Is software equal to hardware as far as sound quality is concerned? (poll)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion

Is software equal to hardware as far as sound quality is concerned?

Yes
31%
No
10%
Sort Of
5%
Almost
9%
Ten years off
2%
Fish
13%
This debate drives me insane
29%

Total votes: 156

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think there is nothing that analog electronics can do that cannot be done digitally... in theory. Practice is another matter.

There are things I can do with a Red Witch Analog Fuzz God II, Proco Rat clone, and voltage-starving power supply, which I can't do with Maul, Ohmicide, Kombinat, Guitar Rig, and all the freeware distortion and fuzz effects I have, and most likely with all the plugins that have ever been written.

However, I wouldn't call it a difference of "quality" or some kind of inherent magic in analog electronics or a failure of software to be advanced enough.

The reverse is also true -- I'm pretty sure some of the plugins I've thrown together in a couple of hours do things that no roomful of analog hardware could. But people don't judge analog hardware that way, do they?

The purity of algorithms vs. the eccentricities of physical components. I prefer the eccentricities of physical components (although nowadays it's mainly just support components for a pre-burnt chip). Hardware just sounds "warmer" :roll: :wink: to me.

Which hardware and which software? Davolisint vs Cyclop?

Is the real question here "How much does software that imitates the same old handful of very good analogue intstruments sound when compared to those analogue instruments in question?"

This question never made and continues to make no sense, especially when painted in such broad terms. It's like asking if the sea is more watery than a lake.

rcat wrote:Hardware just sounds "warmer" :roll: :wink: to me.
OK, so discussion in thread is getting into the same groove that it has for the past 15 years

I am suprised at the yes's. Maybe a lot of those voting haven't use hardware? I voted almost because it's not quite there as far as quality, but as far as options, software has way more.

LimboLoves wrote:I am suprised at the yes's. Maybe a lot of those voting haven't use hardware?
If you wanted to hear from hardware users, then why didn't you post the poll in the hardware subforum? :roll:

This debate drives me insane, but for a different reason. From what I can tell there is absolutely no consensus on whether newer analog instruments sound as "warm" as older analog classics. See Prophet 08 for example... Anyways, you should use your tools for what they are, not what they are not... Would you endlessly try and use a hammer to unscrew a screw? When I am making new sounds I don't require sounds to sound "warm and analogue" because if all my sounds did life would be boring!
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

(please excuse possible double post, but i don't see what i thought i wrote earlier today.)

I went to the Moog store in Asheville trying to spot their new Emerson Rig. They told me they had it, along with Keith's actual rig, on display during MoogFest, and though they only plan on building a couple more, maybe they'll have another on the show room at some point. I mentioned wanting to get my hands on one, having spent a lot of time on the Arturia plug that Dr. Bob signed off on. But, defensively, I added that the sound of the soft synth was noway worthy of the actual hardware. Their reply was "Don't you think that whatever Stevie Wonder plays, he still sounds like Stevie Wonder?"

Yesterday I spotted a review that the great Dr. Pat Gleeson wrote on Amazon, along with comments he made on the Vintage Synth Review about the 2600V. He was harsh on the documentation and support, but really likes the plug. He mentions that the TimewArp sounds a lot more authentic, but speculates that many musicians would be more interested in extra features of the former. Wow. This was the guy, along with Joe Zawinul, who broke the original 2600 big onto the burgeoning fusion scene.

I don't know. I've been getting a lot of grins of late from both a refurbished black an gold Odyssey and Urs' Ace.

In my opinion I believe that we are so far from recreating true analog synthesis in software because in order to do so I think we would have to go beyond the component level and really approach it from a molecular level as crazy as that sounds.

I just don't believe that we have the true processing power to do this yet.

If and when that day comes I imagine we will be seeing more scientists developing music software. In the mean time hardware designed by scientists and engineers is really the best way to get the authentic analog tones.

With that all said I have so much respect for the pioneers like U-he (Diva),Fxpansion (Synthsquad), NI (Monark) and since I am a broke musician who can only afford plugins I love their efforts. One day though I am very keen on owning a analog synthesizer simply because I love the engineering and science put into them.

I don't understand the math behind it, but i got enough of an understanding that i think this is true since analog circuitry requires the real world physics of electrical interactions to take place.
:borg:

LimboLoves wrote:I am suprised at the yes's. Maybe a lot of those voting haven't use hardware? I voted almost because it's not quite there as far as quality, but as far as options, software has way more.
I voted yes... but it depends on what you mean by hardware. Do you mean analog hardware? If so, then analog still has something that digital has not reached to. If you mean digital hardware synths, then I think software has passed it by already.

That said, I think the point has been reached where sound quality is good enough in every area that it is just not a concern as such. Analog has some strengths that digital still does not match, but digital has some strengths that analog cannot reach either, especially when price is considered... and in the practical sense price matters. Take Bazille... a polyphonic modular FM synth... trying to duplicate that in hardware would cost what? $10K or more?

So, all things considered, I think yes is the best simple answer to a question that is not quite so simple.

Voice303 wrote:This debate drives me insane, but for a different reason. From what I can tell there is absolutely no consensus on whether newer analog instruments sound as "warm" as older analog classics. See Prophet 08 for example... Anyways, you should use your tools for what they are, not what they are not... Would you endlessly try and use a hammer to unscrew a screw? When I am making new sounds I don't require sounds to sound "warm and analogue" because if all my sounds did life would be boring!
THIS I subscribe 100%. That's why these debates drive me insane.
Fernando (FMR)

V0RT3X wrote:In my opinion I believe that we are so far from recreating true analog synthesis in software because in order to do so I think we would have to go beyond the component level and really approach it from a molecular level ...
:nutter:
Last edited by fmr on Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Urs wrote:I voted no simply because I'm convinced that software has left hardware behind.
I love your spin on an obviously loaded question.

fmr wrote:
V0RT3X wrote:In my opinion I believe that we are so far from recreating true analog synthesis in software because in order to do so I think we would have to go beyond the component level and really approach it from a molecular level ...
:nutter:
What's crazy about that? I think in order to do proper simulations you really would have to approach it this way in order to get a super authentic analog experience. Of course maybe it would be overkill, but.. i think the only reason that it has not been done before is because we do not have the computing power available to do a full blown synthesizer using technology like this.

Check this out.
http://www.reprise.com/host/electricity/atoms.asp
:borg:

No, guys, really, is it so important? Is that era so iconic? In terms of possibilities of musical expression well programmed softsynth is capable of much more than any HW. What is it that the old sounds are so hot for so much people? I know, it's hard to find over all the silly anthemic pop-house sh*t, but there is huge amount of amazing new electronical music that is not EDM. Find mrSuicideSheep on YouTube and hear for yourself. ...and thanks to softsynths it doesn't sounds like from seventies. Is it nostalgia? Or what is driving this obsession? I don't understand it, please fix my wek knowledge on this issue.
Evovled into noctucat...
http://www.noctucat.com/

Return to “Instruments”