Codex vs Serum

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Codex Wavetable Synth Serum

It's definitely not a wavetable synth, but looks like a lot of fun. I'd love to see some spectral goodies in a Serum 2. :)

Codex was a fantastic sounding synth, but sadly, even on my uber computer, it ate a lot of resources so I ended up selling it for about what it cost me. Element doesn't use the same resources. But it sounded terrific!

kiezum wrote:Massive is still a wonderful synth. I'm always amazed how beautiful it sounds. But compared to Serum it sounds vintage.
It's funny, I found myself thinking the same thing. When Massive came out, at the time it definitely sounded more clear and hi-fi compared to older wave scanning synths like the PPG. Now comparing Serum to Massive is like comparing Massive to a PPG in terms of oscillator purity...another step up the ladder. Both perfectly valid sounds for different things, of course - I still like Massive quite a bit and Serum can't entirely replace what it does (even with Massive wavetables loaded into it).
http://www.davidvector.com
New album, Chasing Fire, out now on Amazon, iTunes, etc.
Bandcamp: https://davidvector.bandcamp.com/releases

discoDSP wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:What about the sound quality?
I'm also interested on this. Let's not forget that wavetable also needs a good interpolation or it can sound really bad, pretty much like a sampler, like http://www.discodsp.com/highlife/aliasing/
What does this mean? That link is down. Thanks.

Codex is on sale for $29 right now. http://www.waves.com/plugins/codex#code ... h-tutorial
Worth it? (I have Serum)
Thanks in advance for replies.

~22$ if You do a little research :)
For me it's worth, but I don't have Serum.

Wonder if this big price drop was in response to the Serum update - seems quite a coincidence ...

Kumi_27 wrote:~22$ if You do a little research :)
For me it's worth, but I don't have Serum.
:lol: Found it! Thanks Kumi! :clap:

mcbpete wrote:Wonder if this big price drop was in response to the Serum update - seems quite a coincidence ...
Yeah, that thought crossed my mind as well!

Vectorman wrote:I still like Massive quite a bit and Serum can't entirely replace what it does (even with Massive wavetables loaded into it).
Bit of a necro replying to this, but I really miss having 2 parallel filters when using Serum. Not quite enough to get back with my ex so I can use Massive again, but I do feel the loss. :lol:

One of my favourite tricks in Massive was to attach osc A to filter A (low pass) and osc B to filter B (high pass), both filters at the same cutoff frequency which are then swept up and down as one. The net effect was kinda like having a single sweeping 'central' frequency, with one waveform below and a different waveform above it. Unbelievably juicy wobbles (I know, I know... it was 2010) abound, especially when you used a simple analogish wave for the bottom end and a more complex modulated wavetable for the top end. Kinda sounds like an 'impossible' low pass in practice.

I have found that in the three-way race that happened back then between the ol' steady Massive, the new upstart host shot Serum, and the quirky and now ridiculously cheap Codex, In the long run, Codex was the only one I could do without.
Codex is fun. Its simpler and sounds good, and is worth well more than $25. But as old as Massive is, and without being able to load a ffffing thing, it still has a solid spot in the roster, imo.
ImageImageImageImage

And then there's SynthMaster.

mcbpete wrote:Wonder if this big price drop was in response to the Serum update - seems quite a coincidence ...
I hardly think Xfer is even keeping track of Codex. It is just not competing WT synthesizers; Serum blows Waves' half baked monster out of the water, though I don't believe I'm stating a sentiment that's probably not been thought by just about everyone who knows what the two are.
* AKAI, KRK, UAD, Softube Vol 1, Soundtoys
* Live, Logic, Serum, Spire, Dune 2, Hive

double post
* AKAI, KRK, UAD, Softube Vol 1, Soundtoys
* Live, Logic, Serum, Spire, Dune 2, Hive

musiclover55547 wrote:
I hardly think Xfer is even keeping track of Codex. It is just not competing WT synthesizers; Serum blows Waves' half baked monster out of the water, though I don't believe I'm stating a sentiment that's probably not been thought by just about everyone who knows what the two are.
I actually meant the other way round - as in Waves going .... oh god the best WT synth out there has had even more good stuff added to it what the hell are we gonna do with our thing: quick, slash the price!

Return to “Instruments”