DUNE 2 is out now!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DUNE 3

Hydra has a classic architecture in my view, which makes it more appealing to me.
Some people just don't need that excessive unison/layer thingy and appreciate the intuitive operation of a one-page synth like Hydra.

Well D1 was pretty much that, not like D2.

I'd say its extremely unlikey Hydra will be updated, given its similarity to D1, which itself has been superceeded.

If it was to be updated, it would prob become more complex, so you wouldnt like it anyway. Stick with the original.

But I think Dune 1 also already had that extensive unison feature, the name as such stands for it if I am not mistaken.

fluffy_little_something wrote:But I think Dune 1 also already had that extensive unison feature, the name as such stands for it if I am not mistaken.
In a very limited way.

Will Dune 1 still get updates?
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Halonmusic wrote:Will Dune 1 still get updates?
Dune 2 hasn't been updated for over one and a half year, why would Dune 1 suddenly be updated?
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

starflakeprj wrote:
Dune 2 hasn't been updated for over one and a half year, why would Dune 1 suddenly be updated?
How would i know? Its still for sale so i would assume it is still supported.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Halonmusic wrote:
starflakeprj wrote:
Well, I thought you already owned Dune 1, which was why you asked. Sorry about that.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

starflakeprj wrote:
Halonmusic wrote:
starflakeprj wrote:
Well, I thought you already owned Dune 1, which was why you asked. Sorry about that.
No need to apologize. I only have the CM version which i guess wont be updated and it doesnt have the fx section.

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Any chance of alternative tuning and scales for dune 3? loading of scala and tun files would be great.

I would like more synths would have alternative scales included and ready to use as in Madrona Lab´s synths.

Another thing I would like to see is a synth capable of tuning each key individually and save such tuning. It is that possible with any?

Thanks

What I said was, There is no reason to have more then 4 layers. No one has used more then 4 parts for any multi in the history of synthesis and it's completely unnecessary in today's DAW digital environment, when really all you NEED is one, and more then 4 winds up being a giant reverb wash, but it exists BECAUSE of the preset designers. Which is the same thing Synapse just said to you, but you didn't want to hear it from me.

My concern is that the update rate will be lowered, and worse, that it will just become another sample player with all the features added. I don't see any other way synapse can pull it off, and so much of these requests are completely unnecessary. You can already do all this stuff in today's DAW with DUNE2!

If Synapse does all this without lowering the quality of the sound I will be impressed and have no bitch though. Carry on.

Dasheesh wrote:What I said was, There is no reason to have more then 4 layers.
I actually agree with that. Never really got why a synth needs so many layers. The only real world use, as Richard hinted, would be, IMO, that sound designers want to create the ultimate, self-playing, one-man-band, one-man-orchestra uber patch. ;) Typically, you'd layer sounds with different instances of the synth anyway. At least that's the way i always saw others do it, and do it myself.

That said, the general architecture of Dune is very nice, and i already really liked the fact that you can use different unison voices as a mod target in Dune 1/CM/BE. And, IMO, that's the real strength of Dune, not the many layers.

Anyway, one way or the other, it won't be a downside. Rather a feature i wouldn't make much use of.

Not sure why is that a problem. Just use one layer... :D
Several layers for one patch can make sense (not always of course).
Dune 2 has a very good modulation matrix where you can choose which layers will be modulated.
F.e. you could use OSC 2 of layer 3 to modulate something from layer 4 etc.
You can´t do that in a DAW (especially not at audio rate). Dune 2 is more like a semi-modular for me than the common subtractive (plus some extras) synth.
Don´t need that...fine.
But i would like to have a few more options. Another synth i really love has 2 layers (no, not Omnisphere) and you can modulate layer 2 with the output of layer 1 f.e.
I still wonder why people can´t think of different workflows. Open your mind and eyes :wink:
Another easy way is to just don´t use a synth if it won´t fit your workflow and/or sound.
For single layers with fat vintage/analog sounds i prefer and use other tools anyway.
Everything is fine.

Cinebient wrote:Not sure why is that a problem. Just use one layer... :D
Dune 2 has a very good modulation matrix where you can choose which layers will be modulated.
You can´t do that in a DAW (especially not at audio rate). Dune 2 is more like a semi-modular for me than the common subtractive (plus some extras) synth.
Uh, well, I don't know why you can't load two instances of Dune2 and use the same modulator for both instances, but what ever.

I agree Dune2 is useful for those hyper digital, uber clean sounds that I don't get from many pieces of kit. That's why it's in my rack, exactly for those hyper digital uber clean sounds. That is what DUNE2 is for, but if you are ADDING useful features, why not fatter filter shapes and such? especially the filter affects section are thin and need updating. That is the biggest area of need IMO and would be a much better use of CPU.

You don't need dual filters either, you can add filter shapes like a dual peak resonate filter to get the same thing. would be a much better use of CPU. Preset designers would be screaming though... so what ever.

Dasheesh wrote:
Cinebient wrote:Not sure why is that a problem. Just use one layer... :D
Uh, well, I don't know why you can't load two instances of Dune2 and use the same modulator for both instances, but what ever.

I agree Dune2 is useful for those hyper digital, uber clean sounds that I don't get from many pieces of kit. That's why it's in my rack, exactly for those hyper digital uber clean sounds. That is what DUNE2 is for, but if you are ADDING useful features, why not fatter filter shapes and such? especially the filter affects section are thin and need updating. That is the biggest area of need IMO and would be a much better use of CPU.

You don't need dual filters either, you can add filter shapes like a dual peak resonate filter to get the same thing. would be a much better use of CPU. Preset designers would be screaming though... so what ever.
Like i said, think further. How could i use one instance to modulate another in any DAW at audio rate. Not possible beside in a modular environment.
If i start to modulate layer 2 with an OSC of layer 1, and modulate the OSC of layer 1 which modulates layer 2 with an OSC from layer 3 and so on.
But like i also said and agree, there are better tools for that massive vintage/analog/dirty sound with just 1-2 OSC´s and or layer. There are reasons for different synths we use.
All synths i own has it´s pro and contra.
I also tend to agree that i prefer layering huge sounds with different synths, extern FX and midi FX via my DAW of choice.
But nothing wrong with things in Dune 2 i can´t do with any other tool i own this fast and easy.

Return to “Instruments”