aalto license policy, BOUGHT! - cleared up thanks Madrona... now.. cpu usage?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sqigls wrote:
TheoM wrote:
sqigls wrote:Mavericks :nutter:
Why??!
on the laptop, because my battery time is much higher and no more fans spinning with safari in backround chewing CPU.

On my imac i am on snow, and plan to never change :hihi:
Mavericks offers better battery life and higher fan threshold?
I just say this as I have been suspicious of Mavericks since it was released… and almost everyone I know who updated has been having (sometimes MAJOR) problems with it.

So you bought Aalto!?! I am considering doing the same, but the sound is quite challenging to fit into my rig though for some reason. I reckon I'd need to give it the permanent one-synth challenge. I wonder how close to a Buchla it is, I am to assume from what I've heard that Aalto is based on the Buchla sound?
Better battery life yes.. the fan threshold per se isn't any different, but i like to have lots of stuff open when browsing the web, and usually they would be using tons of cpu even just open in the backround and getting the processor hot. if they are not at the front, mavericks puts them to sleep. My processor temps and everything have been so much better.

Yes i bought Aalto, will contact madrona about the issues directly since i guess that's what they would prefer i do.

Cheers

I don't visit the forums here on a regular basis, so if you want quick support please email support at madronalabs.com.

One really important thing to note is that graphics can play a big part in CPU usage. So without specifying what the animation settings are in Aalto, and what the plugin window size is, people may be comparing apples and oranges. On both Mac OS and Windows, hosts generally don't report any drawing load in their CPU meters, but the system activity monitors do. The best way to compare hosts is to run a patch with the plugin window closed. Also, just turning off 'anim' in Aalto and making the window smallish should give similar results.

TheoM, my wild guess is that you are possibly running into a graphics-related issue with Logic, as this is one area Logic always gives me headaches. If things get better when you turn off 'anim' or close the window, you'll know. If this is the case, I have an update of Aalto almost ready that will fix this issue.

Also TheoM I understand where you are at re: Logic 9 and Logic X. However, for general stability going forward I would pick Logic X over Logic 9 on Mavericks. If you are on Logic X, Apple really wants you to be on Mavericks, and vice versa, so I doubt that Logic 9 on Mavericks will get much testing. My own resources for testing every possible OS / DAW combination are also limited. So while I'll try to help you out with any combination you can get running, I only am able to spend quality time with the latest version of each DAW.
Randy Jones
Madrona Labs

That's why I am going back to Logic 9 Randy and snow leopard, cause it is my favourite host of all time. Logic 9 doesn't work quite right in anything from mountain lion up, but nevertheless, having a lot of plugins, if it was a system wide issue with cpu usage i think i'd be noticing it more often.

When logic goes into it's "high buffer mode" i can run aalto OK. it just can't be played in realtime.

However, i will do the GUI tests and come back to you. I have already made it small by the way. Maybe a video of it's behaviour would help? Will see what i can do.

PS of course when i run logic, i have the laptop plugged in, all power saving turned off, and the discrete radeon 1GB GPU. cheers

PPS Re logic X, i refuse, there's no point using a host i feel so uncomfortable with, sorry.

TheoM wrote: However, i will do the GUI tests and come back to you. I have already made it small by the way. Maybe a video of it's behaviour would help? Will see what i can do.
Just turning 'anim' off will do the trick.

The upcoming version 1.5 will have OpenGL blitting. If I'm right about graphics being the issue, I expect this to run much better on your setup.
Randy Jones
Madrona Labs

Anim is off, gui is closed, played a couple notes, this time with analog s&h crystals patch, cpu completely maxed out and rice krispies. Playback stopped, no notes being played, gui still closed, no aalto activity happening, core staying completely maxed out. I think it's time i start to email, as i can't see any possible way of using this. Here is a screenshot of aalto doing absolute nothing, in a project otherwise with only a single audio file in it (no fx), and a logic practically zero cpu limiter for safety on master buss.

That's sad. Please email me and we'll figure it out.
Randy Jones
Madrona Labs

Return to “Instruments”