Arturia Spark 2 Software is out

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mac Hine wrote:Liked the new version but I have some problems with installations. To ensure that my old projects would work, I wanted to install spark2 to its own directory. So, I used arturia/spark2/ everywhere where installation required. After installation, everything was fine. There was Spark and spark2 and both worked as expected.

After computer restart, I were in trouble. There is spark and spark. First one opens spark2 and other one hangs. None of the old projects does not work. I uninstalled the spark2 but now spark1 says that it cannot find it libraries...

So, can spark1 and 2 be used in same machine?

Next I will try to uninstall everything and re-install only spark2 and hope that it would work in old projects.

Windows7 x64 and FLstudio 11.

Update: Installed only spark2 and it works also in older projects so thats enough for me. :)

glad u got it sorted. spark2 IS an update to spark, not a separate plugin... :tu:

breakmixer wrote:
DenisArturia wrote:That being said the integration is perfect with SparkLE...
are you sure about that, just saying as the original spark hardware cannot record midi to the daw using the pads unless you swap about the midi in/outs to the plugin, wasn't very impressed with that, you should be able to control it with either a keyboard, a drumpad and the spark hardware without making any midi/in out changes,

has the spark 2 software fixed this with original spark controller?

does sparkle have this issue?

ps when you did swap it to record midi before to the daw you then had to swap the midi in/outs back for the midi to play back the software, so has all this been fixed(made better)?
It doesn't matter if you use the original Spark or SparkLE. You don't need Spark's Midi ports to record its Midi - just select the Spark plugin as midi input to a track. Works in Cubase, but I imagine that it might be a problem in e.g. FL Studio.
But yeah, I also think that Arturia should make a multi-client (PC) midi driver for their hardware! It's less of a problem for Spark, but Beatstep really needs it.

T-CM11 wrote:
breakmixer wrote:
DenisArturia wrote:That being said the integration is perfect with SparkLE...
are you sure about that, just saying as the original spark hardware cannot record midi to the daw using the pads unless you swap about the midi in/outs to the plugin, wasn't very impressed with that, you should be able to control it with either a keyboard, a drumpad and the spark hardware without making any midi/in out changes,

has the spark 2 software fixed this with original spark controller?

does sparkle have this issue?

ps when you did swap it to record midi before to the daw you then had to swap the midi in/outs back for the midi to play back the software, so has all this been fixed(made better)?
It doesn't matter if you use the original Spark or SparkLE. You don't need Spark's Midi ports to record its Midi - just select the Spark plugin as midi input to a track. Works in Cubase, but I imagine that it might be a problem in e.g. FL Studio.
But yeah, I also think that Arturia should make a multi-client (PC) midi driver for their hardware! It's less of a problem for Spark, but Beatstep really needs it.
Ok, thanks - It is just that I thought before that it is just a midi controller, why the need to swap midi ports for sending midi to the plugin from the hardware then swapping back the midi ports to replay the midi from the Daw(otherwise it would be silence), done my nut in, had to make a note of what to do, i.e. when using my MPD32 by Akai I have to do no such stuff with other VST's like Kontakt/Geist, been busy anyway with work but will install the version 2 in the morning and check this new version and workflow,

basically I want to be able to launch the plugin and record midi using the pads or sequencer of Spark without any hassles(as if it is real external hardware), I've been using the midi keyboard and only using spark hardware to tune and change the drum parameters so far with 1.7. so not using it as intended by Arturia(or how I originally intended to use it).

Maybe I'm missing something here that I do not understand :oops:

Cheers...

breakmixer wrote: Ok, thanks - It is just that I thought before that it is just a midi controller, why the need to swap midi ports for sending midi to the plugin from the hardware then swapping back the midi ports to replay the midi from the Daw(otherwise it would be silence), done my nut in, had to make a note of what to do, i.e. when using my MPD32 by Akai I have to do no such stuff with other VST's like Kontakt/Geist, been busy anyway with work but will install the version 2 in the morning and check this new version and workflow,

basically I want to be able to launch the plugin and record midi using the pads or sequencer of Spark without any hassles(as if it is real external hardware), I've been using the midi keyboard and only using spark hardware to tune and change the drum parameters so far with 1.7. so not using it as intended by Arturia(or how I originally intended to use it).

Maybe I'm missing something here that I do not understand :oops:

Cheers...
I don't know how the situation is on Mac, but I assume you use Window?
The Spark hardware is class compliant - meaning that when you plug it in, Windows detects it and installs a driver. This is however never multiclient (=more than 1 application can access the driver). So when you load up the plugin, it locks the driver and no other application can use it (not even the host/DAW). And vice versa.
To get around it, and record midi while using the plugin:
What DAW do you use? I'm going to explain how to do it in Cubase...
- Load the plugin
- Assign it to the midi output of a track (not strictly needed, but you might want to record automation here, or use another midi controller)
- In the Spark options screen, enable: pads send midi and/or sequencer sends midi (something like that)
- Now make a 2nd midi track, assign the spark plugin to the Midi input, leave output blank, and click monitor on.
- The pad playing and/or sequencer notes will now be recorded on that track.

breakmixer wrote:so not using it as intended by Arturia(or how I originally intended to use it).
I never record any (Spark) notes in Cubase, I just play into Spark's sequencer, make different patterns. But I haven't used Spark's song mode yet - I just record my pattern changes as host automation.

I'm cubase 7, thanks tcmm11 - will try this method tommorow...

jacqueslacouth wrote:Absolutely BRILLIANT free upgrade of an already fantastic product. The added features have reduced the immediacy of the hardware integration for example with the TR style step sequencer, but this is a fantastic addition and programming via mouse is so much quicker than on the original devices. I have to admit, SparkLE is the best and most honest example of ITB tech with an external controller replacing ALL of my HW drum machines (and in honesty, my other software)….simply brilliant!!!

And to qualify this, I have the V collection 3 and i literally hate the majority of it, so no Arturia fan boy here.
That's quite the backhanded compliment! ;)

So if I buy a SparkLE from a local store I can upgrade to the version 2 for no extra cost?

No, it costs 8000 $ if you do that!
DenisArturia wrote: the upgrade is free for the Spark and SparkLE owners. All they have to do is to install the latest update (download > updates) from the Arturia website.

T-CM11 wrote:No, it costs 8000 $ if you do that!
Well that sounds a little excessive. :wink:
Might wait to see what the upgrade path from VCollection 3 is like.
Have a Beatstep - marvellous thing - build quality is good so i'm re-evaluating my tolerance for software based controllers.

Which controller+software caused your intolerance? :)

Maschine... :/

I never used machine, but to me it (the plugin) looks to much like a DAW within a DAW (the host you use)...

arturias online store is down so don't even waste your money at this current time.
Last edited by AstralExistence on Mon May 05, 2014 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

site is up here (or, back up...)...

Return to “Instruments”