omnisphere! criky damn this synth is just no words awesome.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Omnisphere 1

As long as he actually bought and loves the synth, I think it's his business and his right to post his gushing review.

If he made this up and is trolling then he deserves to get a little spanking.
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

Looking again at the title I'm starting to feel a little had...
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

LimboLoves wrote:Komplete is so damn overrated. It's like a bunch of zombie's came back and were programmed to say "Massive is all you need" and "OMG Komplete, forget everything else lolcopter."

Omnisphere will do what Komplete won't do, and that's give you QUALITY analog emulations. Yeah, Monark does the moog, but Moog isn't the only synth made before software.

/end rant against NI groupies who think the world revolves around Massive
So Omnisphere has a drum sampler like Battery into which you load your own samples?

Omnisphere has a scriptable sampler?

Omnisphere has a full Guitar FX processor?

I have never used Massive in a track mate, I've played with it, it's nice, but that isn't why "I" think that Komplete is still about the best value going.

You see, you are highlighting exactly what I'm talking about. Omnisphere will not do what Reaktor does for me. If you don't program, then you can't possibly appreciate the value that Reaktor provides for those that do. When you add the other synths that come with Komplete, it really isn't a competition, unless, you need the features that Omnisphere provides, in which case, the buyer has to determine what the value of those features are.

That's the problem with these threads, it's not so much Omnisphere bashing as much as it's Omnisphere fanboys bashing other products that they don't appear to understand.

I get Omnisphere, I'm not impressed, if you are, more power to you. I'm glad the OP is happy, I do think that it's a good choice for him. The kind of music that he's interested in will be well supported by Eric Persing's aesthetic.

A.M. Gold wrote:So I understand a little better what the overall context is here. Who overrates Omnisphere?

Bosendorfer pianos are unbelievably expensive but does anyone feel that they are "overrated" compared to, say, a good Yamaha? If so, then by whom?

I just think of them as very good, very expensive pianos. And I think of the best Yamahas as very good, much more affordable pianos.
Over time, I realize the pianos I love are the ones I grew up with regardless of historical reputation.
Omniheads have the unfortunate tell where the synth is raved about but rarely discussed for its inner workings.
A chord was played, an orgasm followed.
Sounds like a commercial to me.

BBFG# wrote:For the same price, you could of had Komplete. :dog:
For just twice as much, he could've had Komplete AND Omnisphere! :D

Oh, wait, this isn't gearslutz, is it? :oops:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

ghettosynth wrote: That's the problem with these threads, it's not so much Omnisphere bashing as much as it's Omnisphere fanboys bashing other products that they don't appear to understand.

I don't fall into either bashing category. Native Instruments is my favorite virtual instrument company, hands down.

I bought Omnisphere for about $375 and I'm glad I didn't pay more for it. For that price I wish it was bundled with Trilian, then it would be verging on a good deal.

I'm not in love with the DSP synth sound in it, that's probably the one thing I would mark as a disappointment, but I have a lot of gripes about a lot of synths. I don't really like the sound of Zebra either, but I think it's an amazing product in its own right.

My favorite thing about Omnisphere is it is actually fun for me to program, even in great detail, and I don't generally like synth programming.
Last edited by A.M. Gold on Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

BBFG# wrote: Omniheads have the unfortunate tell where the synth is raved about but rarely discussed for its inner workings.
A chord was played, an orgasm followed.
Sounds like a commercial to me.
Either that or he is jerking both our chains and we both fell for it.

A.M. Gold wrote: My favorite thing about Omnisphere is it is actually fun for me to program, even in great detail, and I don't generally like synth programming.
+1. I love the Komplete synths, but Omnisphere is one of my main go-tos for sound design in the soft synth world, which probably seems ironic since most people still seem to think of it as a glorified ROMpler.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

A.M. Gold wrote:So I understand a little better what the overall context is here. Who overrates Omnisphere?
I will be glad to answer that, but only if you insist on wanting to hear my answer. Full disclosure, I absolutely think that Omnisphere wins the overrated department, hands down, and I'll be glad to describe exactly what I mean by that, but I can almost guarantee you that it will lead to pages and pages of nonsense, will have zero impact on anything whatsoever, and will be a net loss for KVR. Do you really want to have THAT discussion, again?

The OP is happy with his purchase, I'm happy for him, I think that we should just encourage him to make some music with his new toy, yes?

*cough* Um, fellas? Methinks OP was probably razzing this thread: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=407934
Music can no longer soothe the worried thoughts of monarchs; it can only tell you when it's time to buy margarine or copulate. -xoxos
Discontinue use if rash or irritation develops.

A.M. Gold wrote:
ghettosynth wrote: That's the problem with these threads, it's not so much Omnisphere bashing as much as it's Omnisphere fanboys bashing other products that they don't appear to understand.

I don't fall into either bashing category. Native Instruments is my favorite virtual instrument company, hands down.
Yes, for 100% clarity, I wasn't accusing you of that at all.
I'm not in love with the DSP synth sound in it, that's probably the one thing I would mark as a disappointment, but I have a lot of gripes about a lot of synths. I don't really like the sound of Zebra either, but I think it's an amazing product in its own right.
Spot on. I'm also not a Zebra fan, but I love ACE and Diva.
My favorite thing about Omnisphere is it is actually fun for me to program, even in great detail, and I don't generally like synth programming.
And that is one of Omnisphere's strong features.

A.M. Gold wrote:

I don't fall into either bashing category...
I bought Omnisphere for about $375 and I'm glad I didn't pay more for it. For that price I wish it was bundled with Trilian, then it would be verging on a good deal.
Seriously, if they had the three products bundled for less than five, it would be a decent deal.

Funny thing is, I'm coming into some extra cash in the next week and was thinking of buying something I don't even need but am curious about. Omni/Trilian was on the list. These threads have a way of getting me to take them off that list.
I have about six hours of demoing Omni in three stores and NAMM. All while trying to find a single copy of Trilian to take through a test drive. I find it an easy synth to program with probably some hidden depths I haven't reach yet. Really chokes the CPUs that GC seems to believe have enough power and insist on using for it. It's okay but is still overpriced for what it is. Hearing the customer base pining for the next version and seeing the company is nowhere close to responding to that seems to be all things to watch at the price they sell it for too.
I hate a lot of the sounds that came with Kontakt, but everytime I find a third party set that I like I think "This is what I expected in the first place." I also find a lot of the samples in Omni evoke as much disgust as certain Kontakt samples do in me. But with Omni, what you bought is what you get and that's all you get. Omni has no way to compete with Kontakt's third partydom at this point.

Omni does program like a rompler.
It reminds me of my old ProteusFX or DPMV3 in that regard.

I seriously don't know who raves about Omnisphere (I certainly don't rave about it, but I like it). Maybe ghettosynth will elaborate on that, but let's look at part of what the essence of this argument is about.

It has nothing specifically to do with Spectrasonics. It has to do with the fact that an incredibly wide field of pricing has opened up for ALL software based music making tools, and that includes instruments, effects, and hosts.

Flux still charges an arm and a leg for their plug-ins whereas some companies like SK Note price everything at $30 and then we have the excellent free stuff.

Honestly, I don't want to get into an endless cycle of bashing the companies that still price their products towards the high end. The market is slowly transitioning toward affordability. It's just going to have to be everyone's personal choice and their own practical financial situation that determines the ceiling on what they are willing to spend, just as it is with grand pianos, cars, houses, suits, shoes, girlfriends, etc.

BBFG# wrote:Omni does program like a rompler.
It reminds me of my old ProteusFX or DPMV3 in that regard.
Your Proteus had Groove Lock, a graphical mod matrix, a granular engine, an algorithmically controlled parameter morphing engine with a physics based X/Y controller, dozens of filter types with series/parallel routing and bone simple modulation, morphing modulation capabilities, a ten layer detuning engine that allows different waveforms per layer...?

Do you actually own Ominisphere or are you just pissing up a rope?

Return to “Instruments”