Any Spectrasonics news?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Omnisphere 1

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: i bought a reaktor ensemble the other day
Your description of it sounds really interesting, was it one of the Twisted Tools ones? Sounds like it's going to be an interesting piece, I hope you put it up when it's done!

neverenoughfunk wrote:
BBFG# wrote:
neverenoughfunk wrote:
BBFG# wrote: Not ALL of you. but seemingly a great majority. I've often posited there is a cult-personality type. I don't think Eric ever tried to make it cult. It's just a large percentage of what we see here fits so easily into the stereotype. But there have been a small few here too that show it doesn't have to be.
And I'm hopeful there are even more that we never see on these sites that don't have that need to act cult-like either. As someone has mentioned , "at some point, it's not the tool, but the user". It merely begs the question of why so many of this type gravitate towards this tool in particular.
just curious... what is the "stereotype" for an individual debating if they want to join the cult... because it does appear that a large percentage of omnisphere users love it... which you refer to as a "cult"...
:tu:
I suggest reading Margaret Singer as a start...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Singer
Even some Ellis, Beck or Bufe (although they have a membership that is ironically quite cult like too).
My last year of study has been with Gregory Lester's work though. And in reading Karl Popper as a side.
"you" are the stereotype of a individual debating whether to purchase omnisphere... dont you realize that?

you have 4350 posts in less than 2 years... it appears like you want to come across as an authority on so many subjects... especially... with "NO" experience with many of the subject matters...

you know if you purchase omnisphere... you will be looked upon as a cult-member... right? maybe?
BBFG has a sales background in this sort of stuff so I can see why he says that.
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

noiseboyuk wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:you keep missing the fact that i have been a happy spectrasonics user for many years, and am very well versed in the positives you have listed. in fact, the features i was most excited about were the new browser features

just, for me, it was never even close to being fully explored as it was. the easy method of combining soundsources, tweaking, then randomising with the orb meant i never even considered buying 3rd party soundsets. it was always fresh. all i am suggesting i that the option be there for people to choose which sounds they pay for.

i also think that there needs to be more concession given to loyal users. why am i being asked to pay $249 when retail price has only risen by $100. if omni 1 was worth every cent and, by your contention, the upgrade is worth the $249, then why the discrepancy ??
Well, I wasn't aiming the post at you or your position, it was addressing the claimed issue that it was boring to mention number of patches, and why patches are important.

I did write another post about exactly your position - I have some sympathy with it, but it goes against what Omnisphere is. The clue is in the name - Omni. You buy it, you get the lot. If you choose not to use all of it, then c'est la vie. If they broke it up into expansions and constituent parts, you'd likely irritate the typical user (I'd class myself as one) who really appreciates the way Spectrasonics does stuff. They don't do sales, you pay once, you get the lot and free upgrades (often massive ones) for years. That's the Spectrasonics deal, and it's what I've bought into. It's proven its worth to me endlessly.

I also made the point that the developers who do go down the expansion route (ReFx, Camel God rest it's soul) invariably are considerably more expensive when you add up all the parts than Spectrasonics. It's naive to assume they could chop up Omnisphere 2 into 4 parts and charge a 1/4 for each. Alchemy's full range was about $800 I think, Nexus is $3,000. And you can barely edit Nexus. And it's browser really is atrocious.

Maybe they'll one day release a version of Omni without soundsources, another with no presets, another with just EDM and so on, but I doubt it. Better to get the most out of all it offers. I take your point that you say you have more than enough without presets, but you're missing a lot by excluding them. Even if you just try the lock feature, I'd be amazed if it doesn't turn up some cool, fast and new ways to make original sounds for you. It's fun to work in different ways - I mean, sometimes I even program something from scratch. Just for laughs.

As for this bizarre notion that "loyal" users are being penalised - total hogwash. (I don't use that word enough - what a great word it is. Roll it round your mouth. Hogwash). I've had years of use of Omni 1, in my case it's directly contributed to my income many times over what I paid for it. I'd rather pay $250 (or a paltry $199 in my case) for this update than 4x this amount for any other synth with its monotinbral crappy browser. And I'm very happy to do so - I've got years of use out of their products, I WANT to pay them so they can build me a shiny new Stylus replacement in 6 months. I feel they've given me so much free stuff over the years that I never expected, the least I can do is give them a bit of cash for something brilliant and new they worked on for years.

But what about those newbs getting it now for less that I'll have paid? More fool them, I've been having fun for years with Spectrasonics stuff whole they've been languishing in the straw and filth. I mean... finally, right? Oh well, glad they're finally catching up - they're not gonna know what hit 'em.
you just keep making the case that the value is there for you, something i am sure that is made easier by having used it in a profession capacity.

i have also had great value from it, but none of that matters now i am being asked for a $249 upgrade when their product price doesn't follow the same value.

as for no sales ?? i got an email today from jrrshop telling me i could buy omni now and get a free update. if that's not an intro/sale price, then what is it ?? grace period is for when someone has paid for something without knowledge that a short period later, they will need to pay more. it's a great concession. but this changed from a grace period, to a buy now, get something free deal. and yet, i have no choice but to wait it out and pay way more, no matter how long i have been a customer. it is not really any argument to say that i have had the joy of using it for so long, so i should be happy to pay more :roll: loyalty tends to get compensated, maybe that's all going to change

Codestation wrote:
Your description of it sounds really interesting, was it one of the Twisted Tools ones? Sounds like it's going to be an interesting piece, I hope you put it up when it's done!
haha, bingo :tu: i bought 'scapes' . had been thinking of wading into different sonic waters for the upcoming 'rpm challenge', but had worried that it might be a bit out there for me. as soon as i hit this combo, none of that mattered

might record a little sample to post :wink:
Last edited by el-bo (formerly ebow) on Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neverenoughfunk wrote: "you" are the stereotype of a individual debating whether to purchase omnisphere... dont you realize that?
you have 4350 posts in less than 2 years... it appears like you want to come across as an authority on so many subjects... especially... with "NO" experience with many of the subject matters...
you know if you purchase omnisphere... you will be looked upon as a cult-member... right? maybe?
Oddly enough, I've been branded as atypical here, even by those debating whether or not to buy it.
I know you like to bring up post counts as something to discredit. But I do feel that it may only be appropriate in the reverse. It is the profile with only a handful of posts in many years that is far more suspect.
As far as my count, have you done any math on the annoying double and triple posts that sometimes occur? How many of those are nothing more than 'bumps' in the market place ? I dare saw you won't even find many of those posts, simply because it was during a holiday season and forum site pre-updating with many off topic posts coming from a great deal of us having a bit of fun, knowing they were scheduled for deletion. (but the count remains).
Content is far more important than count. And you have only chosen a small cross section of what that content is.

BTW, according to my last "Briggs-Myers", my 'type' occurs in less than .05% of the population. So granted, there are probably around 350 million like me in the world. :)
Last edited by BBFG# on Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trimph1 wrote:[

BBFG has a sales background in this sort of stuff so I can see why he says that.
sales associate at Guitar Center counts?

it that is the case... that is exactly what "i" am talking about!!!

neverenoughfunk wrote:
trimph1 wrote:[
sales associate at Guitar Center counts?
it that is the case... that is exactly what "i" am talking about!!!
Never a GC. And I was the manager at more than one.

But along those lines, I would suggest a book called "The Closers" for every shopper that wants to be well informed of the psychology they fall to.

add: I also have a a pretty extensive background in psychology, philosophy and even some anthropological theologies. And am an electrician as well.

Codestation wrote:
here's just a little jam on the sound. excuse the playing :oops:

https://soundcloud.com/el-bo/scapes-bass-test

Thanks for posting that, it is really cool, and the bass sounds great!

I dunno, there's a lot to be said for sticking to one instrument, and limiting your options in an attempt to force creativity. There have been times when I needed that. But having more options might offer the possibility of increasing one's chances of using a combination no one else will use in even a remotely similar way. That's why I jump from tool to tool, learn more here, more there, experiment. Mangling sounds is so much fun

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:you just keep making the case that the value is there for you, something i am sure that is made easier by having used it in a profession capacity.

i have also had great value from it, but none of that matters now i am being asked for a $249 upgrade when their product price doesn't follow the same value.

as for no sales ?? i got an email today from jrrshop telling me i could buy omni now and get a free update. if that's not an intro/sale price, then what is it ?? grace period is for when someone has paid for something without knowledge that a short period later, they will need to pay more. it's a great concession. but this changed from a grace period, to a buy now, get something free deal. and yet, i have no choice but to wait it out and pay way more, no matter how long i have been a customer. it is not really any argument to say that i have had the joy of using it for so long, so i should be happy to pay more :roll: loyalty tends to get compensated, maybe that's all going to change
So... er... You've had great value from it but none of that now matters?

Again, hogwash. Hogwash, I say!

RRP for Omni 1 was $499. If you don't own the other products, upgrade here is half that, even more if you do. For which you get another 16gb of soundsources, new forms of synthesis, a new browser... I could (and usually do) go on.

Can't remember how many patches were in Omni 1.0 - 700 I think. And there was no Orb, no granular, (harmonia and unison too maybe, can't be sure). All that other good stuff was added for free, by contrast the launch product might look a little threadbare by comparison to what we use today, for twice the price of this new upgrade.

But sadly things in this life cannot be free for all eternity. At some point, someone needs paying. This seems like a good time for that, being as the company hasn't released a product in FIVE YEARS that they took any money from. And I've no doubt whatsoever that more goodies will come - for free - for Omni 2 users for months and probably years, just as they have done for Omni 1. That's the Spectrasonics way, and I love it. You don't, it seems. If for some reason you think none of this new stuff is worth paying for and have no interest in the future goodies - by all means, stick where you are cos Omni 1 is awesome. If you feel slighted in some way, penalised for having used something you think is great having been supported with years of free, often ginormous upgrades, and feel entitled to heavier discounts for a reason I can't really grasp (I feel my loyalty has been amply rewarded many times over already and it's time for a little payback on my side) then by all means do sulk in the corner.

And no, the current deal for new users is not a sale. It's a way to keep people buying for 3 months rather than a retail desert. If retailers are doing any form of discount now then I'd encourage everyone to snap it up, but I doubt you'll find the prices any different today than May 1st, for what will be the exact same product. Same price = not a sale.

Well, I think this particular fun little to-and-fro has probably run its course. You feel slighted at not being given a bigger discount and / or a cut down version, I'm cock-a-hoop at finally being months away from what I consider a dirt cheap, massively expanded version of the best synth in the world from a company that's always treated me extremely well. Different strokes and all that.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Codestation wrote:

i never got scapes to run, i wanted just to import a sample and mangle it, it didnt work i dunno and if something is so fiddly i loose interest asap :(
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

noiseboyuk wrote:So... er... You've had great value from it but none of that now matters?

i've made it very clear that i have had good value

now, again....why am i, an almost 8-year loyal customer, being asked to pay $249 when those exact same features are being given away to new customers with only a slight price hike ?? or free
Last edited by el-bo (formerly ebow) on Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Codestation wrote:Thanks for posting that, it is really cool, and the bass sounds great!

I dunno, there's a lot to be said for sticking to one instrument, and limiting your options in an attempt to force creativity. There have been times when I needed that. But having more options might offer the possibility of increasing one's chances of using a combination no one else will use in even a remotely similar way. That's why I jump from tool to tool, learn more here, more there, experiment. Mangling sounds is so much fun

i am not sticking to one tool, and that's my point. i have so many tools for creating sounds, and that's before i start with effects. if anything, i could do with options being removed. really, i am already overwhelmed by decision-paralysis. more options is the last thing i need.

am i really the only one who thinks too many options can be a curse, rather than a blessing ??

noiseboyuk wrote:So... er... You've had great value from it but none of that now matters?

i've made it very clear that i have had good value

now, again....why am i, an almost 8-year loyal customer, being asked to pay $249 when those exact same features are being given away to new customers with only a slight price hike ?? or free
It seems a little pointless to answer a third time, my thumbs ache. All the best to you, though.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Caine123 wrote:
Codestation wrote:

i never got scapes to run, i wanted just to import a sample and mangle it, it didnt work i dunno and if something is so fiddly i loose interest asap :(
i hear ya. i sometimes get like that, especially with reaktor ensembles. but at least the twisted tools stuff comes with proper documentation :tu:

also :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qasH_Vjwpm0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXAkcKduHBE

Return to “Instruments”