Poly-Ana and L'il Poly-Ana 1.21 are released.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
L'il Poly-Ana Poly-Ana

rasmusklump wrote:Thank you very much for this new version of that great sounding synth.
You're welcome!

Okay, I've uploaded another version, exact same version number 1.21, but with the "Beta" taken out of the background image. You can differentiate between the downloads as the new ones say "1_2_1a" in the filename.

There are no other changes from yesterday's release, other than the changed background image resource, so if you downloaded it yesterday and the word "Beta" isn't bothering you, save us both some bandwidth and don't bother getting this new one.

(L'il Poly-Ana was already fine and is unchanged from yesterday.)

Thanks again for pointing this out, Echoes. I'm usually so exhausted and frazzled by the time a release goes out that I can't even really see it anymore. (Even when the coding is completely done, it still takes about 7 hours of fast-as-I-can, non-stop work to do final release compilations for all 12 platforms and flavors, do quick final tests of each of them, update the documentation, upload the distributables to the website, update the website copy plus any required changes to the download and sales scripts, test the website, update the KVR database and news items, and post news threads like this one. But, being small and agile, when I do mess up, I can get a fix out very quickly as well. But even this fix, which is conceptually a no-brainer, just took me the last 4 hours to do!)

Thanks and please help spread the word, folks. Nothing helps more than word of mouth.

AdmiralQuality wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:I downloaded the 1.21 file from the site but the Bui still says beta. Did I get the right file? File name says 1.21.

By the way in Bitwig, poly-Ana often doesn't make sound in some presets until I reload it. Then sometimes some presets blow up and go red. Loading it again a couple times made it fine. I loaded from a saved. I twig preset, not sure if the same would happen straight from the vst folder. Can't really report anything more reproducible as I don't know what makes that happen sometimes.
Oh! You're right. (I've been testing the Custom Backgrounds so much I neglected to remember I needed to take that out of the GUI!) Believe what the Parameter Display at the top tells you when it first opens (or what it says in the Options Dialog when you click on the product name). The background is just an image (and all the old Custom Backgrounds have the wrong version number on them as well and I won't be changing them).

Will fix that in the next update. No, it's not Beta anymore. I expect we'll be having another update soon as I'm already aware of a few small issues.

And I'll take a look at it in Bitwig and see if I can reproduce that. Is that in Windows or OSX? (Note that Bitwig is a bit weird as it's Java-based.) Thanks for the report.
OSX here.

And yep, I noticed the 1.21 beside my account name at the top after I posted. I've always used another skin from your site anyways that I really like (Poly-AnaBG_simple1_by_Scott_Kane.png), which says 1.1:

Don't care, just making sure I had the right file.

Did anyone else experience anything like what Echoes is describing? Any other Bitwig users on OSX try it yet?

One thing I suspect might help would be avoiding playing notes while switching between patches that have different Polyphony settings. While I wanted Poly-Ana to behave as closely to classic '70s programmable analog polyphonics as possible, hence the voices continuing to play when you change patch-programs, one thing none of them offered was a choice over the number of voices your program used -- it was always just a hard-wired feature of the synth. When we allow this, it opens up some tricky logic that I'm still somewhat suspect of. I may be putting in a feature to kill currently running voices when the Polyphony setting is changed, if this turns out to be the source of the issue.

Or, if you're sure that's not what's causing it, let me know about that too please. So far I can't reproduce this myself.

How's 1.21 treating everybody? Any questions? Bugs to report?

New in 1.21 is support for Custom Backgrounds in the L'il Poly-Ana version, as well as OS X support for Custom Backgrounds for both L'il and full Poly.

To get you started, here's a copy of the built-in L'il Poly-Ana background image file, here:
http://www.admiralquality.com/products/ ... -AnaBG.png

Sorry there's no Photoshop template for constructing your own like we have for full Poly-Ana, but this should help you get the correct image size and control locations. It's also a simple matter of rotating the hue if you want it in a different color. Send us your favorite Poly-Ana and/or L'il Poly-Ana backgrounds and if we like them we'll put them up on the site, here:
http://www.admiralquality.com/products/ ... ackgrounds

Instructions:

To activate a custom background on Windows, make sure the file is named Poly-AnaBG.png (or LilPoly-AnaBG.png for L'il Poly-Ana) and create the folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Admiral Quality\Poly-Ana\" and place it there. (On 32 bit versions of Windows use the "Program Files" folder instead of "Program Files (x86)". Both the 32 and the 64 bit versions of Poly-Ana will reference this same location.)

To activate a custom background on OSX, make sure the file is named Poly-AnaBG.png (or LilPoly-AnaBG.png for L'il Poly-Ana), create these folders under your user folder, "/Users/(your_user name)/Library/Application Support/Admiral Quality/Poly-Ana/" and place the file there. Note that some newer versions of OS X hide this folder from you by default. You can reveal it by...

1. In Finder, chose the Go | Go To Folder menu option.
2. In the Go To Folder dialog type ~/Library.
3. Click Go.

Alternately, you can permanently reveal your user Library folder by entering "chflags nohidden ~/Library" into a Terminal window.

Here's a couple of alternate background colors for L'il Poly-Ana...

http://www.admiralquality.com/products/ ... G_purp.png

http://www.admiralquality.com/products/ ... _green.png

Happy New Year everyone!

Are the holidays over? Is it safe to come out now? Good, let's have a little Holiday from the Holidays sale to celebrate. I hereby declare all Admiral Quality products to be 25% off until month-end! They're all free to try, you can even save and recall your work! So if you haven't tried them, now's the time. And if you have tried them, want them, but have been waiting for a sale, here you go.

Until Jan 31, 2015, all Admiral Quality products are 25% off! Poly-Ana, our flagship VA soft-synth, regular $179.95 is $134.96. L'il Poly-Ana, the "Lite" preset player version, regular $95.95 is $71.96 USD. And our envelope following and LFO filter effect, SCAMP, regular $69.95 is $52.46.

http://www.admiralquality.com/products/

Hey! What about ADT? :x :hihi:
A well-behaved signature.

JerGoertz wrote:Hey! What about ADT? :x :hihi:
Soon. We're back to work on new products now after years of struggling with all this platform-schism. One little effect coming first though. Then ADT.

Still love Poly-Ana! So rich and warm, with a bass presence that packs a wollop! :)
A well-behaved signature.

JerGoertz wrote:Still love Poly-Ana! So rich and warm, with a bass presence that packs a wollop! :)
Thanks Jer!

One week left in the 25% off sale, folks! Let us know if you have any questions.

Well, downloaded the demo and love the way it sounds. But that GUI is a nightmare on my 57 year old eyes. There is no way I could possibly use this for anything other than its presets. And since I mostly like to come up with my own sounds, this just isn't an option for me.

Shame. I really do love the way it sounds but I'll go blind trying to look at that thing with my eyes.

wagtunes wrote:Well, downloaded the demo and love the way it sounds. But that GUI is a nightmare on my 57 year old eyes. There is no way I could possibly use this for anything other than its presets. And since I mostly like to come up with my own sounds, this just isn't an option for me.

Shame. I really do love the way it sounds but I'll go blind trying to look at that thing with my eyes.
Have you tried changing the Modulation Source dials to dropdown menus? (Click on the product name to bring up the Options dialog.) Also, the tooltips make everything readable. Just roll over any control with the mouse to see its full name and current value in nice clear text.

Here's a bump for AQ.
The key file works just fine-
so no more yearly service holler.

I find this is comprehensive bread and butter VA,
gonna try and make it sound ugly hehe
Anyway, I'll surf more presets tonight, it comes with 4 banks.

--oh yeah,it took a whole of 3 minutes for the key file to fid it's way into my inbox after I asked for it,
Mike provides friendly and hasty support, thanks man!

nix808 wrote:Here's a bump for AQ.
The key file works just fine-
so no more yearly service holler.

I find this is comprehensive bread and butter VA,
gonna try and make it sound ugly hehe
Anyway, I'll surf more presets tonight, it comes with 4 banks.

--oh yeah,it took a whole of 3 minutes for the key file to fid it's way into my inbox after I asked for it,
Mike provides friendly and hasty support, thanks man!
Thank you nix!

Yep, customer service takes top priority. I usually drop everything (even if I'm not working) and handle them immediately.

Just to clear up nix's statement a bit, there was nothing about our old challenge/response system that required you to get a new key every year. But as the serial was machine-based, any time a customer upgraded hardware (or sometimes OS or boot drive) they needed to ask for new keys. Our new key-file system eliminated that, they'll work forever on any system. I actually will miss hearing from customers so often though because we tend to have nice conversations and it's great to hear what they think and any suggestions.

Also, regarding the new key files, I still haven't gotten around to sending out new keys to customers who haven't requested them (it's like work, and work that doesn't make new products) but it's also been turning out to be valuable market research -- giving us a sense of who's still "paying attention". So I'm probably going to keep it by request for a while, at least until I'm not so swamped with new development. (Wait for it! ;) )

If you haven't received your new key-file yet, just email us (sales@... ) and you'll probably get it a few minutes later. I do sleep from time to time though, so worst case it might take a few hours. Nobody's ever had to wait more than 24 hours for a customer support response from us. I'm very proud of that.

Looking forward to hearing your "ugly" sounds, Nix! One of the things that amazed me most was when Poly-Ana first hit the market and, after months of development time trying to make "nice" and "musical" patches for it, I started to get back scary, glitchy stuff that, while I knew it could do, I hadn't yet put any time into making. Check out the SFX: patches in Poly-Ana for some great examples. (Cosmus' scream!!! :o )

Our 25% off sale is going to end in a few more days. I'll give you an extra day, until the end of Sunday before I put it back to regular pricing.

Cheers everyone!

Just a few more hours to catch the end of our 25% off sale. We'll be returning to regular pricing on the 2nd (tomorrow).

http://www.admiralquality.com

Return to “Instruments”