[BreakTweaker] New Izotope @ NAMM

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Had a good play around last night on it, looking more under the hood. I take back part of my underdeveloped quote, but I still fell there could be some improvements.
Discovered the multiouts, which is great.
I may have missed it, but on any synth parts changing the pitch or being able to play melodies into individual parts. Is it possible. I can see each note/part can be tuned but not a sequence of notes individually.
I think, for me, the approach of using ones own samples is the way forward. I had play using some existing waveform samples I was struggling to achieve what I thought should be possible. Need more time I guess, but I don't think this is one for me. I want to like it. The workflow feels fiddly and timely.
Still great fun but I stand by the overpriced statement.

MFXxx wrote:
Nice work on the demo, sounds very good.
Thanks.
MFXxx wrote:I may have missed it, but on any synth parts changing the pitch or being able to play melodies into individual parts. Is it possible. I can see each note/part can be tuned but not a sequence of notes individually.
I haven't found anything easier than setting the pitch for each slice by hand and then switching between scenes. That was the point where I came to the conclusion that it needs a wider range of MIDI keyswitches. It can trigger single hits or scenes, but the ability to trigger a lane individually and set whether it starts at the beginning or at the last played point would be very handy. I can see for some situations simply running out of scenes for anything that needs some melodic interest in the bass. OTOH, it's at that point I might just record the output and feed it to a sampler and go from there.
MFXxx wrote:I think, for me, the approach of using ones own samples is the way forward. I had play using some existing waveform samples I was struggling to achieve what I thought should be possible. Need more time I guess, but I don't think this is one for me. I want to like it. The workflow feels fiddly and timely.
It handles sample start and end point modulation really well, but only via host automation. However, for that sort of sample mayhem I suspect the upcoming Renoise sampler plugin will turn out to be more useful and cheaper.

cron wrote:
... featuring BT's patented micro edit technology based on pioneering rhythmic sound design research...
http://patent.ipexl.com/inventor/Brian_Transeau_1.html

With particular reference to: http://patent.ipexl.com/U2S/20090281793ZZDASHZZA1.html

Isn't anybody else concerned by this? We often have discussions around here about how glitch edits are better when done manually. It looks like you'd have no other choice if BT/Izotope get their way.

We all know that Stutter Edit is a marketing term, but attempting to patent the process so competitor's software can't do it? I'm pretty sure that DBlue Glitch and Livecut offered exactly the functionality described prior to 2007, and composers have been doing the rhythmic/pitch crossover effect all the way back to 1957 when Stockhausen published How Time Passes.

Do I just not understand how patents work?

This is very troubling. A search of the US Patent Office actually reveals three patent applications. One is a means of live triggering of alternate audio recordings, in a way which appears to describe Ableton's clip launcher.

Personally, I'm going to make my feelings about this known to Izotope. I don't need their products, and refuse to do business with someone like BT who claims ownership of broad areas of music technology with decades of prior art!

Boycott Izotope!
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:
cron wrote:
... featuring BT's patented micro edit technology based on pioneering rhythmic sound design research...
http://patent.ipexl.com/inventor/Brian_Transeau_1.html

With particular reference to: http://patent.ipexl.com/U2S/20090281793ZZDASHZZA1.html

Isn't anybody else concerned by this? We often have discussions around here about how glitch edits are better when done manually. It looks like you'd have no other choice if BT/Izotope get their way.

We all know that Stutter Edit is a marketing term, but attempting to patent the process so competitor's software can't do it? I'm pretty sure that DBlue Glitch and Livecut offered exactly the functionality described prior to 2007, and composers have been doing the rhythmic/pitch crossover effect all the way back to 1957 when Stockhausen published How Time Passes.

Do I just not understand how patents work?

This is very troubling. A search of the US Patent Office actually reveals three patent applications. One is a means of live triggering of alternate audio recordings, in a way which appears to describe Ableton's clip launcher.

Personally, I'm going to make my feelings about this known to Izotope. I don't need their products, and refuse to do business with someone like BT who claims ownership of broad areas of music technology with decades of prior art!

Boycott Izotope!
I feel very strongly the same way. I don't know much about patents, and it could be benign I suppose. They patented the "T-pain Effect" (which was basically "The Cher Effect" with a cheezy urban flava) but they don't appear to have stopped other companies like Antares from selling the same type of product. Which is just as well, as surely they'd be laughed out of court in any just world.

All the MicroStutter or whatever effect is doing is basically granular stuff, only with musical metrics such as beats and bars. This is the same thing beat slicer plugins have been doing for ages, only with a couple of extra features.

If BT really honestly feels this is his "discovery" then the guy has his head so far up his arse I fear there's no hope for him.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

I like Izotope, their booth seemed to all be geared towards this one product release though. I was pleasantly surprised when one of their staff gave a small demo and tutorial to the two of us interested more in RX3 Advanced (I have the standard version). I understand they fill different niches and SE/BT isn't one I belong to. But Iris/RX3 are ones I do get and have a purpose for. I may boycott a product by default of it not being geared to my needs in the first place, but I think you can count me as pretty much of a fan of Izotope.

I like Izotope too, and own their products. But these baseless patent applications are directly related to the sale of software products created by BT's development partner, Izotope. If you want to make any kind of impact on BT, tout have to do that through Izotope. Make your displeasure known, and hopefully they'll respond.

Some companies apply for patents just to stop others from doing it first, with no intention of limiting their use. Sadly, I don't get that warm fuzzy feeling here. And yes, these patents, if granted, could have a serious chilling effect on the industry. At best, every other developer of granular synthesis could be required to pay BT a licensing fee.

Again, this isn't about disliking izotope, but there really is no other way to put a stop to this nonsense.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Back in the day, Moog had a patent that pretty much kept everyone else working in secret or trying to find legal loopholes around it. In response to that, one company made a product that granted them something like 32 patent pendings. Patents can be part of the process that lead to progress via competition. So let them, all this seems a little misplaced to me.

And the only patent laws I'm concerned about are the ones saying if you use our seed, we own your food (and thereby own you).

deastman wrote:I like Izotope too, and own their products. But these baseless patent applications are directly related to the sale of software products created by BT's development partner, Izotope. If you want to make any kind of impact on BT, tout have to do that through Izotope. Make your displeasure known, and hopefully they'll respond.

Some companies apply for patents just to stop others from doing it first, with no intention of limiting their use. Sadly, I don't get that warm fuzzy feeling here. And yes, these patents, if granted, could have a serious chilling effect on the industry. At best, every other developer of granular synthesis could be required to pay BT a licensing fee.

Again, this isn't about disliking izotope, but there really is no other way to put a stop to this nonsense.
If it did come to that, I think there would be something to the effect of an online war against Izotope. They simply would make so many enemies in the process that I doubt they'd even dare it. I hope so, anyway :)
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

After installing the BreakTweaker demo i noticed that the cpu consumption can skyrocket like crazy.
On the most powerful Macbook to date after some tweaks on a demo preset, like applying a filter an envelope and a distortion on a single sound the cpu meter went from 30% to 70%.

Maybe i´ll have a look at it again in 12 months after some patches on the cpu cycles have been done.

the patent thing is hilarious. i wonder if it comes from BT or izotope. BT made claims long ago.. in interviews etc that he invented the stutter edit and something called "squabble beats".. which is pretty funny considering he made this claim dead smack in the middle of all the IDM insanity of the late 90s early 2000s. it was the source of much joking over at em411.com when that was still a very active place.

i'm not gonna sit here and deny the man's talent or some cool things he did to vocals of pop songs using kyma or whatever but i find it all a big ego servicing or something.. which to me is all just nonsense and a further footnote to some kind of bullshit celebrity DJ status or some nonsense.

or perhaps it's just further anecdotal driblbe to get folded into the hype machine to try and sell this somewhat sort of almost interesting product at an inflated price.

it's a weird thing to patent. i don't really understand it. but i'm sure there is weirder shit in the halls of the patent office.

From what I've read so far about Mr. Transeau, he seems to be a level-headed guy, the hair notwithstanding. Maybe we don't have all the facts here, so I'd be careful about jumping to conclusions. The patents seem to reference the product, not the method... anyway, again, we don't have the facts or the knowledge (I'm guessing no one here is a patent lawyer, which requires a PhD and lots of additional training), so maybe it's too early to declare war on Izotope.

ariston wrote:From what I've read so far about Mr. Transeau, he seems to be a level-headed guy, the hair notwithstanding. Maybe we don't have all the facts here, so I'd be careful about jumping to conclusions. The patents seem to reference the product, not the method... anyway, again, we don't have the facts or the knowledge (I'm guessing no one here is a patent lawyer, which requires a PhD and lots of additional training), so maybe it's too early to declare war on Izotope.

yeah.. no reason for hysterics. it's just fodder for entertainment between doing more serious things.

Whats this talk of patents, online wars and such against Izotope? Nonsense. It's called IP - intellectual property. If someone else invented it then let them patent it.

Frantz wrote:
Rajah wrote:This video shows the infinite possibilities...
Not trying to be rude but it does sound like you're underestimating the size of infinity by a bit. :)
Underestimating it by infinity I would say. :hihi:
Massive, Serum. Diva, Repro-1, HIVE, Spire presets, Reason ReFills more! https://NewLoops.com

C-note wrote:Whats this talk of patents, online wars and such against Izotope? Nonsense. It's called IP - intellectual property. If someone else invented it then let them patent it.
who invented granular synthesis? who invented chopping up samples and rearranging the slices?

it's laughable.

but yeah.. patenting their proprietary process or whatever. that's a separate thing.. but ya know.. i took a uniquely shaped dump this morning.. i think i'm going to patent it.

Return to “Instruments”