fears unfortunately validated. Doh. :(
madronalabs wrote:Sadly this won't work for AU presets because the .aupreset format is not text based.

EvilDragon wrote:Ah bummer, Randy just mentioned AUpresets aren't the exact same format. :(
VST presets on OS X are in the same format though.

[EDIT] If you need to use the AU you could also munge all the VST presets the EvilDragon way, and then convert them to VST. I've had occasional glitches with the preset converter in this version. If you have any problems I would try it with the audio engine off.
Last edited by madronalabs on Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Randy Jones
Madrona Labs

Cool that, but if ChiTown24 doesn't use a Mac VST host, unfortunately the tip is of no help to him. I tried to help. :)

ChiTown24 wrote:Spoke too soon... fears unfortunately validated. Doh. :(
madronalabs wrote:Sadly this won't work for AU presets because the .aupreset format is not text based.
It would make matters more complex, but, you could first convert your aupresets to mlpresets and then open those in the editor. Once done, reverse the process.
But first check if you're using the aupresets to begin with, they come with the AU version of Aalto, if you happen to use the VST version, chances are you are using the (editable) mlpresets.

madronalabs wrote:

I like your style.

Sadly this won't work for AU presets because the .aupreset format is not text based. I did a bunch of work to save AU presets in this special format so that they would integrate better with Logic. However this feature comes at the cost of more complexity and the necessity for the whole "convert presets" (between VST and AU) mechanism. It seems in retrospect like the small benefit to Logic users was not worth it. So with Kaivo (and Aalto 2.0) I'm planning to just use .mlpreset files for both versions.
Pity, I like being able to have au preset versions too.

A global fx on/off button and fx mix knob would be the the best option for me too.

aMUSEd wrote:Pity, I like being able to have au preset versions too.
Can you tell me why? This isn't a test. It's just the only reason I could remember for adding them in the first place was that they update the Logic preset menus (framing the plugin window) automatically, and you can select presets from those menus. There may be other reasons I've forgotten that would make them more useful. Or even a serious argument for the utility of the frame preset UI over the plugin window one could convince me to keep them around.

Coming back to topic, this is likely to influence Kaivo one way or the other. I certainly have enough on my plate, so I could keep the au / ml duality around until version 2.0.
Randy Jones
Madrona Labs

Return to “Instruments”