What plugin format are you using the most on your Mac?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AU in Logic running on Mavericks
macbook pro 2.88 GHz Intel Core Duo, 10 gigs ram, 750GB HD, Logic Studio 9
my blog and some music:
http://rabbitearsmotel.wordpress.com/

I don't always use my Mac, but when I do, I prefer AU/Logic.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

VST 2.x :shrug:
Last edited by umd on Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free MIDI plugins and other stuff:
https://jstuff.wordpress.com
"MIDI 2.0 is an extension of MIDI 1.0. It does not replace MIDI 1.0(...)"

AU if Logic, otherwise VST.

Don't ask me why because I can't remember....I did some research on the topic and some reason VST ended up being the better option.

AU ...almost exclusively

VST (Cubase & Reaper)

Cintronic wrote:I also have the maybe misguided notion that as AU is apple's own format it will run better that Steinbergs VST.
Indeed misguided. A lot of developers write their plugin as a VST, then use a wrapper to turn it into a AU. This means the VST will have better performance than the AU, because of the wrapper overhead (which, thankfully, is often negligible).

Cintronic wrote:I use AUs in Live, don't install VST as I prefer to keep things less cluttered. Its also easier to find the VSTs that are not available in AU by not doubling up.
In Logic I use only AU's ! It's annoying to have all those (useless) VST, VST3, RTAS, AAX etc…that clutter up the computer. Rarely i use VST2 in some Audio Editors.

Vst in Cubase

VST all the way. Midi out, preset banks work better in most hosts, automap works much better (wouldn' t touch AU with it as it will never find the plug-in if you remove automap), and cross-platform compatibility. Compared to not having one good reason for AU (unless forced by Logic), not a hard decision.

99% of the time it's Logic 10 + Audio Units.

Sometimes I'll use VSTs in Live or Bitwig.
... space is the place ...

ZenPunkHippy wrote:99% of the time it's Logic 10 + Audio Units.

Sometimes I'll use VSTs in Live or Bitwig.
Same here, except it's Cubase instead of Live and that other thing.

32-bit AU, in Logic 9.x, on Mac OS X 10.6.

Not only do I find Cubase extremely clunky and dislike the dongle, it's crash prone on Mac OS (I never moved past 4.5 on either platform).

I will change to all 64-bit AU in Logic X on 10.9 if I end up moving on to a new Mac Pro, but that's still a ways off...
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Return to “Instruments”