Best value synth you've bought?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Free is free, let's talk paid. What is/are the best values you've paid for? More than one is possible, but please list them from best value to slightly less value. And explain your choices :) Let's also keep this to instruments as there are forums for effects, DAWS, etc.

Does a Kontakt setup count? (If so, that'd be my favourite because there's some fantastic and very good value Kontakt-based synth programs around from Synth Magic, Tronsonic and Hollow Sun).

Failing that, I'd go with DIVA.
Excellent quality, good variety of sounds, and many great and varied third party soundbanks too.

Cheers.

ShortCircuit, Charlatan and Obxd. :)

On a more serious note; Korg Legacy Collection. Absolutely atrociously great value for money. Even the FX are highly usable, especially MS-20 as VST effect. For me that was an absolute no-brainer to buy. Add these aforementioned three and a few more free ones and I'm all set with VSTis. ;)
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Spectrasonics Omnisphere. Never fails to inspire me with any of the sounds and patches. For me the value is in how much I use it and the time I spend with it. I've gotten the most out of the money I spent on this synth.

Korg Legacy M1 and Wavestation. works JUST like the hardware versions and at $50 each these are just amazing sounding working synths. Plus you get ALL the Korg Factory sound banks, amazing value.

Camel Audio Alchemy. Not sexy but just a work horse. easy to program.

Rob Papen Blue II. I recently picked this up on a discount sale lin the last month. Haven't played with it enough yet but the sounds are amazing and I'm not afraid to turn a knob and play like I am with some of the other synths I have.

I have a TON of VST synths that I bought on a sale or at a discount but I just don't use them or found something that inspired me more and never went back and played with them.

uhe DIVA, there is something about the sound, the layout that makes you come back. It's a developer you want to support, and above all DIVA loves you back. (Voted for it in the new Music Radar Top Synths)

Refx Nexus2, sometimes you just can't work something out and Nexus is there as a good companion to help you get started.

Tal Un-o-lx, it just works, great sound great package for the money, great developer.

IK Philharmonik, it's the VST I can trust to load up quick and have strings fill up the track.

Addictive Keys, useful for songwriting and adding realistic piano sounds at an instance.

Image-Line Harmor, mega powerful synth but I have yet to truly click with it

All these instruments I could never sell, they have been vital to the creation process, they are fun to work with, and the price tag is never in the back of my mind asking me if I made the right choice.

Harmless for 9$ and V-Station (new) for 18$.
yzcoruhT

Best theoretical/potential value or best actual value by really having used the synth a lot? ;-)

Best theoretical value: Harmless (which I haven't used very much so far) during a no-brainer deal.

Best actual value: Synthmaster v2. I got Synthmaster v1 new for about 29 euro and the upgrade to v2 was free. Meanwhile it has grown to the beast it is nowadays.
The more I hang around at KVR the less music I make.

FabFilter ONE. After Tax it cost me: 5.95 EUR
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Probably Zebra 2 and Blue/2 but for different reasons. Zebra2 has had more free updates adding useful features than any other instrument I own. It makes the original price paid a bargain as far as I'm concerned. And Blue because it's my most used instrument. I find it useful in almost every production I do. I didn't expect that when I bought it but sure has turned out that way. It has paid for itself many times over.

Value to me implies that the product is not just cheap but useful. That it gets used. I should have added that comment above.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

This is simple: Waldorf Blofeld desktop

What i paid for it i got back multiple times with my commercial soundbank for it. Hopefully could do another one.

For Xils Lab Synthix there was a great discount wjhen it was released (group buy + additional discount for existing customers) and i really love that synth.

For Saurus i had paid the full price but in terms of doing my own sounds it was the most productive one so far. Not to forget i already earned some money with sounds for it...

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

It must be Retrologue for me (bought at full price, but still the best synth I ever bought!).

Massive comes second (half price from NI)

Razor and Monark come third (half price)

Fourth is Padshop Pro (with a discount = less than $50!)

Fifth are Korg legacy synths (some at full price, and some with a discount).

Hands down... Zebra

I purchased when Zebra 2 when it first came out. Since then Zebra has received easily 2-3 paid upgrades worth of improvements and I have not had to pay a cent more. 8 years of solid reliable use plus ongoing development and not any additional cost!!

The licensing agreement is generous as you can install on multiple computers as long as it is only you using it. It is serial number and the developer support is superb. Buying Zebra you can be sure that you do not get dead ended. Some developers don't really do much to a synth once it is released and put new tech into new instruments. With Zebra you know as there is new tech by u-he, it will find its way into Zebra too.

Probably Korg Wavestation for me too. Got it during sale and that makes it even better value. I think you will never be able to exhaust it's programming possibilities. If you learn to program it this synth will keep on giving.
No signature here!

It's gotta be NI Komplete - best value definitely. Just gives you so much to play with.
Last edited by EvilDragon on Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”