One-Synth-Challenge 64: Swierk by Saltline (Voting Done: Z.Prime Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
drzewo Swierk

fluffy_little_something wrote:I don't like the winning track ... but ... it shows off the potential of Swierk (although I wonder how much of it is due to the effects used).
I'm sorry you don't like the prizes, the synth that was chosen, the voting system, or the winning track. Perhaps you could suggest some improvements? Would love to see an entry from you in an OSC one day!

Here's a link to the 65th OSC using TAL Bassline, there are some nice new prizes in that contest!

In terms of the effects used, on my entry, anyway, you can see the list in this thread and in the track description on SoundCloud (like most people's OSC entries). You'll find there was a lot of EQ used (6 different EQ plugins!). Those certainly played into the sounds to some degree; the rest of it is pretty much just from Swierk, though, with a number of stacked instances. Would like to hear what you consider a great track. :)

Cheers!

First of all congratulations to the top 7 winners in the top 5. And secondly congrats to everyone else, I have been out for a few months due to work commitments etc. I am kind of astounded how there was so many great track there are this month, so many point ties, think it shows how everyone is progressing in leap a bounds.
z.prime wrote:
photonic wrote:Z. Prime ... entered the hall of fame
Holy moly! :) :shock: :singer: :-o

Really, though, you guys who participate in this awesome contest are all winners. I started doing this a couple years ago now because I read a little blurb someone wrote to CM about why they like doing the OSC. For me, at least, it is as true today as it was when I started:
  • it forces me to finish a track - before, I had a handful of finished tracks and hundreds of projects with a few bars of ideas)
  • it forces me to get better and gives me a channel to do so - I thought I was 'pretty good'... and then I heard a track by Irion that I just loved and realized I wasn't; I tried to figure out how did he do some different things and got feedback how to improve, what to search for, etc.. I didn't even know what sidechain compression was (now, I really, really abuse it! :-P)
  • the people who participate are awesome (yes, that's YOU reading this) - really, cut from a different thread, everyone in the community is willing to help with advice and such
  • winning prizes is a nice bonus
Definitely spot on it does force you to complete a track for the comp. After all tracks are never ever really finished , you just need to learn when to let go lol (Strangely it one of the things I am good at in my work life due to immovable deadlines, god knows why it took OSC for me to do it with my music :dog: ). For those who try and get a track for the comp and fail just try and time box your work and make sure you submit it, with every comp you get better at doing it, improving your time, workflow, sound design etc etc (hope mine has lol) so just post it :tu:
Don't get me wrong sometimes you can get a little down when finishing low, but remember the fact the some people really like your is why you are submitting it, you can't please everyone all the time.

Gotta say I just love all the music variation and originality which makes the comp so addictive. I'd hate it if we was all churning out the same stuff, so keep it original and the interesting tracks flowing. Gotta say entering this comp. was one the best things I decisions I did music wise (The other was recent purchase :phones: lol).
thunderkyss wrote:
animehaus wrote:First of all, congratulations to all contestants - lots of really, really great tracks this month.

Agreed. Lots of good stuff on this one.

I was especially impressed by Chilled Panda's train "motif" I thought that was excellent the way he came up with that sound & pretty much built the track around it.
Thank you, made my day mate :hug:, thanks for taking the time to listen, just got hold of a train tunnel IR, so the train is far from over, just in the station waiting for me to see if I can get some TAL-bassline together for this month.
z.prime wrote: Chilled Panda - Tracking The Salt Line
Great idea with the train sounds and well executed track, definitely the best theme track of this OSC. I really wish I could compose something based on a theme... really my crap is just much more random...
Thanks mate :hug:, ah lol well the reason I try and theme things each time because it gives me focus, also gives me a further restriction, learnt a long time ago that most creativity and ingenuity is spawned from restrictions/limitations, (you only have to look at great music artist in the past and what they had to do to produce great tracks by over coming limitation, through ingenious workarounds/ideas, imo music is probably made harder these days by too much choice), too much choice just detracts you and not often in a good way as it can waste you time.
Although theming doesn't always work out that way, take the doctor who theme, only became that when I discovered my dying tardis sound under a week before the deadline lol.

Thanks to everyone who took time to listen, comment and vote.

z.prime wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:I don't like the winning track ... but ... it shows off the potential of Swierk (although I wonder how much of it is due to the effects used).
I'm sorry you don't like the prizes, the synth that was chosen, the voting system, or the winning track. Perhaps you could suggest some improvements? Would love to see an entry from you in an OSC one day!

Here's a link to the 65th OSC using TAL Bassline, there are some nice new prizes in that contest!

In terms of the effects used, on my entry, anyway, you can see the list in this thread and in the track description on SoundCloud (like most people's OSC entries). You'll find there was a lot of EQ used (6 different EQ plugins!). Those certainly played into the sounds to some degree; the rest of it is pretty much just from Swierk, though, with a number of stacked instances. Would like to hear what you consider a great track. :)

Cheers!

Never mind, it is just my feeling. Sometimes I feel on KVR like a waltz lover who accidentally ended up on a break dance board :) I hardly like anything being posted on KVR. It all sounds overproduced to me, no space for instruments to breathe, etc.

fluffy_little_something wrote: Never mind, it is just my feeling. Sometimes I feel on KVR like a waltz lover who accidentally ended up on a break dance board :) I hardly like anything being posted on KVR. It all sounds overproduced to me, no space for instruments to breathe, etc.
I am quite intrigued now to hear an OSC entry from you. I would say the vast majority of OSC entries are not overproduced, but as for space / breathe, I guess that's a person to person judgement maybe?

chilledpanda wrote: Really, though, you guys who participate in this awesome contest are all winners. I started doing this a couple years ago now because I read a little blurb someone wrote to CM about why they like doing the OSC. For me, at least, it is as true today as it was when I started
So true

fluffy_little_something wrote:
z.prime wrote:

Cheers!

Never mind, it is just my feeling. Sometimes I feel on KVR like a waltz lover who accidentally ended up on a break dance board :) I hardly like anything being posted on KVR. It all sounds overproduced to me, no space for instruments to breathe, etc.
Ah the effortlessness of critique and critism that comes so cheaply where actual participating takes actual time and effort.

chilledpanda wrote:
z.prime wrote:

Cheers!

Ah the effortlessness of critique and critism that comes so cheaply where actual participating takes actual time and effort.
What's your problem? I am not saying I can do it better, all I am saying is that I don't like that track, and hardly any other, either. When I say I don't like a certain car, do I have to build a better one before I am allowed to have that opinion?

fluffy_little_something wrote:... all I am saying is that I don't like that track, and hardly any other, either. When I say I don't like a certain car, do I have to build a better one before I am allowed to have that opinion?
Not at all; you're entitled to your opinion. And there's no need to justify it, either. Music is a very subjective beast and some people just don't like things because it doesn't resonate with them for whatever reason. It is, however, a bit in poor taste to jump in and knock everything about the OSC throughout this thread. Regardless; I, personally, appreciate you listening to my track. So, thank you. :)

z.prime wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:... all I am saying is that I don't like that track, and hardly any other, either. When I say I don't like a certain car, do I have to build a better one before I am allowed to have that opinion?
Not at all; you're entitled to your opinion. And there's no need to justify it, either. Music is a very subjective beast and some people just don't like things because it doesn't resonate with them for whatever reason. It is, however, a bit in poor taste to jump in and knock everything about the OSC throughout this thread. Regardless; I, personally, appreciate you listening to my track. So, thank you. :)
Actually, I like that synth a lot. I never said anything against its selection for the contest. I don't really like these contests as such, yes, mostly because it is all instrumentals, usually EDM. Because of that there is that tendency to overproduce tracks in order to compensate for the missing vocals.

In my view the best part of your track is from 2:38 to 3:49, it is less dense there, and there are a few nice chords in there.

chilledpanda wrote:
z.prime wrote:

Cheers!

What's your problem? I am not saying I can do it better, all I am saying is that I don't like that track, and hardly any other, either. When I say I don't like a certain car, do I have to build a better one before I am allowed to have that opinion?
Why should there be a problem? I was simply stating my opinion that it takes little effort to negatively critique, opposed to actually doing something. Always find it funny at those so readily give criticism find it hard to take and are so defensive. So the question is do you walk everywhere? lol

z.prime wrote:
Actually, I like that synth a lot. I never said anything against its selection for the contest. I don't really like these contests as such, yes, mostly because it is all instrumentals, usually EDM. Because of that there is that tendency to overproduce tracks in order to compensate for the missing vocals.

In my view the best part of your track is from 2:38 to 3:49, it is less dense there, and there are a few nice chords in there.
See much better critique posting :)

I just realized that Z.Prime had allready choosen his Price.
So I'll choose Synthmaster, oh glory, what a great Price.

Sorry to Kraftraum and others for making you wait.

Btw if you read this BJ, I havent recieved the ADHDidi Synth yet as it seems. I think there should have been a download link in my inbox if I remeber correctly.

Orboscope wrote:I just realized that Z.Prime had allready choosen his Price.
Btw if you read this BJ, I havent recieved the ADHDidi Synth yet as it seems. I think there should have been a download link in my inbox if I remeber correctly.
Thanks for this, I'm on it :)

photonic wrote:Congratulations !

I made a statistic about the winners of the OSC over time. Z. Prime is now the fourth artist after Yeager, IrionDaRonin and Jasinksi who won the OSC 5 times :clap: :clap: :clap:

You entered the hall of fame!

Congrats also to all other winners. Amazing tracks again.
*ehk-hem* Thought I might just jump in at this point and offer a sincere congrats to ZP for achieving this milestone.

As I'm sure everyone will agree ....simply a phenomenal achievement. :clap: :tu: :clap:

z.prime wrote: DoctorBob - Bluesy
For me, probably should have been in the top 5, a lot of really well used/designed sounds, supported this style really, really well...
Thanks Z ... means a lot when the winner appreciates my "style" and the amount of patch design I did to get just the right sounds for this piece. I try to produce tracks which are a little away from the "norm" for this comp - one day I may get it right :-)

In the end though, for me it's about being able to have a target to aim at, a challenge in working with a new synth each month and trying to drag sounds out of it which fit well with the particular genre I am chucking at you that month! As you know, my latest features "banjos" etc .. and who would have though an SH-101 could do it, but, it can (sort of!).

So, thanks again for that vote of confidence - I'll try harder next time ...

And, of course, congrats once again for carting off the first prize.

Rob

Return to “Instruments”