Nexus 2.5.1 - Expansion Licensing Changes

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sorry, I'm not clear on what this might mean. I received the following from reFX:

Version 2.5.1 - Expansion Licensing Changes

Nexus2 now uses a single master key file for all of your purchased expansions, instead of multiple key files. For your master key file to work, you'll need to provide us with your USB eLicenser's serial number. This is the 5 - 7 numbers (the numbers before the dash) listed where your eLicenser is displayed in the eLicenser Control Center.
Once you've updated to Nexus2 version 2.5.1, please visit your profile page. Enter your serial number (the 5 - 7 numbers that you noted previously) in the 'eLicenser Serial No.' field, and click on 'Update'. You can now download your master key file from your account page (the yellow download button), and import this into Nexus2.

In the past I've always assumed (perhaps wrongly) that if my eLicenser were lost/stolen, then I simply needed to re-purchase the Nexus program and any of my already purchased expansion packs would work with it.

Do the new licensing changes mean that now I would have to re-purchase all of the expansion packs as well?

Thanks,
OC

I didn't get from it that it has changed your licensing agreement at all.
What it does, is that instead of each skin and expansion you having to download their authorisation file which is then imported into Nexus 2, was that you just download one file, the master file which has the authorisation stuff for every skin and expansion you have bought.

But no harm in asking.. I always assumed that what is on the e-licenser was the Nexus2 stuff not the expansion and skins, that these are stored on your computer......

rsp

Thank zvenx. :)

You are welcome.
rsp
sound sculptist

Just got a 2.5.3 update for Nexus. That was really fast.

Anyone know why??
• ABLETON
• OS X

(O_O )

I believe it will mean what you think Old Crab. That our expansions are now 'connected' to the dongle so if you lose that, all expansions go with it.

Until i see refx state otherwise i'll be reluctant to update. I know they don't want to make less money. And i know i don't want to put more stuff on my dongle.

Even with 2.5.3 the licenses are still stored on your computer, not on the dongle..
Finally!

Hi guys,

I've never used, nor would I ever want to have to use a dongle (I've not purchased plugins for this reason alone, way too inconvenient) so I don't know a great deal about this. But in summary: if I were to buy Nexus, would I need to have a dongle connected in order to use it?

yes.

reFX include one in the purchase.

TheoM wrote:yes.

Man ... what year is this? Dongles to use software? Really? To use a sample lib? No wonder people pirate it. How is this in any way beneficial to the customer? No sale for me - not for now. Appreciate the clarification.

kldskp wrote:
TheoM wrote:yes.

Man ... what year is this? Dongles to use software? Really? To use a sample lib? No wonder people pirate it. How is this in any way beneficial to the customer? No sale for me - not for now. Appreciate the clarification.
the dongle is exactly the reason people cant pirate it (anymore since v2). as much as i dislike dongle too i dislike more the idea of paying something that other can use for free: so somehow i like the reality that they cant use it. ;)
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

The nexus2 is a very good synth to have in your arsenal, to me it's worth the synchrosoft dongle hassle. Also they won me over when they send candy along in the original dvd package. ;)

Now registering all my expansions to the dongle is taking it a bit too far imo. Losing the dongle before meant repurchasing naxus2, after this update i guess it means buy all the expansions again too.

What do i get back for all that extra risk as a customer?

So the inconvenience of using the dongle is paid for by the satisfaction I can have that others (supposedly) can't use it? No - this is a bad way of doing business, and this method of copy protection seems like something an old man would come up with.

But hey - voting with my wallet.

kldskp wrote:So the inconvenience of using the dongle is paid for by the satisfaction I can have that others (supposedly) can't use it? No - this is a bad way of doing business, and this method of copy protection seems like something an old man would come up with.

But hey - voting with my wallet.
i dont know, i only speak for myself. you mentioned that the dongle is the reason people pirate it when its exactly the reason people cant pirate it anymore (not supposedly). i think this is worth to mention.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

zeep wrote:The nexus2 is a very good synth to have in your arsenal, to me it's worth the synchrosoft dongle hassle. Also they won me over when they send candy along in the original dvd package. ;)

Now registering all my expansions to the dongle is taking it a bit too far imo. Losing the dongle before meant repurchasing naxus2, after this update i guess it means buy all the expansions again too.

What do i get back for all that extra risk as a customer?
you dont have your expansion licenses on the dongle.
The only difference is instead of a key file for each expansion you now have one key file for all of them.

At least thats how its working for me.
So no need to worry about losing your expansions on the elicenser

Return to “Instruments”