Do you use a hardware controller to edit your VST instruments?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Do you use a hardware controller to edit your VST instruments?

If so, which one?

Do you set up all your instruments to control the same way... best you can? For instance, is Cutoff & Resonance always the same particular knob or slider?

What are the functions you absolutely have to have configured for hardware control? Say you downloaded a new demo model, do you set up certain controls right away or do you mouse around until you learn the synth?

I have a Push, nanoKontrol2 and Bass Station II which I've set up and used for controlling cc/mcu but at the end of the day I find that it's faster just to use the mouse/kbd. In order of frequency of use, my DAWs are Reaper, Live & Studio One 2.

Even when I use Live with the Push which has everything pre-mapped, I still end up using mouse more often than not.

Having said that, I plan to try out the v-control pro v-window option on my ipad soon to see if I like it.

When I do use a controller, the buttons I use most often are Play/stop, mod & pitch wheels, and program change msgs.

I use the mouse to edit plug-in instruments... edit as in design my preset sounds. Then when the sound is designed, I make a Live Instrument Rack and assign interesting modulation parameters (cutoff or whatever) to the Macros which can then be controlled during playing via the knobs on my Push.

Have a Novation 61SL MKII for that.

I build special templates, only for the synths I use most, like the xils, and it works wonder.
Well its still a lot of work to build something coherent for a synth, so I dont do it until I'm sure I will get a lot of use out of a particular synth./

Having filter commands almost always attached with the same knobs seems a good idea in an ideal world. However, you'll soon find that the topology of synths beeing vastly different, its useless to have a too strict scheme for that.

I'd say that with the Novation system, as you can freely label your parameters, thinking in term of 'zones' and pages is much more productive. Ymmv.

I mainly use this systems for prods who need heavy real time tweaking though, and barely for sound design. For sound design, operating with hands, feets and mouse is always faster ( because of the page system + re-learning the translation in the automap thing ) and more precise ( + over years it will give you a monstruous and solid left hand :) )
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

Nope, just a MIDI guitar. I like to keep it simple, and presets are very important, so I can adjust minimally to suit either the song or preference at the time. I could never use one of those plugins that go all over the place in presets, like snare and whales and stuff.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

I have push and for keys, an impuse 49.

Frankly, I'm VERY frustrated lifetime at trying to use filters/etc with controllers. Seems like in all these years, there is always something........some fatal flaw, that keeps me from having the tactile experience I'm sure 1000's have. So, I end up automating in the host most of the time, and that is another can of worms. So then I work with the sound as is :hihi:

anyways, there is nothing wrong with the two controller I mentioned (though push may not be kosher for host x w/o PXT. )

This is the major set back and complaint about software isn't it? I currently use a nocturne 49, but was so frustrated with auto map and the resources it hogged I unistalled it and just use the controller as is. These days most soft instruments have a midi learn, which is a life saver as far as I'm concerned. I'm interested in seeing what the new NEKTAR controllers can do. I'm not holding my breath tho.

Dasheesh wrote:This is the major set back and complaint about software isn't it? I currently use a nocturne 49, but was so frustrated with auto map and the resources it hogged I unistalled it and just use the controller as is. These days most soft instruments have a midi learn, which is a life saver as far as I'm concerned. I'm interested in seeing what the new NEKTAR controllers can do. I'm not holding my breath tho.
For sure it is an issue with software... The other big issue with software that does not get mentioned as much is that one can easily have so much of it. Imagine having 20, 30 or even 40 hardware synths... It would be overwhelming... yet I think lots of people have that many software synths. So I think that it's an unrealistic expectation that a smartly implemented controller can make those many thousands of parameters, from highly variable and diverse softsynths, tactile and fluid.

I'm very much a hands-on sorta guy and I really don't like using a mouse to make music. I use my Virus TI2 and Kurzweil PC3X as my main controllers and it's pretty simple to set these up to control plugins using MIDI Learn. I also use my iPads with some simple, custom templates made for the Lemur app. And, my Queneo just arrived yesterday, so I'm pretty anxious to start making some custom templates for that. I plan on using it mostly for drum soft synths (esp. Battery 4, Nerve, & Tremor), but I can see it being a fantastic controller for Effectrix, Turnado, Thesys, etc.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

I use Kore2 controller with the eight knobs it's a dream to fast control the most important values (imo) of every vst and yes they are always on the same knob. ;)
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

I have always found what ever is fastest works. So because I play a keyboard mostly, I just go for the best feeling keys I can play, while taking space and cost. I used to have a sy35 that made a great set of keys. The best keyboard I ever played was probably the waldorf q. I love those waldorf key beds. The novation x station was very good in that regard. I liked those keys and it would fit well with todays prodigals as a product. I wish they would bring back an improved x station with attention to the keys. I'm not big on the nocturne keys tbh.

When I am designing sounds mouse is enough, when playing/improvising I map most usefull parameters.

The market is really lacking a proper controller designed for soft synths.
dedication to flying

Sometimes. If I don't want to automate parameters, I'll just play on my larger keyboard, but if I do, I have an Akai MPK Mini.

I dont so far but I am thinking of getting the new Behringer X-Touch when it is released

Edit: sorry I did not see this was for editing instruments, the X-Touch is more for mixing

Return to “Instruments”