New granular synth: The Mangle

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Mangle

Got an email with an update to download, started to download, but download seems to be stalled. FYI.

got the update. downloaded fine. installed. so far so good.

Download worked lickety-split. From the readme, it appears that the tempo-synced LFOs aren't "real" tempo-synced LFOs, but that they only start to run when a key is pressed... so I guess that means the Mangle just reads the host's tempo and syncs the LFOs to that. So if you press a key 40 ms too late, then the LFOs will be synced to host tempo plus (inept-player-induced) latency, correct?

Hm... don't know if that's a real solution, but I'll have to try it out to see if it's an issue. Anyway, thanks for the update, this synth is really shaping up well! There are quite a few granulars out there, but it somehow carves out its own niche.

Thanks for the update :tu:

I did spent some time with the Sequencer. There is something like a 'range' when you click the two tiny triangles in each step, but I don't know how to use this 'range'! I also don't know the value of each step. I hope you can do something about it in the next update :-)

ariston wrote:Download worked lickety-split. From the readme, it appears that the tempo-synced LFOs aren't "real" tempo-synced LFOs, but that they only start to run when a key is pressed... so I guess that means the Mangle just reads the host's tempo and syncs the LFOs to that. So if you press a key 40 ms too late, then the LFOs will be synced to host tempo plus (inept-player-induced) latency, correct?

Hm... don't know if that's a real solution, but I'll have to try it out to see if it's an issue. Anyway, thanks for the update, this synth is really shaping up well! There are quite a few granulars out there, but it somehow carves out its own niche.
That'll work fine for me :P Quantizing FTW :lol: I'm poo at playing kb anyway, so ye!
Eternitysound VST Banks

At this point, is it already sure that the final synth and its subsequent point updates will also function in Windows 7? This seems like an excellent granular implementation and I'll buy the beta if I know Win 7 is supported in the long run.

I'm asking just to be sure, because the introductory blog post says "I may even require Windows 8 (though I hope to support 7)."

(sent by email instead)
Last edited by cron on Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Guenon wrote:At this point, is it already sure that the final synth and its subsequent point updates will also function in Windows 7? This seems like an excellent granular implementation and I'll buy the beta if I know Win 7 is supported in the long run.

I'm asking just to be sure, because the introductory blog post says "I may even require Windows 8 (though I hope to support 7)."
Oh, i didnt see that when i bought the beta. Well, i can't think of how it would be incompatible with win7, though... Hope it wont - i will skip win8 like the plague (and exactly like i skipped winvista and went to win7 from winxp). THe market share for win8 is laughable, and people usually arent early adopters over here (which is good, i remember that Mavericks gave people huge problems with their music setup).

So, i'm really hoping it'll be win7compatible too :).

trueparadox wrote:i will skip win8 like the plague (and exactly like i skipped winvista and went to win7 from winxp).
100% with you on that one :)

I even have the beta running on winXP...

After a few teething problems (see my deleted post above) related to me using ludicrous buffer sizes (which I forgot to change back after troubleshooting something else), I've got the update installed and running. It's fabulous. The best real-time granular synth plug-in just got better! Tom responded to my question via email very quickly too. Great support!

trueparadox wrote:
Guenon wrote:At this point, is it already sure that the final synth and its subsequent point updates will also function in Windows 7? This seems like an excellent granular implementation and I'll buy the beta if I know Win 7 is supported in the long run.

Oh, i didnt see that when i bought the beta. Well, i can't think of how it would be incompatible with win7, though... Hope it wont - i will skip win8 like the plague (and exactly like i skipped winvista and went to win7 from winxp). THe market share for win8 is laughable, and people usually arent early adopters over here (which is good, i remember that Mavericks gave people huge problems with their music setup).

So, i'm really hoping it'll be win7compatible too :).
Hi guys, it's already Windows 7 compatible, that was an old blog post before I had completed the Windows build (I initially developed it on Mac). In fact, as mentioned, I've been told it works pretty well on XP, but I don't have an XP system to test/build on so I'm reluctant to say that XP is supported. Cheers.

Any chance the Rate could get a "set to host tempo" button with playback rates like delays have ie. 1/2, 1/2*, 1/2T, 1/4, 1/4*...etc etc?
Eternitysound VST Banks

Guenon wrote:
trueparadox wrote:i will skip win8 like the plague (and exactly like i skipped winvista and went to win7 from winxp).
100% with you on that one :)
I've been running Windows 8 pretty much since it came out :shrug: and while 8.1 was a step backwards in stability, I (slightly) prefer it to Windows 7.

So here's hoping none of you convince the dev to drop support for it for some weird reason.

I just bought The Mangle in either case, I'm about to install it, so hopefully it all goes well.
noise and beats: Negutyv Xeiro do people actually click these?
gearlust: Roland JP-8000, too much/not enough eurorack
machinecode by: u-he, Bitwig, Fabfilter, NI, et al

Hello again

After I bought your product I unfortunately realised I couldn't
copy any values from a text editor into your synth.

(You have to as a Sonar user because the text is intercepted
from Sonar, is recognized as a hotkey command
and gets obliterated before the text can even reach any plugin)

Because of that, all Sonar users can't change any values
you have to dial into your programm,
-such as the keyboard range, for instance. :?

I hope you are taking note and eventually going to programm a text pasting option into your software for all the Sonar users.

Best Regards

Barefoot

Return to “Instruments”