DUNE 2 is out now!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DUNE 3

Will there be a space for all these new 3rd party Dune 2 skins on synapse website?
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

It is not easy to make punchy sounds on Dune 2 because of the very non-linear envelopes. Especially when osc reset is turned off, sounds tend to start either with an unpleasant click (which unlike with other synths is not even consistent, nor does it sound like a click, more like a drop, particularly when using pulse wave) or in a fuzzy way, there doesn't seem to be an attack time where neither applies.

fluffy_little_something wrote:It is not easy to make punchy sounds on Dune 2 because of the very non-linear envelopes. Especially when osc reset is turned off, sounds tend to start either with an unpleasant click (which unlike with other synths is not even consistent, nor does it sound like a click, more like a drop, particularly when using pulse wave) or in a fuzzy way, there doesn't seem to be an attack time where neither applies.
Try to make a short spike in a MSEG and assign it to main voulme/filter cutoff via matrix.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Oops, deleted, no idea where that came from :hihi:
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hi Fluffy,
at audiorates, you can do what you want with the MSEGs, it's sample base i think

So I will try that MSEG business tomorrow since you all recommend it 8)

It's strange, though. I have other synths with exponential envelopes and never had such problems with them, although pulse seems to be more vulnerable to those unpleasant blip sounds even on my other synths.

Indeed, Dune2 may be not the best synth for making punchy stuff, there is something a little fluffy (sorry) about its sound. But if you need pronounced fast attack, MSEG is a way to go.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Nm
Last edited by Kriminal on Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fluffy_little_something wrote:It is not easy to make punchy sounds on Dune 2 because of the very non-linear envelopes.
Hm, unless i'm totally confused, actually it should be the other way around. Linear envelopes are not very punchy, while exponential envelopes are pretty punchy. Didn't find Dune 2's standard filter envelope to be exactly punchy too though. I never tried the MSEG though.

fluffy_little_something wrote:It is not easy to make punchy sounds on Dune 2 because of the very non-linear envelopes. Especially when osc reset is turned off, sounds tend to start either with an unpleasant click (which unlike with other synths is not even consistent, nor does it sound like a click, more like a drop, particularly when using pulse wave) or in a fuzzy way, there doesn't seem to be an attack time where neither applies.
Same thoughts. Envelopes attack start at 45%, below that point it's clicking :/ May be weird time scale, not sure. If envelopes displayed time in miliseconds, this would make it clear at least.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Kriminal wrote:I deleted Kriminal's quote on his request...

:shrug:

But at least you seem to agree there is something odd about the envelopes. Dune 2 sounds very good on pads and such "soft" sounds, but from such an expensive synth I expect bread and butter capabilities so that I can use it for everything and get best results. Then again, maybe Dune 2 is simply not meant for that, who knows :)
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

when i try to make a punchy kick in Dune2, at audiorate with a MSEG, i don' have any problem
a simple sine with a MSEG/pitch and MSEG/amp.....

chk071 wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:It is not easy to make punchy sounds on Dune 2 because of the very non-linear envelopes.
Hm, unless i'm totally confused, actually it should be the other way around. Linear envelopes are not very punchy, while exponential envelopes are pretty punchy. Didn't find Dune 2's standard filter envelope to be exactly punchy too though. I never tried the MSEG though.
Exactly, I like exponential, that's fine with me. But it should not go hand in hand with unpleasant noises. I have heard other synths with similar issues, but then again, they were cheap or even free 8)

But I will try those MSEG's tomorrow, maybe they will do the trick :)

For some pads and soft sound, classic env, for punch MSEG/filter and amp

Finally got a tune completed with Dune 2.
Kudos to Richard on the truly brilliant synth!

Without a doubt, one of 2014 absolute BEST synths.

Forgive the ruff mix.
Dune 2 plus one Cello:

https://soundcloud.com/vintage-synth-pa ... 2-from-vsp

Return to “Instruments”