Why does having "too many" soft synths bother me?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I keep trying to reduce my synth list to the bare minimum but end up in a circle argument with myself.
I want to get rid of anything redundant. But then I realize that the limitations or idiosyncrasies of a particular synth make it enjoyable. Then when I don't use something that much I figure I shouldn't have it. Then I play with it again and remember that it's fun. And so on.

So I hardly ever buy new synths these days, but the ones I have I've mostly had for some time (Komplete synths, Omnisphere/Trilian, Alchemy, Zebra, Corona, Aalto and a handful of analog emulations like Diva, gforce etc.). It's a good mix of modern workstation/hybrid synths and simple vintage style ones. But I can't bring myself to even consider adding any more and still try to figure out what I can get rid of. It's like reverse GAS! I see the Mangle granular synth for example, looks sweet, only 20 pounds. But it annoys me thinking about acquiring a new plug-in!

The weird thing is that over the past few years I've really taken to interesting sampled instruments and instrument libraries - Things like SonicCouture or other rare instruments, strings, brass, woodwinds, percussion and orchestral ensembles. And these things take up a ton of space on my hard drive, and cost often 3 or 4 times what a soft synth would cost. Soft synths are incredible value for the most part when you think about it. Yet I don't feel the same need to keep libraries to a minimum for what I need.

I think maybe it's because a synth actually lets you design the sound and perhaps I feel I'm doing myself a disservice by having too many, since I won't get the most out of the ones I have. I don't know.

Any other sufferers of reverse GAS? :hihi:

Nope :lol: 8)
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

I would say, you prob need to get out more... :wink:

Echoes - I know exactly how you feel. In fact, I've actually deleted paid sample libraries (that I couldn't resell). In part, because I didn't actually like them (GAS got me), but also because I like having a smaller set of stuff.

For me, my preference is synths for anthing non-organic, and sample sets for real instruments (orchestral, ethnic, etc.).

But, for a long time my urge to purge, my possession compression obsession ruled me - not just with music software, but with all of my possessions. Ultimatley I found the right balance point for myself after years of widdling down what I owned. Part of getting there was getting over the money lost on things I bought (when I couldn't easily recoup what I spent), but once I got over that, I was able to purge by selling or donating, and in some cases just deleting and having it be a lesson - GAS is bad, mmmkay.

But.. yes.... I know how you feel :D

For me, synth GAS was over for a while. I'm using two synths only. But effects, that's a whole different story...

4 years ago I was still collecting everything, every free sample library, every free synth, every free effect. When I saw the word "free", I downloaded it even if I never used it.

But now I can resist most times when I see just another Synthmaker or Synthedit synth or effect. I only download the good stuff.

And I've deleted a lot of samples & plugins in the previous months, I even deleted whole synth & effect bundles.

This year I got too many synths and too many effects to really learn any of them properly (hey, they were all on sale). One or two are stellar, some of them are good, some of them are mediocre, but the real deal is that you have to spend the same amount of time learning a great synth as you would spend learning a mediocre synth.

There ain't that much time in the day.

It is maybe like eating too much food! You feel fat then you need to loose weight! Eat what you need and exercise (use them), then you won't feel fat 8)

I know what you mean exactly. Some time ago I found less is more and too many choices are limiting, realy. But what to do if all you got is only great, and you love all of it?
Well, i uninstalled everything and sold some. Then I started to handpick a small, tight package of freeware stuff. I didn't pay a dime, so I had no regret whatsoever when uninstalling it back. After a while I landed myself with very nice, yet very small plug-in arsenal that allows me to do everything I want. And if I cannot do everything out of the box, then I need to get creative and that's even better. Juices are flowing. I installed back some of them paid stuff eventually but seriously, I don't use it that often anymore. Only payware I do use a lot nowadays is Renoise (Studio One, Reason and FL are collecting virtual dust, oh well) and Tremor which has no freeware replacemnt for me.
But unfortunatelly christmass is coming and I start GASing myself about sugarbytes WOW2 and Uhbik range... Hope it will pass :D

EnGee wrote:It is maybe like eating too much food! You feel fat then you need to loose weight! Eat what you need and exercise (use them), then you won't feel fat 8)

haha nice one. :D
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

"Why does having "too many" soft synths bother me?"

Maybe you feel guilty for being rich, give to the poor, give to me! :D

I try to artificially limit my selection at a certain time - in Renoise I purge and redo my favorites; Live I create racks based on what I feel like using for a while. I'm not the type to ever sell anything though, but I can't stand that clutter in my browser either.

Not even counting the Reaktor and Kontakt sample-based synths - it gets Inception level deep there...

I'm trying to do sets of short pieces now, and only use certain instruments and effects (which are another problem - how many compressors do I need?) - hopefully will add some coherence to the pieces.

I think it's a good thing to have a huge list to pick from, 'cause once you've tried them all you can decide which are best to keep while having a complete picture of what really fits your style & workflow.

On the other hand, I do agree that you (often) come to a point when you have to say "enough is enough" :) I especially dislike having tons of effects that do the same thing - "only differently"; so I keep only a couple of each type that offer the best compromise feature/soundwise. As for synths, I have certain requirements that help trimming the list down quite a bit. Even so, if after a long period of time I see that certain ones are not getting used, they get deleted (well, archived).
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

I make different styles under a range of aliases and I find different soft synths suit different aliases. For example - for my main production name I use the analogue emulation stuff like Diva, TAL, Lush etc and for chillout or more progressive stuff I use Omnisphere, Z3ta, Sylenth etc.

Admittedly there are synths in there I wish I hadn't bought because I didn't end up liking them (Tone2 Saurus, Alchemy etc), but I am always looking to add new weapons to my arsenal...

The one point where I do agree is with outboard synths. A couple of years ago I went on a big analogue/outboard binge (Moog Voyager, Little Phatty, SE Code etc) and found my productivity and quality of my music went into the toilet - the exact opposite to what I had hoped...

Remembers me of an old topic of mine:

My plugin collection shrinks ... and that's good!
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=249166

Actually i own 10 softsynths but most of them just because old tracks make use of them.

But i know it's hard to delete plugins and it's much harder to not get any new ones ;)

Return to “Instruments”