Best 'uncooked' acoustic drum software?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here is a drum sets may meet your standard, check it out
http://www.supremepiano.com/product/sdrums.html

We produced the Kits 1 through 4 included in BFD3 with Andrew Scheps at Ocean Studios. The kits are not over compressed or EQ'd.. but do include a Kick and Snare compression track which is compressed. These tracks are used to smooth out the Kick & Snare dynamics. As with any kit in BFD, you can use as much or as little of these tracks as you like.

The kits were recorded the same way we always record our kits.. with basic tracking EQ and perhaps a little compression… with the approach of a normal tracking date. They aren't Mix processed like some other libraries on the market… so the kits sound great right away.. but there's plenty of room to adjust them to suit your mix.

This is the same approach used in our Joe Barresi, Andy Johns and Jim Scott libraries.

BFD3 includes lots of presets using the built-in effects in BFD3.. those give you more processed options.. but the actual samples are not over-cooked.

I just checked the tracking notes.. and I only see compression being used on some of the room tracks, other than the Kick & Snare 'thwack' tracks.

Cheers,

Rail

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
There is a new company called Vi-elements, and they just released their "Core Kit" which is by far the best drum sample library I've ever heard. And to your point, they are uncooked.
They are the only library that has the amount of velocity layers, articulations, and alternate hits. I've used EZ, Superior, Slate, BFD, and there is a certain stagnation in the sounds because there are only 7 different hits per velocity. I get bored with all of their sounds. The Core Kit is the complete opposite, they have alternate sounds for days.
Their interface is easy to use, and very intuitive. The unprocessed sounds are incredibly organic, and they put it all together using a "Core Kit" method, meaning that all the supplemental instruments were recorded in the same room with the same toms, and cymbals to get sympathetic vibrations for a more cohesive sound.

Check em out, you will not be disappointed! I have productions with their sounds, and no one can tell that they are sampled drums.

http://vi-elements.com/ (http://vi-elements.com/)

If you're going to Spam be honest about it!
Amazon: why not use an alternative

this one is unprocessed, completely dry recording of a gretch drumkit with zildjian cymbals:
http://www.strayworx.com/blog/2012/12/03/drumod/

Musimagery wrote:There is a new company called Vi-elements, and they just released their "Core Kit" which is by far the best drum sample library I've ever heard. And to your point, they are uncooked.
They are the only library that has the amount of velocity layers, articulations, and alternate hits. I've used EZ, Superior, Slate, BFD, and there is a certain stagnation in the sounds because there are only 7 different hits per velocity. I get bored with all of their sounds. The Core Kit is the complete opposite, they have alternate sounds for days.
Their interface is easy to use, and very intuitive. The unprocessed sounds are incredibly organic, and they put it all together using a "Core Kit" method, meaning that all the supplemental instruments were recorded in the same room with the same toms, and cymbals to get sympathetic vibrations for a more cohesive sound.

Check em out, you will not be disappointed! I have productions with their sounds, and no one can tell that they are sampled drums.

http://vi-elements.com/
A truly cheesy approach this is. 'only 7 different hits per velocity'; I'm unsure about that, but are you saying that more than 7 round robins per each velocity layer equals a superior result per se? I find that whole approach overrated, and my experience is that too much of it is dodgy in drum sequencing, too unpredictable, a too-different result per playback. It puts me in mind of 'randomizing' arbitrarily, too. (IE: the more of a drummer one is the more gimmicky this seems.)
I find some of the features possibly attractive. But this kind of competitive 'I get bored with all their sounds' is childish really, isn't it? I got bored with all of your arguments. Your first post here is to push a product and you're a transparent shill.
Last edited by jancivil on Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Musimagery wrote:There is a new company called Vi-elements, and they just released their "Core Kit" which is by far the best drum sample library I've ever heard.
at $250 it better be!

Yikes, folks really put off by the VI post? ...i have not done much digging with this "musicmagery" but I take it the poster is tied to the company and kinda worded it like he wasn't?

Anyways, I was glad to see some representatives from BFD spoke up, it does appear that much of the audio printing is fairly dry. It makes me optimistic and revives my curiousity simply because how expansive that engine is. I also am intrigued with the Superior drummer 2.0 too. Haven't made any firm decisions yet. However, In my own looking I found these guys: http://www.roomsound.com/

I 'liked' them on Facebook and since have seen some 'in the works' status posts...they are making/coding a Kontakt kit which is the sampler I already use. I am optimistic about this. We'll see.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14Fhll_fZcU

Mostly, thanks for ALL the input, truly some good insight and experience shared here.

sadkin wrote:Yikes, folks really put off by the VI post? ...i have not done much digging with this "musicmagery" but I take it the poster is tied to the company and kinda worded it like he wasn't?
That seems to be the case, yes. Warning issued.
No longer a moderator.

Wow! Tough crowd. Yes Musicmagery is indeed my friend. He has helped me work on the Core Kit and is excited now it's complete. I didn't put him up to posting that reply, but I know he means well. I made the same mistake on Gearsluts a while back, so we have a lot to learn in the get the word out department. Sorry if my friends post was off putting, but I assure you the Core Kit is a solid product for a good price. The demo will be out in a few days.

Tom Gwaltney
Vi-elements

I'm a big fan of BFD Eco.

I have about half a dozen kits/expansions for it. I doubt I will buy more. They pretty much do what I need.

They don't always fit. But with a bit of persuasion they can certainly sit in a mix easier than the EZDrummer stuff, that tends to sound good for the first 20 seconds, but is so processed it's not true. Also you are not allowed to use it to make hit records and sell millions. They want a cut. And you have to read the small print to find that out. Well, the software that came with my Studio One anyway. Very rude of them.

FXpansion? I would love to get BFD3. I will. When I get the cash and a bigger hard drive.

Loving the Groove Monkee real drum midi files for it too. They are so out of whack, that I will hit you over the head with my drum stick if you say I didn't play it. Jeebus. They are so out of time you have to quantize the buggery out of them. But 'ah', when you do, you have a totally new track, all yer own. And no one will ever know. If you don't tell 'em. They aren't all like that, but a few of them are.

The BFD Eco stuff is about as reasonably priced as you will get. And it comes with some nice midi grooves to get you going. In fact, that is what got me into them in the first place. I can't play like a real drummer and use all the velocity/articulation stuff to its full advantage. I'm a pretty shit hot drum programmer, however. Not many people better than me, but, no way can I even begin to play like a real drummer and do grooves like that. It isn't just the sounds, it is the articulations is what I am trying to say.

I'm rather fond of my BFD Eco. I've made up a couple of hundred virtual kits for it. I don't even mind sharing if you wanna pm me. But the chances of you having the same half dozen expansions as me is slim.

I'm happy with this. For anything else. Use a real drummer. Real drummers can't be beat. Even a bad kit, recorded well, will sound good. And it doesn't even need to be in time. The more out of kilter the better.

Here is a link to some free midi grooves from Groove Monkee:
http://www.groovemonkee.com/en/free-midi

I bought their producer pack which is a nice little collection of thousands of drum beats for most occasions. And they update it and give that to you for free. I'm gonna buy some more stuff off them later just to say thanks, even though I don't really need it.

Sorry, bit off thread. But I thought it was related. What is the use of having amazingly recorded acoustic kits if you can't play/program/trigger them yourself? You have to use Midi Grooves to help you along. Maybe someone reading this thread will find the info useful.

But yeah. FXpansion BFD Eco for me!

vielements wrote:Wow! Tough crowd. Yes Musicmagery is indeed my friend. He has helped me work on the Core Kit and is excited now it's complete. I didn't put him up to posting that reply, but I know he means well. I made the same mistake on Gearsluts a while back, so we have a lot to learn in the get the word out department. Sorry if my friends post was off putting, but I assure you the Core Kit is a solid product for a good price. The demo will be out in a few days.

Tom Gwaltney
Vi-elements
My tips to you and your friend would be:

Don't talk in the third person as if you're nothing to do with the product.

Don't slag off other developers to try and make your product sound better. No offence but I doubt you are in BFD3 league.

Please post an example of what you think is as real as BFD3 can sound on a rock thing. No music just drums. I I can't find anything on the BFD demos that don't sound EQd or processed. The Tom Resonance example sounds the most real to me but with a gated reverb thing going on. I also think the Technical Metal 130bpm one is ok. Please post something out of the box, with no post plugins or processing and I will do the same.
Thanks

Yep, you really do have a lot to learn about promoting your wares. Not going so well so far. It's not up to me to prove anything to you. Your approach is all wrong.

vielements wrote:Please post an example of what you think is as real as BFD3 can sound on a rock thing. No music just drums. I I can't find anything on the BFD demos that don't sound EQd or processed. The Tom Resonance example sounds the most real to me but with a gated reverb thing going on. I also think the Technical Metal 130bpm one is ok. Please post something out of the box, with no post plugins or processing and I will do the same.
Thanks
as I indicated, this type of competitiveness is going to come across as childish, not just to me. 'Please post something'? You're only going to confirm your bias, evidently. I think the more you post the less people are going to care. I think you'd want to create good vibes for your product here, rather than shit in the sandbox.

Return to “Instruments”