Gforce introduces the new oddity version 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Oddity2

Oddity 2 sounds rather lovely. Great selection of presets also :clap:
The orange labels jump out a little too much. :)

metrosonic wrote:
Kriminal wrote: sure, but i cant see them making any gui changes, they are obviously happy with it, its pretty much the same as V1.... :shrug:
I get the requirement for a larger GUI to facilitate larger/clearer fonts but the layout is based on the Odyssey because it's an emulation and once you get used to it's idiosyncratic ways it makes a lot of sense. I think there's a very good chance that they'll offer a choice of GUI size options at some point as high pixel density monitors are becoming the norm for the majority of musicians.

But if you don't get on with the ARP Odyssey's workflow you're not going to get on with the Oddity v1 or v2 and there are plenty of other options out there.

But as I said originally, the important thing for me with Oddity2 is the way it sounds and ease with which you can program it once you become accustomed to the layout.
yes, i get all that....as i keep saying, i dont need a bigger gui, just a better font. The fact you have to actually move some slider to read a label is a workflow killer too.

I had V1. Never used it....

I have to agree that I'm not loving the font choice.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

I think the GUI is ok but I agree that it could be bigger.
I've really fallen in love with this synth :love: I never used Oddity 1 but 2 is such an improvement... a really great update.
I must have bought almost every new synth released in the last few months - Codex/Element/Serum/Bazille/Blue2/Spectral/Matrix12V - and they all have their good points but I'm finding myself going back to the Oddity 2 as the sound really gels with what I'm doing. haven't had this much fun since I got my first Virus (which was stolen - thanks Vincent :tantrum: ).
The preset management sucks though... Can we please have the sounds divided into categories?

Definately not regretting getting v2. Didn't use v1 much, infact sold it 2 months ago, but this is a great update. The 3 filters, poly-mode and the additional XLFO/ENV know from Minimonsta adds a much needed new dimension. Infact it made me go back to Minimonsta and had a blast getting reaquinted!

If only the sliders would respond to the mousewheel, it would be easier to tweak.
music // twolegs // geometriae
sounddesign // twolegstoneworks

Yeah, GUI could be smoother, but I can live with that for the sound! Love the black and orange, but it'd be awesome if it changed colours with the filter mode!
kelvyn wrote: The preset management sucks though... Can we please have the sounds divided into categories?
They are? The patch banks are called Mono, Pads & Strings, Leads etc. The default bank is a mixture though. The AU presets are the same.

What's really funny is how some people used to say that Oddity should not be polyphonic because it would ruin the authenticity of the original. I thought that was absurd. Glad to see not too many complaining about that horrible button that turns on polyphony and ow much it ruins the experience. :hihi:

Wow really enjoying this! The new modulation part is genious! But one thing bugs me. In legato mode, the XAdsr keeps resetting the envelope while playing legato parts. (when modulating for example the filter cutoff). Or have i missed something? Anyway, Gforce is one of my favourite developers! First Imposcar 2 then this.. Christmas came early!

Charlie Firpo wrote:Wow really enjoying this! The new modulation part is genious! But one thing bugs me. In legato mode, the XAdsr keeps resetting the envelope while playing legato parts. (when modulating for example the filter cutoff). Or have i missed something? Anyway, Gforce is one of my favourite developers! First Imposcar 2 then this.. Christmas came early!
It might be argued b GForce that this is by design (only standard envelopes/LFO's react to Legato rules) but it seems an oversight by my reckoning too.

In saying that, Oddity isn't intended to be a full blown modular. And because you're effectively unlimited in the number of X-ADSR/X-LFO's you allocate; to have them all running freely (whilst in Legato mode) might have a substantial impact on CPU performance (just a guess from my limited knowledge of DSP).

Here is a short piece made with the Oddity 2. All Oddity except the Kick drum. Thanks to G-force for such a great synth. https://soundcloud.com/rustyvst/vanelli

Metrosonic, DSP code isn't really my strong side. But what you say makes sense. Kinda wish that Oddity had 2 "main" ADSR envelopes. But then again it would stray away too far from the original concept. But working in boundaries is fun. I've often seen people say that less is more.. But still.. Really wish that the Xadsr envelope would'nt reset ;-)

It's a very nice sounding synth, here's a demo with everything except drums from Oddity2

https://soundcloud.com/kimik/oddity2-pr ... ey-presets

...and if the devs read this, lets have an arpeggiator, chord hold button, more pan modes and a midicontrollable crossfader for morphing between two presets.
Last edited by kimik on Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Padamantium - 100 Pads for Repro-5 available now @ The Patchbay.
Also packs for TAL-UNO-LX, Oddity 2, TAL-Bassline101 https://thepatchbay.co.uk/creator/kimik/

kelvyn wrote: The preset management sucks though... Can we please have the sounds divided into categories?
They are? The patch banks are called Mono, Pads & Strings, Leads etc. The default bank is a mixture though. The AU presets are the same.[/quote]

Damn! Missed that in my enthusiasm... I figured that the other banks would have the same setup as the default bank. Thanks for the info:)

Echoes in the Attic wrote:What's really funny is how some people used to say that Oddity should not be polyphonic because it would ruin the authenticity of the original. I thought that was absurd. Glad to see not too many complaining about that horrible button that turns on polyphony and ow much it ruins the experience. :hihi:
I can understand the argument to keep it authentic, but really all you have to do is switch it to Mono mode. I see Oddity2 as a mono/duo synth and that's how I use it. Above all else, it sounds wonderful!

After further time with the Oddity 2 demo, I'm really struggling with GAS :help:

One thing I will say is that graphically the GUI is pretty low-rent. The quality of the sound deserves something much better! What's with the black highlights on the brown buttons? Better still do away with the jelly-beans...would be much better with the chunkier buttons as per later Odysseys.

Return to “Instruments”