Monark is seriously impressive.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Monark

chk071 wrote:Just fiddled a bit with Monark, and found a setting which is pretty close to the sound in the video:

It still sounds cleaner in the video, but, i have a feeling that that is also down to the resonance behavior, and Monark sounds more driven, and dirtier than the Minimoog in the video. Anyway, not too bad for now. :) I think the mistake i always made was to set the frequency of the modulating oscillator 3 too low, it really has to be cranked all the way up.
Keep in mind that you can slightly control the "dirtyness" of Monark by setting the oscillator volume controls (on the mixer part) to really low. This then hits the filter a lot less. You'll need to compensate at the output with something though.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

By the way, does someone know the env release time on the original MM when the decay switch is set off?
Is it zero or some small amount?

On the Monark it seems to be 30 ms or so.

I'd venture to say it was different on each individual Mini. :D

Analysing the YT video it seems to be in the same 30-50 ms ballpark.

Keyboard tracking of osc 3 should also be turned off .

In monark the osc 3 will always bleed into the filter when filter FM is on and thus be audible , regardless if osc 3 on or off , or global leakage is on /off .
I wonder if this is the case on a moog .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote:Keyboard tracking of osc 3 should also be turned off .

In monark the osc 3 will always bleed into the filter when filter FM is on and thus be audible , regardless if osc 3 on or off , or global leakage is on /off .
So this seems to be the aditional "noise" that i mentioned when i posted my Legend and Monark screenshots.

Does not happen in The Legend and i also did not hear it in the video.

I was not able to get rid of it in Monark yet while i mostly use The Legend anyway since i got it.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:
Chris-S wrote:While noodling in Monark I discovered that Monarks outputs a (low vol) tone even when all 5 mixer switches are turned off.

Bug, or analog behaviour?
Seems to be the "Leakage" parameter/knob at page B of Monark which normally i set to 0 when i use Monark.

Noppes , see post above .
When filter fm is on , osc 3/noise will always bleed through
Eyeball exchanging

gentleclockdivider wrote:Keyboard tracking of osc 3 should also be turned off .
Someone already commented on it not sounding "clean", and that's helped by leaving the keyboard tracking ON with OSC 3's modulation, rather than off. The sound doesn't depend on it being left off. In fact, you might find you'll struggle to get the "ahh" vocal quality to the sound without the keytrack on once it's dialed in (can't really replicate by turning KT off and then using a slower rate).

It's a sound with few variables, where the main factor is dialing in the filter envelopes and res amount pretty exactly, which leaves the limited cutoff range to move within.

The behaviour of the modulation is also influenced by the oscillator detune set on page B, and you will have to adjust tuning to work best with wherever you play on the keyboard, once you turn tracking on. But the screenshot settings I posted on the earlier page just use max pitch and (mod wheel) rate, and I was happy enough with the result..

Leakage should be turned off on Monark. It's more like a "we copied that too" joke, than providing any interesting input to the model. You might want something equivalent if it were influencing resonance or doing something interesting etc. But just purely bleed noise itself is one of those aspects of analogue few would miss :)
Last edited by PAK on Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hm, doesn't the keyboard tracking affect the modulation rate then?

I was also quite happy when i fiddled some more, and found a setting which is pretty close to the one in the vid. I only fail to make it just as clean as in the video. May have to do with the leakage indeed. Anyway.

chk071 wrote:Hm, doesn't the keyboard tracking affect the modulation rate then?
Yes it will - It will usually slow it down (depending where you play). But, within the "right" keyboard range, it tends to work better when adding a vocal quality to the sound, so I edited the remarks to clarify :)
I was also quite happy when i fiddled some more, and found a setting which is pretty close to the one in the vid. I only fail to make it just as clean as in the video. May have to do with the leakage indeed. Anyway.
Did you try adjusting the oscillator detune, as it can influence the modulation, depending on where the tuning is set? If it's unwanted pitches from the modulation itself, usually tuning higher is better in terms of reducing perception of that..

Oh also, if anyone wants to actually "play" the filter to make it speak, you might want to turn the amp sustain up, depending on how you play it :)

Do you mean the "octave detune", or the "drift" option on the B page? I fiddled a bit with the octave detuning yesterday, but, haven't really noticed an effect on the "cleanness".

chk071 wrote:Do you mean the "octave detune", or the "drift" option on the B page? I fiddled a bit with the octave detuning yesterday, but, haven't really noticed an effect on the "cleanness".
Octave detune - it depends on the notes you play, doesn't need KT on, and you'll hear it sound kinda like note retrigger when you adjust. Its influence on pitch is small, but it's there.

But, come to think of it, the low/high value on page B's modwheel settings are actually more important, because, if those don't match someone's settings, the main page settings won't match up either, given it's so reliant on the right filter setting plus modulation :)

Good example of how you could share a preset but, without the same page B setting, it'd sound different. I always though it was kinda strange / stupid that Monark doesn't save that info within the patches.. :shrug:

gentleclockdivider wrote:In monark the osc 3 will always bleed into the filter when filter FM is on and thus be audible , regardless if osc 3 on or off , or global leakage is on /off .
Yep, it (any Minimoog) does that.

Urs wrote:
gentleclockdivider wrote:In monark the osc 3 will always bleed into the filter when filter FM is on and thus be audible , regardless if osc 3 on or off , or global leakage is on /off .
Yep, it (any Minimoog) does that.
Nice.
But diva only does this when there's enough mix.feedback applied , and the waveform of the modular isn't verry apparent , where as in monark , osc3 really bleeds through in fm mode , altough not verry loud ..you can clearly hear which waveorm is selected

I also noticed a difference ,in monark when OSC 3 is set to osc.fm , it is also slighlty modulating itself..resulting in subtle skewed waveform ( verry subtle )
Diva does not .
Last edited by gentleclockdivider on Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eyeball exchanging

gentleclockdivider wrote:Diva does not .
I know :oops:

Return to “Instruments”