Any really simple plugin chainers?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mysticvibes wrote:Tried it and didn't find it to be intuitive at all, I have no idea whats going on with that thing, where to insert the plugins, there pre, post and some other options, the routing is complicated and when i added some vsti's it sounded different when loading outside the plugin stacked playing same midi, so maybe I'm not using it right?
Look at the image under 'Operation' on this page.

http://www.bluecataudio.com/Doc/Product ... rInterface

Thats a streamlined view of Patchworks, and as simple as any chainer Im aware of gets.
Set it to one column, however many rows you want, and switch off the assignable controls and maybe even the in and out meters. Voila.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

BlueCat looks very interesting to me. Downloaded the demo to give it a try. Just wish I was aware of it back in December when the sale was still on...

I bought Chainer back in the day, and I still find it perfect for how I work; exept for one major problem. The dev has stated he is not going to update it to use the newer changes in VST formats and 64 bit. Yet it is still being sold. I think this is unfair to the people who purchased his product. This is very frustrating and pisses me off. He should at least sell it to another dev who can continue development on it.

You guys would just break down in tears if I told you how easy, intuitive and FUN it was to do this using KORE 2....

Not just serial chains either, but parallel and even mixtures of serial & parallel combinations all saved and recalled with a click from a simple interface...

(~~~looks into distance and sighs wistfully~~~ )

Been trying out the blue cat today, very easy and works great. I really like it. Just wish I knew about it when it was on sale. :dog:

Also trying the demo out from Bluecats - but each time I try and stack two synths, they don't both trigger at the same time, is there a special trick to this or something?

I can't find any documentation on stacking and it not triggering both, so is it the demo that suffers from this? I can insert fx no problems, but stacking two synths or more, produces only one sound here, doesn't seem right...
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

trusampler wrote:Also trying the demo out from Bluecats - but each time I try and stack two synths, they don't both trigger at the same time, is there a special trick to this or something?

I can't find any documentation on stacking and it not triggering both, so is it the demo that suffers from this? I can insert fx no problems, but stacking two synths or more, produces only one sound here, doesn't seem right...
I didn't spend a lot of time with it, (about a half an hour), but I stacked three synths and it worked flawlessly. Next time I'll add a couple of effects and see if that changes triggering more than it should. Of course, I loaded it into savihost so I could work it as a stand-alone. I thought it had its own but maybe its absent in the demo version? But I'll try it in my DAW next time too.

maxmace wrote:You guys would just break down in tears if I told you how easy, intuitive and FUN it was to do this using KORE 2....

Not just serial chains either, but parallel and even mixtures of serial & parallel combinations all saved and recalled with a click from a simple interface...

Surprised this didn't get mention until page 2. :o

mysticvibes wrote:I'm not looking for anything modular or routing type chainers, something more simple...
Is it a speed issue?

BBFG# wrote:
I didn't spend a lot of time with it, (about a half an hour), but I stacked three synths and it worked flawlessly. Next time I'll add a couple of effects and see if that changes triggering more than it should. Of course, I loaded it into savihost so I could work it as a stand-alone. I thought it had its own but maybe its absent in the demo version? But I'll try it in my DAW next time too.

Cool,if you don't mind to drop a line on how you achieved the stack, I'd appreciate it, I cant seem to figure it out. Is there a certain preset you used?
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

trusampler wrote:
BBFG# wrote:
Cool,if you don't mind to drop a line on how you achieved the stack, I'd appreciate it, I cant seem to figure it out. Is there a certain preset you used?
Well, I'm 17 miles away from it now but IIRC, I just clicked on the center boxes of load vst synth and then navigated to where I know the vst.dll were. BC opens up with a default of three columns and two rows but you can another row near the top left of the GUI. I also took out a column but returned it quick as it stopped working for a minute and it was nice it didn't make me start over by doing that. I didn't load anything in the first or third column, but switched on the buttons pre and post which shows an immediate 'path line' and then there's the 'volume knobs' right after the post vst (effects). There is a mix button at the top right also which worked in an obvious manner between two, but adding the third , I couldn't really hear a difference as much. Obviously something I have to actually read up on.
I stacked one instance of Gladiator, one instance of ZebraHZ, and one instance of VA-2. Found some quick presets to compliment each other but still let me hear a noticeable difference between them. There is a 'demo' silence(?) that happens every few seconds or so. I still enjoyed it quite a bit for a first session.

rcat wrote:I bought Chainer back in the day, and I still find it perfect for how I work; exept for one major problem. The dev has stated he is not going to update it to use the newer changes in VST formats and 64 bit. Yet it is still being sold. I think this is unfair to the people who purchased his product. This is very frustrating and pisses me off. He should at least sell it to another dev who can continue development on it.
Same exact deal for this guy, "Console" -

http://console.jp/en/

I still use it for testing stuff but couldn't be easier for quick and flexible chaining...

Oh, and it also acted as a vst/vsti itself which opened a lot of possibilities back in the day when most DAW's had fairly rigid routing.

Edit - just reread the OP, probably more than what you are asking for...

mysticvibes wrote:I assume you mean use a template as a vsti chainer 'preset' with each synth receiving midi from same generator and simply use the merge function in orion, with the template being a sfs file right? Thats is one possiblity, albiet a bit cumbersome, but I'd still prefer a simple to use vsti chainer whenever possible. Thanks for reminding me of that method though.
No, templates and merge are diff. You can use the fx container fully loaded and save as a template

BBFG#,
Thanks a bunch, I'm not sure how I missed that,but i was placing synths on the Pre insert, lol You got me sorted.

On the fence about buying this, it sure will help out in studio one, where they don't seem to think track presets are necessary, but I'd love for them to add a small browser for our plugins, I'm so tired of all the menus to find plugins.total workflow killer. spoiled by studio ones browser apparently :hihi:
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

maxmace wrote:You guys would just break down in tears if I told you how easy, intuitive and FUN it was to do this using KORE 2....

Was?.. I still use my KORE 2 whenever I need to chain plugins together and have no plans to stop using it. I'm really glad that NI released a 64-bit version before they stopped supporting it.

-e.B
-- Insert profound words here --

Return to “Instruments”