iZotope Iris 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Annual Subscription for Iris Presets Iris 2

egbert101 wrote:If you guys have any suggestions for what could improve Iris? I'd like to know. Maybe it will get feed back to iZotope.

I'd say, allowing multisampled samples, perhaps wavetable support, additive synth engine like Harmor or Serum, granular synthesis, cross modulation between layers, that kind of stuff.

EDIT: Oh vector-sized or different sizes of graphic user interface.
That's what the other 1,001 synths in the world are for. Just let Iris be Iris please.

Now I am all for improvements in the spirit of spectral filtering and workflow which is the heart of Iris.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

egbert101 wrote: EDIT: Oh vector-sized or different sizes of graphic user interface.
Just click-and-drag the lower right corner et voilà ...

First i think bugs should be addressed to izotope :)
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

atya wrote:
egbert101 wrote: EDIT: Oh vector-sized or different sizes of graphic user interface.
Just click-and-drag the lower right corner et voilà ...
Yup! Full screen goodness!

Plus you can select just one wave to edit at a time, which will fill up the spectrogram area, rather than view all 4 slots together. You can select just slot 1,2,3, 4, or all.

Caine123 wrote:First i think bugs should be addressed to izotope :)
+1 to that!!! ^^^

Brian is a nice guy and was quite active here after Iris 2 came out, but Simon posted a lot of serious bugs and there wasn't any update for ages, so I wouldn't expect anything but maybe a fix for OS upgrades like he wrote. It may not be "officially" discontinued but like several of their other plugins I personally do not expect to see any serious development anymore.
Izotope is a bit of a weird company and seems to live in a reality distortion field when they try with Iris 2 to make it fit for dubstep-producers creating wobble bass. Totally off target I'd say.
It's a brilliant plugin that could be enhanced a lot in the area it already covers, but it is a tool for sound-design, not another sylenth.

But it's always worth a try so be sure to send them your bug reports etc. :-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

They really should go back to what was great in version 1 and build on that, forget about version 2 entirely as a step in the wrong direction that has ended up painting them in a corner they now can't get out of.

aMUSEd wrote:They really should go back to what was great in version 1 and build on that, forget about version 2 entirely as a step in the wrong direction that has ended up painting them in a corner they now can't get out of.
So what exactly can you do in v1 that you cannot do in v2??? I'm only asking because I never had v1....

Once upon a time I demoed Iris 2. Absolutely fell in love with "African Sunrise" preset so much that i decided to buy a plugin. So I did, and used this preset in one track so far. The track is going to be released soon, but didn't launch Iris since then :hihi:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

zzz00m wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:They really should go back to what was great in version 1 and build on that, forget about version 2 entirely as a step in the wrong direction that has ended up painting them in a corner they now can't get out of.
So what exactly can you do in v1 that you cannot do in v2??? I'm only asking because I never had v1....
Load version 1 presets for a start - there were a considerable number of izotope produced and third party patches available, none of which worked in v2. It also has an XY which they dropped in v2. All v2 adds is some extra modulation and an uglier GUI (with comic sans font) - both in an attempt to wow the dubsteppers it seems. Some extra modulation isn't a bad idea I suppose but they could add that to version 1 without sabotaging its ability to use its own patches.

aMUSEd wrote:
zzz00m wrote:
Load version 1 presets for a start - there were a considerable number of izotope produced and third party patches available, none of which worked in v2. It also has an XY which they dropped in v2. All v2 adds is some extra modulation and an uglier GUI (with comic sans font) - both in an attempt to wow the dubsteppers it seems. Some extra modulation isn't a bad idea I suppose but they could add that to version 1 without sabotaging its ability to use its own patches.
Since I don't have any v1 patches, then it sounds like no problem at all here with v2, although I do sympathize with v1 owners who got the shaft. :wink:

DJ Warmonger wrote:Once upon a time I demoed Iris 2. Absolutely fell in love with "African Sunrise" preset so much that i decided to buy a plugin. So I did, and used this preset in one track so far. The track is going to be released soon, but didn't launch Iris since then :hihi:
That is a very cool patch. I am finding a lot of that quality in the Luftrum 10 sound set for Iris. :tu:

I wouldn't go as far, if it would work and would be improved, the GUI in v2 is much better IMO and the modulation system is lovely.
It's just that modulating modulators often just doesn't do anything (randomly) when you reload a patch and that they are using weird parameter scalings that make it very hard to work with them since they are logarithmic. A proper modulation system should compensate for that automatically (like for instance in Bitwig).

As for overall enhancements, there would be many things that could be done without breaking the vibe, like realtime modulation of in and out points, better filters (I happen to hate all the ones included), having soft-selection for regions, not only hard borders, being able to morph between a couple of selections in the same sample or automate their position...
I guess every user could come up with quite a lot of great stuff that would keep the original spirit intact.
But first we would need to see a sign for any interest to actually move it forward at all.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

this is the BUG list from Sampleconstruct! any more additions?

*The Sample&Hold (random) LFO is still broken in version 2.01, in most cases it decides not to modulate, sometimes it modulates, so it’s behavior is very erratic. Also the speed of the random LFO can currently not be modulated with any controller. So all patches using a random LFO are affected by that. iZotope is still working on a fix for this issue (they said in March 2015).

*When you assign the modulation wheel to the main output gain using negative values, e.g. something like -20% to compensate for the gain boost introduced by the distortion FX (also assigned to the wheel), the next time you open the preset the wheel will totally mute the output when fully engaged, as the master output knob at the top of the UI can't be assigned to any controller anymore, the only workaround is to individually assign negative values to the individual outputs of each oscillator.

*Trying to modulate Chorus depth (not mix) with a Macro doesn't work, the knob modulation indicator is actually moving when tuning the Macro but the sound doesn't change.

*Since Iris 2 the Send-levels to the FX modules are routed pre-envelope, so when a patch is using the FX-Send-mode, a sound will reach the FX section although it’s sustain level might be turned to zero. They are thinking of adding a pre/post-switch to fix this issue, the workaround is, to also assign the amplitude envelope of an oscillator the the respective send level.

*The feature to change LFO waveforms via Macros has been removed in Iris 2

*As the minimum/maximum modulation amount was removed in Iris 2, some modulation values can not be assigned accurately anymore, like e.g. delay times, cutoff levels etc, so some modulation levels might slightly differ in the converted Iris 2 patches.

*The new architecture of Iris 2 renders some former assignments useless/impossible, so I used many workarounds in the Iris 2 patches, sometimes I also added a few modulations here and there, taking advantage of the new modulation system. But the new patches sound just as good :)

*The zipper noises in Iris 2 when moving/automating Macros and other controllers like the Modwheel have increased significantly in comparison with version 1, if you move them slow enough, you will be able to avoid those artifacts.

*CPU usage has significantly increased in Iris 2.

*The master output knob at the top of the GUI can't be modulated anymore.

*Limiter amount can't be modulated anymore.

*Modulating delay time with an LFO does not produce usable results.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Return to “Instruments”