ABL3 Coming....

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
AudioRealism Bass Line 2 (ABL2) AudioRealism Bass Line 3 (ABL3) AudioRealism Bass Line Pro (ABL Pro)

1wob2many wrote:Slightly off topic, but I came across this interesting article: http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?2065

One of the Roland engineers confirms what's been said time and time again: "...the original analogs have a different sound in each and every one of them".
It's in the nature of analog gear with the tolerances of components to result in a slightly different sound. But all 303s in spec that we've come across sound undoubtedly like a 303. We offer some trimpots to do minor tweaks to the emulation, but not so much to stray off 303 territory.
AudioRealism
www.audiorealism.se

1wob2many wrote: I understand that ABL3 VST will retain the same skinning method. But I could be wrong.
That's actually not 100% decided yet. While skins are cool we notice it's one of those features that cause maintaining compatibility across all hosts is a bit tricky.
AudioRealism
www.audiorealism.se

zlatan wrote:
bioroid wrote:
I'm looking forward to ABL3 but am disappointed in the lack of innovation on the sequencer side of it.
I rather have a very good sounding 1:1 emulation.
But why rather? Why is it either or? A useful visual pattern sequencer will still sound exactly like it would with the original sequencer at no cost to authenticity.

I just don't understand the desire to see only one step at a time. The authenticity argument holds up for sound but not for other functions like pattern input. It's like presets. Old analog synths do not store presets. If you want 100% authenticity then plugins if that type should not store presets. But that's silly. Adding presets does not hurt the authenticity of the results. Neither would an actually useful pattern sequencer of a 303. Sticking to the poor design of old inefficient pattern generator is similar, I believe, to not allowing presets. And the best 303 emulations, phoscyon and ABL, both still have only this unfortunately.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:But why rather? Why is it either or? A useful visual pattern sequencer will still sound exactly like it would with the original sequencer at no cost to authenticity.

I just don't understand the desire to see only one step at a time.
This is why I've stuck to using Cubase in 32-bit mode with ABL 2.5, because of the ability to tweak a full bar's worth of a pattern inside the "Pattern analysis" dialog box. I don't mind making a tweak here and there with the front panel like a real 303 would be programmed, but it's just quicker (sometimes) to use the dialog box that's available. However, my main reason for wanting to use it is to program lead sounds that simply aren't possible from the front panel, due to the limited range (+/- 1 octave.)

1wob2many wrote:For me it's far quicker to use the pattern sequencer than piano roll. And you can't emulate the pattern sequencer properly using the piano roll.

Besides the specs given above were for RE version of ABL3. The RE version of ABL2 didn't have a pattern sequencer in it, which would suggest that users of ABL2 RE have asked for a pattern sequencer. So there. :P

You can use the piano roll. I can use the pattern sequencer. We're both happy. :)

But please don't assume that the way you like to work is the best way to work.

Time to move on....
Pattern editor can stay, I don't care. Working with the piano roll may not be the best way, but the most comfortable.

What I really like to see would be midi drag'n'drop to get those patterns into my sequencer. I know it works with midi out, but dragging would be the faster way.

Naenyn wrote: Do any of you have any comments on ABL2 (or 3) compared with d16 Phoscyon? I had Phoscyon but couldn't get in to it and ended up selling it. I'm hoping I have a better experience with ABL3.
I use both. What I like about Phoscyon is the more advanced randomizer (if you understand how it works), and having presets is a time saver for me. Cannot complain about having more parameters to tweak either. On the other hand, all D-16 stuff is a bit tricky to program, because of that hardware emulation paradigm...

If I had to choose now (and if there wasn't a new ABL3 coming) I'd choose Phoscyon, in a full mix nobody will hear a difference anyways (a lot of people wouldn't even hear the difference between a real 303 and a Sylenth 303 preset...) And there's also some hope that U-he will deliver some 303 oscs with a later Diva update. :love:

As I put 303/acid sounds on almost all of my tracks, I really looking forward to ABL3... :hyper:

A Rob Papen style sequencer would be nice.

Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

2ZrgE wrote:What I really like to see would be midi drag'n'drop to get those patterns into my sequencer.
:tu:

That would be a really handy feature. :)

For any users of Reason 7.1 or later out there, there is an invitation on Audiorealism's Facebook page for beta testers for ABL3 RE:

"Thanks for the positive response to the ABL3 RE announcement!

We've got quite a few beta tester offers and, yes, we are accepting some more beta testers, but primarily looking for users that: 1) Can help make preset patches, 2) Have 303s and/or can help doing comparison videos

Having Reason 7.1 or later is a requirement and we ask all users to join our forum at http://audiorealism.se/phpBB2/ (use your Reason name for simplicity). So if you are interested shoot an email to info@audiorealism.se about who you are and how you would like to contribute."

If this is already in beta, that's good news, seems like a possible release this year sometime. Looking forward to ABL3.

It would be super badass if Audiorealism came up with a template for a hardware controller or an iPad app that allows you to interact with the software directly, mainly the sequences as the sequencer and it's workflow is the most tedious part of the 303.

Hi Mike, will the VST version still have the Rebirth import and pattern analyser? I wondered because I haven't seen these features among the RE features (but I don't know if these were also previously not featured in the RE version). Thanks!

stikygum wrote:It would be super badass if Audiorealism came up with a template for a hardware controller or an iPad app that allows you to interact with the software directly, mainly the sequences as the sequencer and it's workflow is the most tedious part of the 303.
...don't know if you're aware of that or if this might be of any use for you. maybe you can program it in the app and load patterns & presets in the plug-in :shrug:

https://www.audiorealism.se/store/c5/iOS_Apps.html

loachm wrote:Hi Mike, will the VST version still have the Rebirth import and pattern analyser? I wondered because I haven't seen these features among the RE features (but I don't know if these were also previously not featured in the RE version). Thanks!
Oh, well the RE version is really a different product, we've tried to point out that it's the sound engine that is shared between the VST and RE, other features may differ. But yes, Rebirth import and pattern analyser will stick around in the ABL3 VST.
AudioRealism
www.audiorealism.se

:tu: :tu: :tu: :D

When will we see ABL3 come, any slated release date?

Return to “Instruments”