How to turn on VST when passes a CC Value?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have 16 vsts all turned off. I would like to turn a knob and when the CC value hits a certain value, it turns on selected vst ON.

so when the knob is on value 1,8,16,24,32...ext.... its turning on VST 1,2,3,4,5...ext. while shutting off the rest.

I cant figure out how to make the vsts shut off when they are not on selected value.

there are a ton of midi utilities i have to use to build it. just do not understand how.

Wouldn't it be easier to use a solo button?

thecontrolcentre wrote:Wouldn't it be easier to use a solo button?
if i had 16 solo buttons to spare i would. Actually setting them to a single knob would be way eaisyer as a performance stand point. I know none linear ideas are complected, but please a mapping solution would be helpful.

As far as existing software, one Piz cc one has thresh, not sure how that works. I could make one, but haven't as of so far and there aren't really any other Synthedit users currently in the creative field. It's probably possible with existing stuff.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

controlling a vst active state is obviously a host function.
which host are you using?
given your previous posts, id assume ableton, then i suggest you read up on the chain functionality, it wont deactivate a vst but you can determine routing.
( i know its not fashionable, but rtfm its got alot of useful info in it)

thetechnobear wrote:controlling a vst active state is obviously a host function.
given your previous posts, id assume ableton, then i suggest you read up on the chain functionality, it wont deactivate a vst but you can determine routing.
I am using ableton and energyxt.

What DAW i am using has nothing to do with my question. its a math Question. I need to convert a CC Value into an ON signal, while any other signal then the selected value shuts them off.

I made a gif photo to further explain what i want.
Untitled-1.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

zoogoo wrote: its a math Question.
This is maths, shit, no wonder I failed the exams
Amazon: why not use an alternative

thetechnobear wrote:controlling a vst active state is obviously a host function.

Could you please explain how to do that? i tried making a chain and it did not work. How do you determine routing?
df.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

zoogoo wrote: What DAW i am using has nothing to do with my question. its a math Question. I need to convert a CC Value into an ON signal, while any other signal then the selected value shuts them off.
Its not a maths question at all... its all about how you route midi data, and that is very specific to a DAW!
... but hey, if you know the answers, then obviously you don't need my help.

ok, so assuming your still listening, as you would like some help, I'll give you an example.
(btw, this is in the manual and there are various youtube videos too that explain it, id recommend these, as they will give you further ideas)

a) create an instrument rack
b) drop each of your VSTs into it.
c) open chain, drags zones to cover entire 0-127
d) now right click , distribute zones equally
e) click map, select chain selector , and then macro 1 map
at this point macro1 (chain selector ) now can select VST

now you can choose how the VST is selected:
via midi CC
- edit midi map, now you can map a midi CC to the macro knob

via LFO midi (M4L)
- add LFO midi before the instrument rack
- click MAP on the LFO midi, then click on the chain selector on 'knob'

if the above doesnt not work, then read manual/you tube... about chain selectors, to visually see how to do it.

ok, some variations...
- you don't actually have to map the chain selector to a macro in the instrument rack, i only do this because its clearer as to whats going on... you can map either CC or the LFO midi directly to the chain selector
- above I made the chain cover 0-127, as it makes it a bit easier for CC selection and LFO, but instead you could select 0 = VST 1, 1=VST 2 2=VST3 etc. then constrain your inputs. this is useful if you can send precise CC values e.g. via a button.

final observation...
as i told you in your other threads this, this has nothing to do with CC being sent via track input, its all don't via 'remote' midi.

if you want it, to be done via track data, then you should consider using the "Max Api CtrlMIDIcc" or "Expression Control" M4L objects, this allows parameter control from the track input stream to control most things.

ok, I hope this gives you some ideas, but please remember Ableton is extremely flexible, there are many ways to do these things, it really is worth reading the manual and experimenting, that way you will be able to adapt the various techniques to do what you would like... thats when you can get very creative.

note: the above is on Live9/Mac OSX but I'm sure it should be ok for other versions

Return to “Instruments”