One-Synth-Challenge 64: Swierk by Saltline (Voting Done: Z.Prime Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
drzewo Swierk

drunken jesus wrote:... one quick question do you guys find it easier to write your songs while using the synth or to write the song first then start working on the synth? ...
Sometime I find a theme or chord progression on the piano. Than I have a clear vision how the track should be build up. But most of the tracks are inspired by sounds of the synth. Each sound or preset is changing my style of playing. So when I went through presets or I am creating my own sounds, I play dozens of little melodies and chords. And sometimes it sounds interessting. Those are the moments when I press "record".
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

Hi all,

Here is my track for Swierk:
https://soundcloud.com/photonic-1/photonic-singularity

20 instances of Swierk in Cubase 5 Essential

Filter: TDR VOS SlickEQ, MQ57
Dynamics: TDRFeedBackCompressor, GClip, FluxBitterSweet-II, ClassicCompressor
Delays: IxoxDelay, NastyDLA, MonoDelay
Reverb: EpicVerb, FreeverbToo
Satturation: Voxengo Boogex, Green Eugene
Analyzer: Span, TT Dynamic Range Meter, StereoChannel
Stereo: GStereo

Dynamik Range according TT Dynamic Range Meter: DR=12

This month was busy and I had not so much time as usual. But I wanted to do something with this interessting synth. And I allways wanted to try some trailer score music style. Not much more than one minute, but full of interessting changes, an increasing tension ... well, here is the result.

Nice. :tu:
But a little too short.

Chris-S wrote:
sizemore0409 wrote:Notch Filter
Isn't this against the rules?
Doesn't look like anyone answered this... but, as filters are glorified EQ and EQ is allowed, filters are also currently.

Ok, I see. Filters are one of the main shaping elements of a sound, so I was wondering.

Chris-S wrote:Ok, I see. Filters are one of the main shaping elements of a sound, so I was wondering.
Well, yes... But really eq is the most helpful shaping tool... And tracks would suck without the ability to eq stuff, so...

photonic wrote:Hi all,

Very nice, but I agree... too short.

thunderkyss wrote:
photonic wrote:Hi all,

Very nice, but I agree... too short.
Ok,Ok ! Next time, the track will get a normal length again.
I as wrote in my description: I made this self restriction of not much more than one minute to see, what can I do in such a short ime. I allways adored the music in film trailers. That was my inspriration.

But great that you like it anyway :D

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if gates are allowed?

Here's my submission:
https://soundcloud.com/paulmehlhaff/pul ... cond-stage

This one was a little different. I placed all of my Swierk instances as a live performance setup in Cantabile Solo and recorded it as a stereo track. I would have loved to use Cubase LE, but it only allows me one MIDI channel input, and I wanted to use more than one keyboard controller for the live recording. In the end I liked my performance, but my pre-mixing wasn't as great as I thought it was, so it created a post-production hell in the mastering stage! If I do it again, I might record a multi-channel sequence through Cantabile, although it is a little tricky, but it will allow me to mix tracks later.

INITIAL STAGE IN CANTABILE SOLO 2.0:
6 Instances of Swierk in Cantabile Solo 2.0
4 Instances of Kirnu MIDI aprpeggiator
2 Instances of Easy Q graphic equalizer
2 Instances of Classic Delay
1 Instance of JS Compressor
1 Instance of EpicVerb

STEREO TRACK MASTERING STAGE in CUBASE LE5
1 Instance of Cubase Native EQ
1 Instance of ReaXComp multi-band compressor
1 Instance of Easy Q graphic equalizer
1 Instance of DX Reverb
1 Instance of Limiter 6 Compression/Peak Limiter
1 Instance of Voxengo Span metering plugin

BK1 wrote:Out of curiosity, does anyone know if gates are allowed?
I'm fairly positive they are, as they don't alter the character of the synth's sound.

What I find myself wondering about is glitchers. I know some things that glitchers do wouldn't be allowed (reversing, for instance) .. but what about tape stop, or of course gating, etc ... I assume glitchers are not allowed tho.

artao wrote:
BK1 wrote:Out of curiosity, does anyone know if gates are allowed?
I'm fairly positive they are, as they don't alter the character of the synth's sound.

What I find myself wondering about is glitchers. I know some things that glitchers do wouldn't be allowed (reversing, for instance) .. but what about tape stop, or of course gating, etc ... I assume glitchers are not allowed tho.
Since volume automation is allowed, I think a gate should be fine.
Glitch effects are not allowed, though - you're right. I'm pretty sure the rules explicitly mentioned them at some point... Pitching/sampling effects are not allowed, which rules out things like tape stop and reverse; modulation effects are not allowed, so most of the glitch effects (at least dblue glitch) are disallowed by those couple.
I, personally, would love for allowing everything! :pray:

Pitching/sampling effects are not allowed, which rules out things like tape stop and reverse; modulation effects are not allowed, so most of the glitch effects (at least dblue glitch) are disallowed by those couple.
As a noob, I find it difficult to understand why certain kinds of effects are legit and others are not. For example, the pitch-wheel automation of a keyboard or DAW is allowed, but a pitch-shifter plug-in is not. This seems like a rather fine distinction.
I, personally, would love for allowing everything!
I agree. It would make the rules much easier to understand for noobs like me!

Would "stutter" effects be allowed, then, as long as they don't alter the pitch?
Last edited by BK1 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I did some tweaking, re-uploaded and re-posted. I had to center my main bassline; plus I punched up the presence of 2 of my instruments: kickdrum (preset 72; added TAP Sigmoid Booster) and bell dots (preset 101; added TAP Sigmoid Booster and Triplet Delay). I also added a little extra EQ, using Terry West's MOJO EQ product.

I hope you'll all give it a new listen, and I'm eager to see what you think.

https://soundcloud.com/a-sizemore/sizem ... the-swierk

sizemore0409 wrote: [..]
The presets I used are #4, 7, and 8 (all bass), 21, 22, and 24 (all Leads), 44, 45 and 48 (pads), 55, 64, and 66 (FX), 67 (snare), 71 (Hats), 72 (Kick), 82 (Hangdrum), 101 (Bell Dots), 102 (Arp Glass Lead). Many thanks to Kraftraum for a number of these presets.
[..]
You are welcome and i am happy if someone use my patch work :)
https://soundcloud.com/kraftraum
-8<-------------------
Take it or break it!

Return to “Instruments”