Official Serum thread!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Good evening.
I am delighted to announce the release of "Expand Your Mind" - hypnotic sequences for Serum.

30% off discount will be available for two weeks.

Expand Your Mind product page

:party:

Mikael Adle
Leap Into The Void
Sounds and presets for UVI Falcon "Iterata X".
Bazille soundset - Crystalline Textures 3.

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Woohoo! :party:

Too bad I've just finished a track which uses Serum. :-P
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I think the main "problem" that people react to in Serum's sound is around the filters, they simply don't, by default, saturate and "warm up" the sound like the filters in Sylenth1, Spire, Dune 2, Zebra 2, etc. You can probably get the result you ultimately want, but its more work -- one trick I've seen is using the FX filter to swallow up a bunch of high end and add some low-mid saturation.

This is why a virtual instrument is more than just a box of parts -- little design decisions about how those parts should interact with each other and react to user input makes a big difference in what you might call the timbral tessitura of the instrument. And "instrument" is really the key word here, most people approach a VSTi the way they might approach a guitar & amp -- turn it on, twist some knobs, get the sound, move on. However, if you're willing to treat it more like a laboratory, then every synth immediately becomes way more flexible -- albeit at a cost of time and effort.

So basically everyone is right about their own perspective on Serum. With the features it has, it is certainly possible to get a "warm" sound, but it is not geared toward that unlike other synths, and you'll have to put in additional work for something which you might expect to happen automatically. And so Serum doesn't tend to get used for "warm" sounds -- you can really here this in the Serum work of proessional sound designers like Simon Stockhausen and Joseph Hollo who are normally known for warm/ethereal sounds, even with them, their Serum stuff sounds remarkably "colder."

Of course, Serum can do sounds that are flat out impossible in a bunch of other classic synths, so, tradeoffs and all that.
Makin' Music Great Again 8)

Hopefully one more VST I won't need to put my reading classes on to use (it's so not rock and roll!)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Serum 1.2 is out as today 15th of June 2017.

It consumes 0 GPU when not in use. Now that's proper GUI optimisation.

Cheers Steve :clap: :clap: :clap:

The mac version is up anyway.......I imagine the PC one is uploading?
rsp
sound sculptist

:D Resizable GUI

Sampleconstruct wrote:
liv wrote:Sorry if I am missing something obvious but is smooth not applicable on LFO 5-8?
It's broken.
And now fixed in version 1.2, took almost a year, but good things need time...

It's out and it' awesome!

Allows to set any size by dragging and also and default size(s) via menu under the logo. Wavetables so beautiful :party:

Might use this awesome synth even more. How about another track? :love:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Anyone has change log? There seems to be no log provided in the download info

Edit: nwm found it

changes for 1.20b1:
mostly focused around GUI re-write, a number of changes under the hood for other future features
added: default oversampling level now (optionally) can be set in Serum.cfg file (otherwise 2x as usual)
added: WT Editor->Add/Remove menu->Reduce submenu: thins the number of frames, in order to easily keep only every Nth frame.
added: ability to get a separate vertical grid size for the LFO with text entry: double-click on grid size (assuming pref enabled) and type e.g. 8,12 for 8 horizontal and 12 vertical grid lines.
added: secondary sort method for preset browser, Serum will remember the previous column you clicked for ordering and use that as a secondary ordering: e.g. click Location column, presets are sorted by location. Then click Rating column and the presets will be sorted by Rating, but the sorting within a given rating will be ordered by Location.
added: alt-drag LFO tile to WT now an official feature / works on Windows too
added: preset name is now rescanned on Serum instances re-opening (for checkmark / menu advancing)
added: resizable interface (lower-right corner), zoom menu in top-left (Serum logo) and preference/setting in Zoom Menu for default window size.
fix: oversampling level wasn’t visually updating on preset changes unless GUI closed/reopened
fix: a project saved with hidden piano keyboard was not visually re-opening properly on song reload in some hosts
fix: dragging macro mod sources weren’t changing mouse cursor to ‘+’ on some systems
fix: right-clicking env curve handles would visually reset to linear but would revert to the previous curve if not touched further.
fix: it was possible to get the mouse ‘stuck’ held on the page selector buttons if using both mouse buttons.
fix: using copy Osc A<>B could lead to a crash with active voices playing in certain situations
fix: pressing ESC with a pop-up text entry enabled could crash FL studio (as ESC was closing the Serum window and the text entry simultaneously).
fix: improvements to ‘clear effect tails on transport stop’ (reduced CPU)
fix: some small memory leaks surrounding preset browser searches
fix: non-visible LFO rate on active notes wasn’t updating when automating rates directly in host.
fix: Smooth knob on LFO 5-8 was not working in all situations
fix: Preset folders containing a single-quote (‘) were not appearing in browser or could cause issues
fix: fixes to double-click for typable values on Windows
fix: exporting 16-bit wav files would incorrectly export full code sample values as full negative
fix: in some cases a preset made “init preset” default saw would, once reloaded after other presets, retain the oscillator shape to from previous preset.
fix: checkmarks weren’t showing on Matrix mod destination menus when the assignment was made via drag and drop (until window reopened).
fix: ‘Var” parameter for Combs/Allpasses/Reverb filters was not displaying the text label (‘Damp’).
fix: effects were not resuming from suspend if source signal 100% R channel only
fix: loading LFO shapes could parse an improper curve or Y value in some rare situations
fix: adding LFO loop points and switching to Off mode would not remove the loop points until updating the LFO graph
fix: when exporting the entire effect rack (creating .fxr files) the effect chain order and module-bypasses were not saving correctly.
fix: when browsing presets, Macro knob values were not loading correctly in Reason 9.5

i like the update. Good and solid fixes and the resizing works like a charm.

Brilliant synth now even better oh and big ..Thanks Steve
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

tested v1.20b2 on win32/64 , works perfect for me, it's a nice , thx mr.duda.

Ditto

One of the nbest just goit a whole lot better for me....and I look better using it without my reading glasses :D
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Return to “Instruments”