Padshop Pro for £32 - Worth getting?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

aMUSEd wrote:OK I'm going blind here - all I can see is a disk icon for saving a multi program at the top of the multi's bar, and a smaller one for saving pad presets next to the pads, but nowhere to save an actual single programme - this is with the AU in Logic I should add (don't have Cubase)
Found it - it's a right click option! You have to rightclick on a programme in the multi panel.

WTF? I just installed Zero Gravity and Granular Symphones, and the original presets for Padshop Pro have disappeard from its preset browser. They're still in the right folder on-disk, though, but even a reinstall hasnt restored them.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:WTF? I just installed Zero Gravity and Granular Symphones, and the original presets for Padshop Pro have disappeard from its preset browser. They're still in the right folder on-disk, though, but even a reinstall hasnt restored them.
Did you read the installation instructions properly?

I can't remember seeing anybody else having this problem stated previously in the thread.

Numanoid wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:WTF? I just installed Zero Gravity and Granular Symphones, and the original presets for Padshop Pro have disappeard from its preset browser. They're still in the right folder on-disk, though, but even a reinstall hasnt restored them.
Did you read the installation instructions properly?
Could you be more specific as to which installation instructions you're talking about?

And to make it clear, prior to installing the expansions, Padshsop Pro was already installed and its included presets were working.
After installing the expansions, the included presets are missing from the browser, but the new presets are present.
I can't remember seeing anybody else having this problem stated previously in the thread.
No, me neither. If they had I wouldnt be posting. Perhaps someone might have some relevant and useful information though.

whyterabbyt wrote:
No, me neither. If they had I wouldnt be posting. Perhaps someone might have some relevant and useful information though.
Kind of weird that it should first happen to you then.

Numanoid wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
Kind of weird that it should first happen to you then.
Im not exactly sure why anyone would think its kind of weird that a problem would happen first to any specific individual. There will always be a person to whom it happens first. And we've not even established to any satisfaction that its never happened to anyone else.

I find it kind of weird that it would require comment of this kind in the first place. Any particular reason you feel the need to do so?

Could you answer my earlier question first, though, please? You referred to installation instructions; I'd like to know which ones you were referring to, thank you.

whyterabbyt wrote:Could you answer my earlier question first, though, please? You referred to installation instructions; I'd like to know which ones you were referring to, thank you.
When installing GS one can select which folder to install to, did you change the default?

Numanoid wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:Could you answer my earlier question first, though, please? You referred to installation instructions; I'd like to know which ones you were referring to, thank you.
When installing GS one can select which folder to install to, did you change the default?
Yes, I did. And the expansion installers were aware of which folder I had selected, and installed their content there too.

The folder contains three .vstsound files, one of which is the original content (FCP_SCM_113_Padshop.vstsound or somesuch), plus one each for the two expansion sets (ADD_SMT_blah.vstsound). That's what I was saying in my original post when I said "They're still in the right folder on-disk"

whyterabbyt wrote:Yes, I did. And the expansion installers were aware of which folder I had selected, and installed their content there too.

The folder contains three .vstsound files, one of which is the original content (SCM_113_Padshop.vstsound or somesuch), plus one each for the two expansion sets (EXP_blah.vstsound). That's what I was saying in my original post when I said "They're still in the right folder on-disk"
I suggest trying to copy the Factory/Factory Pro from the VST3 Presets folder in the ProgramData folder to the Padshop pro folder under User/Roaming/VST3 Presets/Steinberg/Padshop

Numanoid wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:Yes, I did. And the expansion installers were aware of which folder I had selected, and installed their content there too.

The folder contains three .vstsound files, one of which is the original content (SCM_113_Padshop.vstsound or somesuch), plus one each for the two expansion sets (EXP_blah.vstsound). That's what I was saying in my original post when I said "They're still in the right folder on-disk"
I suggest trying to copy the Factory/Factory Pro from the VST3 Presets folder in the ProgramData folder to the Padshop pro folder under User/Roaming/VST3 Presets/Steinberg/Padshop
That's on the right track, but it wouldnt have worked in this instance, as it turns out; I suspect it should have been the opposite way round.

The reason is that the ProgramData-based folder is the one that would used when you install for all users (ie by ticking the option in the installer), while the latter folder in Appdata is the one used for 'just this user' install.
I believe I must have installed Padshop with the 'for all users' option on initially, but off for the two expansions. For some reason Padshop has changed where it looks for presets based on the subsequent two installs. Its somewhat disconcerting that the installers dont remember this seemingly rather crucial setting the way they do the folder location.
Uninstalling all three and reinstalling them with 'for all users' ticked consistently for each installer in turn has resolved this. Presumably leaving it on the default, ie unticked, would do the same, which is presumably why its not something which has been encountered by folk here.
Now to move it all out of ProgramData and set up some junction points.

Think I'm going to skip buying Gran Symp after all.

Have been tinkering a bit with the trial, but feel the sounds are too specific to Stockhausen's own use/sound. I like taking a patch and working on with it, I feel a bit lost how I can do that with these patches.

So my only investment during the sale has thus been Dark Planet. And quite happy with that, even though it feels like a Rompler at first, adding a couple of channels, and playing them at once, really stacks up the sounds for some nice drones :)

whyterabbyt wrote:with the 'for all users' option on initially, but off for the two expansions
This option must be the reason for at least 50% of all Steinberg's support cases. :roll: [/irony]

Why don't they simply install the content "for all users" every time? Well, ok, maybe there are production studios sharing one computer with many clients? I don't know. Doesn't have everyone his or her own computer nowadays? Even my 10 year old... ah, well..

Hadrondrift wrote: Well, ok, maybe there are production studios sharing one computer with many clients?
Which would mean each client installing the same Steinberg product "only for me" on the same machine :D

Hadrondrift wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:with the 'for all users' option on initially, but off for the two expansions
This option must be the reason for at least 50% of all Steinberg's support cases. :roll: [/irony]
is it a common thing then? damn. i did spend time googling, and searching on the steinberg forums but couldnt track down anything which sounded like the symptoms i was seeing. obviously i was searching for the wrong thing.

credit where credit is due, though; if i hadnt worked it out what I'd actually done, Numanoid's post would have been enough for me to work out where the underlying result of it was so I could fix it. so kudos to him for that.
Why don't they simply install the content "for all users" every time? Well, ok, maybe there are production studios sharing one computer with many clients? I don't know. Doesn't have everyone his or her own computer nowadays? Even my 10 year old... ah, well..
yeah, its slightly odd. more odd still is the fact that it occurs to me that, after what i guess was doing the padshop install for 'all', then the expansions for 'just me', it kept 'just me' as the default, but left it like that when i did a 'repair' type install of padshop. that's just inconsistent, to me.

(edited for quote nesting errors)

Return to “Instruments”