AIR Instruments Hybrid 3 - WOW! Why isn't vsti talked about more?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hybrid 3

nix808 wrote:Hey 8D
Here it is at 1920 x 1080->
Seems a bit on the small side.

It's perfectly functional here. Now that you have the iLok License Manager installed for XPand!2 it shouldn't be any problem downloading the Hybrid Demo. For the price of a pizza Hybrid is a steal. It's deceptively deep and a lot of fun to program. With this sale going on I imagine there will be a lot of new Hybrid users and than means a larger market for soundsets........ :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:It's perfectly functional here. Now that you have the iLok License Manager installed for XPand!2 it shouldn't be any problem downloading the Hybrid Demo. For the price of a pizza Hybrid is a steal. It's deceptively deep and a lot of fun to program. With this sale going on I imagine there will be a lot of new Hybrid users and than means a larger market for soundsets........ :wink:
Well, I went to Youtube last night, listened to some demos. Wasn't totally blown away by it (though that's hard to do today) but it does sound decent and at that price certainly worth it. But then we get back to that GUI size.

Yeah, I know...get a new monitor.

Not happening.

I'll pass on this one as well.

wagtunes wrote:
This is why I have FLS on ignore. All he does is complain. I've yet to hear him say anything good about any synth.
I don't agree. He is not what I call an easy going guy, but he is sincere when criticising something or someone. The thing is he's a perfectionist (which I'm not) and that make us not agree on some topics. I understand his opinion as he has some points that I agree with, but not the cpu usage. I did however, bought Sylenth1 because of him! I still think it was a very good decision ;)

Anyway, I like Hybrid but I don't have it installed anymore, not because of Air really, but because of iLok. I don't want to install iLok protection for some reason (not technical). Hybrid for me is a soft synth. I mean 'soft' not 'edgy' or 'sharp'. It has its uses, but I prefer other subtractive/wavetable synths. I remember that I bought a 'Black Bundle' or something similar in name then upgraded to AIEP 2, which all together was about $180. So, for this silly price ($15), it is a no brainer especially if someone doesn't have many wavetable synths.

yul wrote:I really like this synth.
A tip for user...the envelopes are a bit hard to control with the mouse alone. The CTRL button does slow down the increments but I like to stick with the mouse. I am using X-mouse button control software to assign the CTRL button + left click simultaneously on my middle mouse button. It's super slick and smooth.
Yes, AiR plugins are a real PITA for that reason. Hybrid 3 has quite large GUI in fact, try Loom :dog:

Also, I didn't post this track in this thread yet... 80% Hybrid 3 with Xpand 2 instruments and some little details from other synths.
https://soundcloud.com/djwarmonger/andy ... ger-remix2
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Teksonik wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:So, obviously it is optimized for Intel processors and it has nothing to do with ancient or not. My processor is just 3 years older than yours.
You realize it's not the age that matters but the speed right ? Two CPUs from the same year will yield totally different results if one is a 2.3 GHz and the other is a 3.5 GHz...... :wink:

Just tested "Defluxer". Ranges between 1.6% and 1.9% with an occasional spike to 2.0%

You should upgrade your CPU and while you're at it take Wagtunes shopping with you so he can get a new monitor. :hihi:
Not really. The speed of my AMD chip is ok, 3.3, turbo 3.7.
I assume there are other things about that chip that make it perform miserably with some plugins, while not with others.
And as you can see from the other poster, he was an i7 processor and the patch mentioned uses 10x as much CPU power as on your computer.
Seems there are several factors playing a role, but I am not a developer, so I don't know the details.

Nah, sorry, I won't take wag shopping with me, he doesn't seem to be the kind of person I would get along with, to put it mildly :P

EnGee wrote:I don't agree. He is not what I call an easy going guy, but he is sincere when criticising something or someone. The thing is he's a perfectionist (which I'm not) and that make us not agree on some topics. I understand his opinion as he has some points that I agree with, but not the cpu usage. I did however, bought Sylenth1 because of him! I still think it was a very good decision ;)
Thanks. You bought Sylenth1 because of me?! What did I say?! 8) At least you like it, else I would feel bad now :hihi:

fluffy_little_something wrote:
EnGee wrote:I don't agree. He is not what I call an easy going guy, but he is sincere when criticising something or someone. The thing is he's a perfectionist (which I'm not) and that make us not agree on some topics. I understand his opinion as he has some points that I agree with, but not the cpu usage. I did however, bought Sylenth1 because of him! I still think it was a very good decision ;)
Thanks. You bought Sylenth1 because of me?! What did I say?! 8) At least you like it, else I would feel bad now :hihi:
You posted a very nice pad that surprised me in a very good way. From that time I began to hunt it till I got it. Anyway, we then stood on the opposite sides after you sold your license and took Hybrid as a better alteranative :hihi:

Sorry for the off topic. Let's get back to Hybrid. To be honest I don't like the pricing and the marketing plan for Air products. They keep devaluing their products which is pity. IMO, they should improve their synths with new versions and sell them at reasonable prices.

Bit confused about the pricing for this, as I had a copy installed but never actually remembered buying it !

So after a while of thinking back I remembered:

It's $150 as a download from their site or ......
Buy an MPK Mini II USB keyboard for $99 (or less) anywhere and get a free copy of Hybrid 3 and Sonivox Wobble 2 (which is what I did about 18 months ago)

Erm ?!

EnGee wrote:You posted a very nice pad that surprised me in a very good way. From that time I began to hunt it till I got it. Anyway, we then stood on the opposite sides after you sold your license and took Hybrid as a better alteranative :hihi:
Oh ok :) Yes, for some time I thought I might be able to use H3 as my one and only synth (that would be ideal, I hate using several plugins), but at the end of the day I use both now as they sound rather different and each has its strengths. There is something about Sylenth that Hybrid just can't replace. Actually, I am using Xpand more often than Hybrid these days, but at least it stays in the family :hihi:

Sure :hihi:

wagtunes wrote:
Teksonik wrote:It's perfectly functional here. Now that you have the iLok License Manager installed for XPand!2 it shouldn't be any problem downloading the Hybrid Demo. For the price of a pizza Hybrid is a steal. It's deceptively deep and a lot of fun to program. With this sale going on I imagine there will be a lot of new Hybrid users and than means a larger market for soundsets........ :wink:
Well, I went to Youtube last night, listened to some demos. Wasn't totally blown away by it (though that's hard to do today) but it does sound decent and at that price certainly worth it. But then we get back to that GUI size.

Yeah, I know...get a new monitor.

Not happening.

I'll pass on this one as well.
At least try the demo to see if you can work with Hybrid. It needs some soundsets and it could pay for itself with one patch bank sale......... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Hybrid 3,although decent and interesting...in terms of being unique,as it is unlike anything else that I have in my arsenal...well..there is definitely room for improvement,with it.
First of all,it's marketed as being a virtual analog,but based on most of it's factory presets...it lacks the warmth and depth of a true analog emulation(perhaps in part,due to the lackluster programming)...but I suspect that the filters in H3 are to blame as well.

As a modern sounding synth that seems to be primarily designed for EDM,H3 does this well and in terms of effects,H3 is a treasure trove of effects and in my opinion,the best feature of this VST.
I bought it as part of a bundle pack years ago,so sound-wise,I have no complaints with H3.However...in the past,I've had issues with certain presets(arpeggio pads)...whereby I ran into issues during playback,as the arpeggio in the pad was not there,but the rest of the sound in the preset existed.
I haven't had that problem recently...but the other day,I ran into another problem with H3.A couple of days ago,I received an e-mail from AirMusicTech,notifying me of a series of free expansions for their Hybrid 3 and Loom synths.Having never added any new presets to Hybrid or Loom,I assumed that I could add the expansion sets,by simply clicking on the folder icon in the upper right corner of the H3 GUI...but as I found out,that was not possible.
I then contacted AIR's support and they sent me instructions on how to add the expansions,which was blatantly simple to do(via C: > Program Files (x86) > AIR Music Technology > [Product Name] > Presets.)

However...after having done that,the expansions did not appear in the drop down menu.I then called support again and I was told the expansions should be located at the bottom of the list(under the Default heading)...which it was not;

I contacted support once again(earlier today) and explained my situation and the support agent suggested that I create a new folder and merge all of the expansion files into this one folder(which didn't make any sense to me)...but I followed his instructions and to no surprise,that didn't help matters.
I then suggested to the agent,that we do a remote PC access session,so that he could take a look into my computer,to help troubleshoot the problem...but I have to wait until Monday for that to happen.

Ever since I've own this bundle pack,I have found Vacuum Pro the most inspiring and useful synth,but haven't touched Hybrid 3 and Loom all that much and now,& I have yet another reason to just neglect H3 even more. :?

AlesisVi61 wrote:A couple of days ago,I received an e-mail from AirMusicTech,notifying me of a series of free expansions for their Hybrid 3 and Loom synths.Having never added any new presets to Hybrid or Loom,I assumed that I could add the expansion sets,by simply clicking on the folder icon in the upper right corner of the H3 GUI...but as I found out,that was not possible.
I then contacted AIR's support and they sent me instructions on how to add the expansions,which was blatantly simple to do(via C: > Program Files (x86) > AIR Music Technology > [Product Name] > Presets.)

However...after having done that,the expansions did not appear in the drop down menu.I then called support again and I was told the expansions should be located at the bottom of the list(under the Default heading)...which it was not;
Did you check the directory to see if the presets you actually "see" are there? Because the preset location varies according to installations, and it maybe the case that the presets folder is not where the guy from AIR pointed you to.

I have my PC doing a backup right now (which will take all night) but i will check tomorrow to see exactly where the presets are, and try to install the new ones (yes I received that e-mail to, and downloaded the files, but didn't install them yet).
Fernando (FMR)

Just use the button "Save" (middle top of Hybrid), and now you know where the presets are stored on your computer (well actually you land in the User folder, but just go up once to the Presets folder). That's where I copied the new free expansions folders, and it worked. ;)
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

Return to “Instruments”