IKM SampleTank 3 (ST3) Now Available

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SampleTank SampleTank 3

BBFG# wrote:But at it's most simple basis, a Sampler samples without the need for something else to do that for it.
Good old Direct Wave is a sampler then 8)

Numanoid wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:Can it sample? It's always seemed odd to me that we don't have a problem calling things that don't actually sample ... samplers ... as that is the one thing they don't do.
By that you mean record audio in?

Being a Sampler, those that entail that it also must be able to add FX if needed when recording audio?

It just seems so obvious to me now that I grab any kind of audio I want with any kind of prog, and then load that WAV file in the plug, without thinking twice about that the plug actually must be able to capture that audio itself to be a sampler.
The ability to record is THE primary function of a sampler. Anything else is a sample editor or a a rompler. Of course anything that records audio is NOT a sampler ...
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

By the way, to their credit, I don't believe IK refers to SampleTank3 as a sampler. They refer to it as a workstation (at least as far as I've seen). Which is significantly more accurate. And a tank could be construed as a large container for samples or as a heavily armored piece of software! Either way, the name or media content does not imply sampling capability.

The one big thing that's not clear for me,
Can Sampletank 3 stream from disk like
Kontakt and other big soft samplers? :?:
If not then no Sampletank 3 for me!!!!

SJ_Digriz wrote:
BERFAB wrote:Which makes it a full sampler. Good to know.
Can it sample? It's always seemed odd to me that we don't have a problem calling things that don't actually sample ... samplers ... as that is the one thing they don't do. Welcome to pedantic Monday! :party:
Nowadays either musicians or industry call "samplers" those instruments that can manipulate wav/aiff samples and let you build libraries. They can import/load different formats (akai, giga, halion, exs24, sfz, etc.). On the contrary, what you call "a sampler" is actually called a digital recorder nowadays. Or some "live" features you can find in loopers and such. I guess vintage "real samplers" like the Mirage, Akai, Roland etc. are not even called "samplers" anymore by current musicians... Because they want all those huge libraries made of "X GB for one single instrument" to be played on so-called "samplers" (sample players).

Sampletank is not a sampler (like Kontakt, EXS24, Halion, Machfive etc.), but a "rompler" (or: "workstation"). Its format cannot be imported/converted. You cannot import external libraries and/or manipulate/edit samples. It has however some limited "import features" (akai, wav/aiff: ST "analyzes" them and stretches them in an expectable chromatic order. It just works. Then you can edit the "result" adding effects, filtering, equalizing etc. and save it as a new "ST patch" in your personal ST library. No "exporting to kontakt" feature or such. Not even convertion programs. Just like Alchemy, Nexus, and other romplers.

KEY concept: "sampler" nowadays = sample player (a synth based on sampling synthesis) + it can import and manipulate (already recorded) waveforms. "rompler" = sample player with no import/edit sampling features. "vintage samplers" = old gear having floppy disk drive + jack input for mic/line. "real time sampling with a microphone and manupulating the result in real time or editing it later" = "looper", "loop machine", "realtime sampling machine", "creative digital recorder", "ipad app" or smth.
Last edited by mhog on Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

mhog wrote: KEY concept: "sampler" nowadays = it can import and manipulate (already recorded) waveforms.
The key concept nowadays = bullshit

sampler, means a machine that can take a sample. Lets start calling cars pizzas because that's how they get to your house usually.

Plus, if you bothered to read any of the rest of the stuff I posted, you would realize that we already understand and discussed all the things you posted.

The only thing I understand is this: when I read a catalogue nowadays and look for "sampler" I only find products like Kontakt, Halion, Machfive and such. They have no "audio in". So: they are not "real samplers" (out of the question). Why the audio industry itself calls these sample players "samplers" then?! The answer is rather clear: a sampler nowadays is a sample player (aka a synth based on waveforms + deep manipulation features: cut, merge, add effects, filters, equalize, change rate etc.).

Who knows? Maybe in Alabama 200 years ago people called "a car" something towed by horses and not by motors (meaning "auto-mobile")... Things have changed and nowadays if you want a car you mean "a motor car"... you don't have to specify "in the meaning of auto-mobile"... Because real (original) "cars" are not "motor cars". "Real" cars should have horses, not motors. Etc.

But this is OT. I guess the more important thing to know is that Sampletank IS NOT a "sampler". NOT because it has no "audio in", but because cannot import sampling formats and third party libraries, apart akai and wav/aiff. It is a (very powerful) "rompler" workstation, like Triton, Motif, Fantom, Nexus2, Alchemy, Omnisphere, Halionsonic and such.

Just noticed it's July already..!!!!!!

In England that is.

gigadreamer wrote:The one big thing that's not clear for me,
Can Sampletank 3 stream from disk like
Kontakt and other big soft samplers? :?:
If not then no Sampletank 3 for me!!!!
SampleTank 3 does not, it runs very efficiently and still gives you the quick workflow you expect from SampleTank loading samples in a similar fashion to the previous line.

syncII wrote:Just noticed it's July already..!!!!!!

In England that is.
Yes, sorry it has been a bit quiet here today but there will be news soon about the release so people will have a heads up as to how long the preorder pricing will still be available.

splitting hairs over what is sampler? look at it as another evolution in the music making business... for anyone that calls themselves a "PRODUCER"... are you really a "PRODUCER"?

Quincy Jones is a "PRODUCER"?

:tu:

Just noted that someone lists the Akai format as one of the few that ST3 will import.

I know that Akai was one of the first seriously used formats created for their hardware samplers, and somehow, this format has survived because (I think) of the early proliferation of libraries that used it. But, AFAIK, this is, at this point, very ancient history. I'm one of the old timers here on KVR, and I've never personally even touched an Akai formatted library. So why, even at this very late date, is it still given priority? Can someone please enlighten me?

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

^^ sampletank 2 legacy, probably.

the orginal Miroslav Philharmonik libraries were in Akai format...

:tu:

The Akai format is not a priority in SampleTank 3, and is not going to be able to be imported into it. I know that there was a question about importing sounds from SampleTank 2.5 that had been imported into it from Akai format, and that is possible (because they would be SampleTank 2.5 format) but that's all.

Return to “Instruments”