MbiraGen

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

MbiraGen is a semi-generative sequencer plugin that produces MIDI notes
based on a sequence of up to 12 "melodies". Each melody can have up to 4 variations which are selected round-robin. A Melody is a 5x4 grid where the vertical direction indicates note pitch and the horizontal direction indicates time.

Pitches are assigned based on a combination of settings: the tonic note, the scale, the mode, the interval assigned to the melody, and the individual scale degrees represented by the vertical positions in a melody.

In addition to the melody sequencer there is a velocity sequencer, controls for sync time, note length, velocity jitter, note length jitter, and 2 additional sequencers that can apply variations to the melodies as they are being played. These variations provide the drift and randomness that keeps the pattern from feeling too repetitive.

Plugin targets VST2.4 on Windows. 32-bit and 64-bit versions available.

Here is a snap of the GUI:

The zip file is here: MbiraGen_v1.0d

There are some presets in the zip file along with a quick brain-dump of the controls and features as a start towards some documentation. The GUI needs some clean-up, the doc needs a lot of polish, but hopefully it is enough to get you started. Most (but not all) of the controls take mousewheel and/or right click to set values.

It's a freebie, enjoy :)
Last edited by ToneCarver on Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:55 am, edited 6 times in total.

8) Thanks, looks interesting. I opened in a few of my hosts (Reaper x64, FL Studio 11, Cubase 7 x64, Renoise x64) on Win 8.1 x64. I haven't tried other hosts or grok'd how to use it correctly yet but it seems to instantiate and/or sync in those hosts.

edit: Also works well in MuLab 5 x64, Samplitude Pro X x64, Cantabile Performer x64.
Last edited by mn on Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
Regards, Mike

8) ness+

Thank you :)
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

mn wrote:8) Thanks, looks interesting. I opened in a few of my hosts (Reaper x64, FL Studio 11, Cubase 7 x64, Renoise x64) on Win 8.1 x64. I haven't tried other hosts or grok'd how to use it correctly yet but it seems to instantiate and/or sync in those hosts.

edit: Also works well in MuLab 5 x64, Samplitude Pro X x64, Cantabile Performer x64.
Excellent, thanks!

Amazing !
Thank you very much, ToneCarver :love:

Shabdahbriah wrote:8) ness+

Thank you :)
You are welcome.

1. Please release the 32 bit, if possible.
2. Will this be a freeware product or will this be a pay product once out of beta ?

really enjoying nova3
i'd love to see a 32bit version of mbira gen.
pretty please cause my daw still runs on xp.

thank you for your great & innovative work.

cheers,
tl.

abovethoughts wrote:1. Please release the 32 bit, if possible.
2. Will this be a freeware product or will this be a pay product once out of beta ?
The 32 bit version will be released soon assuming all goes well with the build. This is a freeware product - made for fun from some ideas that have been germinating for a long time.

ToneCarver wrote:The 32 bit version will be released soon assuming all goes well with the build. This is a freeware product - made for fun from some ideas that have been germinating for a long time.
thank you. i'm so looking forward to...

i've had a few minutes to play w/ this ...
once again , as w/ nova , you have made a wonderful gift to this community ...

thank you ...

Just checked out Nova, very interesting concept, brings lots of fun to sequencing, thank you for it...really eager to try this new sequencer so +1 for 32bit version.

Okay, 32-bit version is now included in the zip file. Same caveat as before - the 32-bit version works on my computer but it has not been tried on any other systems.

OP link updated to point to MbiraGen_v1.0a

Enjoy..

Holy crap I just watched the vid for Nova3.
If every KVR member wrote one review a year we'd have 1340 reviews each day!

Hewitt Huntwork wrote:Holy crap I just watched the vid for Nova3.
I was just watching http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox_KT0Q2TXE

It is a very nice video, isn't it? :)

Return to “Instruments”