AIR Instruments Hybrid 3 - WOW! Why isn't vsti talked about more?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hybrid 3

Hybrid used to be available only for Pro Tools,
and cost an arm and a leg.
I think it kicks the proverbial-
really characterful in a futuristic and plastic sort of way

Hybrid 3 is my favorite synth by far. Its ease of use and sound quality is incredible.

I just picked up the AIR Complete Bundle on sale and I can't believe how awesome it is. Absolute no-brainer, worth so much more than I paid :)

Teksonik wrote:
nix808 wrote:We can get a hoover out of Vacuum, we'd be using AIR

hehe
This is true. :hihi:

So to recap....Despite what people who never have anything nice to say about anything and have hence lost any credibility, Hybrid 3 is a nice synth that is not at all CPU intensive unless you are still using a Pentium 3 and is certainly worth the $15 sales price if you don't mind the iLok License Manager that doesn't require a hardware Dongle. :wink:
I hope you are not talking about me, because I have said positive things about Hybrid 3 (I even wrote a lengthy review last year), and other plugins as well. Really, I don't know where your odd view comes from that one can't say negative things about plugins. I see both the good and the bad in plugins. That actually makes me more credible than all those ridiculous fanboys on KVR.
Thing is, they are all just plugins, and mediocre at that, some more, some less. On a scale from 1 to 10, I don't know any synth, yet, that I could give more than 8 points max. In other words, even with the stuff I do like and use, there are always things I don't like. And those are the ones, which for some reason you focus on and then accuse me of such nonsense as above.

Regarding CPU usage, yes, I do use an older processor. So what? The minimum requirement for Hybrid 3 for instance is "Dual Core 2GHz" according to their site. And since I am certainly not the only one using an older and/or AMD processor, CPU usage does matter not only to me.
Hybrid 3 in particular uses about 3x as much CPU as Sylenth1 for instance. I don't know why that is, but It is very obvious from both my DAW's and Window's CPU load indicators. I am not saying it is as bad as Diva or Lush, but Hybrid 3 is not nearly as efficient on my system as for instance Sylenth1 is.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Regarding CPU usage, yes, I do use an older processor. So what?
So you need to disclose that fact when you make statements like:
fluffy_little_something wrote:I rarely use both layers as H3 uses quite some CPU for the sound quality it delivers.
People who read that may be turned away from Hybrid without even trying it if they don't know that "uses quite some CPU" only applies to ancient Processors.

Like I said I can push Hybrid to it's max and barely break 2% and my CPU is three or four years old.
fluffy_little_something wrote:Thing is, they are all just plugins, and mediocre at that, some more, some less. On a scale from 1 to 10, I don't know any synth, yet, that I could give more than 8 points max.
So why are you even here if all plugins are mediocre ? There is absolutely nothing wrong with saying something bad about any plugin but when 90% of what you say is just complaining then you just end up sounding like a bitch. :lol:

If you're being honest with yourself you have to admit you do far more bitching about things than you do giving praise. I don't give any validity to your opinions any longer and would suggest others especially those who are new to the scene to take what you say with a grain of salt.

Anyway I'll say it again, for $15 Hybrid is an absolute steal. :wink:

Oh and make sure to check out the 90 or so Wavetables available from the drop down in the Wavetable Osc. Lots of cool stuff in there. Also check out the Phrase Import as well. You can create Midi Files and import them into the Sequencers. Opens up a lot of possibilities. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

rlared wrote:Hybrid 3 is my favorite synth by far. Its ease of use and sound quality is incredible.

I just picked up the AIR Complete Bundle on sale and I can't believe how awesome it is. Absolute no-brainer, worth so much more than I paid :)
I am a huge fan of the Air Music plugins as well. Beside Hybrid I also own Loom, Vacuum Pro, XPand!2 and Transfuser. All great instruments. :hyper:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:
rlared wrote:Hybrid 3 is my favorite synth by far. Its ease of use and sound quality is incredible.

I am a huge fan of the Air Music plugins as well. Beside Hybrid I also own Loom, Vacuum Pro, XPand!2 and Transfuser. All great instruments. :hyper:
I like them too, Hybrid 3 is probably my favorite of theirs. It would be nice if they made the displays resizable.

So, obviously it is optimized for Intel processors and it has nothing to do with ancient or not. My processor is just 3 years older than yours.

Well, although I think plugins are just mediocre, I don't have an alternative as I don't want to spend thousands of euros on hardware. So, I am interested in plugins, specifically in finding the best of those mediocre virtual gadgets :hihi:

Indeed, from a modern plugin I expect a lot, I take certain things for granted, i.e. I focus on the deficits. It's like with planes: you won't hear people applaud successful flights as they are taken for granted, you will hear of crashed planes, though.

To give you an idea, one sustained note of #36 Defluxer in the Wobbles category for instance uses about 35% on my computer.

I run a 4th generation Intel I5 and Hybrid 3 uses very little CPU power. All of AIR's plugins run like a dream on my machine.

fluffy_little_something wrote:...Indeed, from a modern plugin I expect a lot, I take certain things for granted, i.e. I focus on the deficits. It's like with planes: you won't hear people applaud successful flights as they are taken for granted, you will hear of crashed planes, though.
Never heard somebody making music with a plane.
Well, surely with the sound they produce though.

I really like this synth.

A tip for user...the envelopes are a bit hard to control with the mouse alone. The CTRL button does slow down the increments but I like to stick with the mouse. I am using X-mouse button control software to assign the CTRL button + left click simultaneously on my middle mouse button. It's super slick and smooth.

fluffy_little_something wrote:To give you an idea, one sustained note of #36 Defluxer in the Wobbles category for instance uses about 35% on my computer.
Yeah, that one sucks down the juice. I'm running an iMac with a 3.4 GHz i7 processor, 24 GB of RAM, and with buffer set to 128 that particular patch uses around 20% of my CPU, according to Logic's CPU meter. Dang! Of course it would be much lower when in the mixing phase, as I set my buffer to 1024 then.
Running Logic Pro 10.4 under Sierra on a late 2012 27" iMac wth 24 GB RAM :tu:

fluffy_little_something wrote:So, obviously it is optimized for Intel processors and it has nothing to do with ancient or not. My processor is just 3 years older than yours.
You realize it's not the age that matters but the speed right ? Two CPUs from the same year will yield totally different results if one is a 2.3 GHz and the other is a 3.5 GHz...... :wink:

Just tested "Defluxer". Ranges between 1.6% and 1.9% with an occasional spike to 2.0%

You should upgrade your CPU and while you're at it take Wagtunes shopping with you so he can get a new monitor. :hihi:

Teksonik wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Regarding CPU usage, yes, I do use an older processor. So what?
So you need to disclose that fact when you make statements like:
fluffy_little_something wrote:I rarely use both layers as H3 uses quite some CPU for the sound quality it delivers.
People who read that may be turned away from Hybrid without even trying it if they don't know that "uses quite some CPU" only applies to ancient Processors.

Like I said I can push Hybrid to it's max and barely break 2% and my CPU is three or four years old.
fluffy_little_something wrote:Thing is, they are all just plugins, and mediocre at that, some more, some less. On a scale from 1 to 10, I don't know any synth, yet, that I could give more than 8 points max.
So why are you even here if all plugins are mediocre ? There is absolutely nothing wrong with saying something bad about any plugin but when 90% of what you say is just complaining then you just end up sounding like a bitch. :lol:

If you're being honest with yourself you have to admit you do far more bitching about things than you do giving praise. I don't give any validity to your opinions any longer and would suggest others especially those who are new to the scene to take what you say with a grain of salt.

Anyway I'll say it again, for $15 Hybrid is an absolute steal. :wink:

Oh and make sure to check out the 90 or so Wavetables available from the drop down in the Wavetable Osc. Lots of cool stuff in there. Also check out the Phrase Import as well. You can create Midi Files and import them into the Sequencers. Opens up a lot of possibilities. :tu:
This is why I have FLS on ignore. All he does is complain. I've yet to hear him say anything good about any synth.

About Hybrid. I had a bad experience with Loom. It was the beta for the latest release and it crashed Cubase so badly (the error messages were something to see) that the only AIR product I've purchased since was Xpand2 when they had the $1 sale. And even then I was holding my breath hoping I wouldn't have to reinstall Cubase again. Fortunately, it works fine and was a dollar well spent.

Anyway, back to Hybrid. As this is an old synth, is the GUI of the Arturia V collection variety (before they finally updated them) or is it a decent size? Just curious in case I get up the guts to download the demo and try it out.

Hey 8D
Here it is at 1920 x 1080->

Return to “Instruments”