'OverBridge' for Electron- VST type Control of Analog Hardware Synths

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The Dissonance wrote:biggest let down ever... :roll: :clap:
Shouldn't you put an exclamation point and a question mark after that just to be sure?
Sweet child in time...

SLiC wrote:
Numanoid wrote:
SLiC wrote:This is Electrons press release...

Real analog VST- For the first time in history, seamless computer integration of analog synthesizers and drum machines is a reality. Enjoy a true breakthrough.
It's a promo/press release, not the best source for the whole "truth"

Would be like: "They wrote it in the newspaper, it must be true"
You seem to have just taken part of the post, the second part is asking who else has done this with an analog synth- it either is or isn't the first, just waiting for someone to tell me if it is or isn't true, as I thought it was groundbreaking to put analog synths as a VST (bidirectional audio and sync, not midi control of an analogue module)

Ignoring the fact that the analogue is converted to digital (as it would be if I recorded from the analogue outputs to my DAW) if the VST just works like any VST, but the sound is better as it derives from real (not emulated) analogue hardware, woulnt tbat be new, or has it been done with one USB cable?
it won't work 'just like' any VST, because VSTs can render faster than recording in real-time. So don't get it twisted - it's a VST editor, not a VST proper.

sounding 'better' is entirely subjective, not to mention it will only sound as good as the built in a/d converter. They hype the sound benefits of analogue in the marketing copy, and I agree...analogue generally sounds lovely. But then, that's why I bought the best a/d converter I can afford - to best capture the analogue loveliness of my analogue gear. Sorry, but for a/d duties I'll stick to dedicated soundcards researched and manufactured by companies whose main, if not only, focus is just that task.

It is not just a VST editor, it sends and returns audio to analog hardware for processing in real time,you tweak a VST knob, it tweaks analog hardware and you hear/record real analog sound in the DAW without needing a sound card. All over 1 USB cable- That's not a VST editor. Also I would have thought analog was faster at making sound than DSP algorithms, but I don't know, I just assumed VSTs would have more processing time, not less.

I find analogue emulating VST like diva and lush 101 use a lot of processing at the highest quality, I would rather use real analog with the conviniance of a VST, I have tried recording at 96k with my RME interface, I can't tell the difference between that and 24bit 48k (I believe that is what overbridge will use). I am sure others can in an audiophile test, not me, not in the mix, and certainly not after dithering down - so I am OK using overbridge to get analog into my system, as currently the A4 only has a stereo out, and overbridge will let me process individual tracks (individual analog output per track to DAW). RYTM has individual analog out for the 8 voices, but that takes 8 ins on my desk...I will do an A/B comparison obviusly, but if the spund is as good, I get 8 in puts/channels back and can use my VST effects on RYTM and process audio tracks through RYTM analog distortion etc.

FYI, over at the electronoughts (election user) forum beta testers are claiming they have AB tested overbridge analog to audio to RME (babyface) and couldn't tell the difference...which to me sounds promising...
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

you're right, it's not just a vst editor. it's a vst editor and a soundcard. my bad.

Daags wrote:it's a vst editor and a soundcard.
Basicly yes + a midi interface. It can also work alongside other soundcards, even on asio, cause it seems to ve its own protocol running.
Since it can send audio back and forth, you can use it as filterbank or efx box (atleast on the a4/ak , not sure about the rytm) aswell inside your daw.
Last edited by whet on Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

double post delete pls

pdxindy wrote:
UltraJv wrote:
SLiC wrote:For everyone saying not revolutionary- show me another piece of hardware that I can plug (multiple) analogue devices in to my PC based DAW via USB and stream audio/sync without switching to that device as the primary driver for my DAW (loosing all my other inputs, monitor speakers etc.) - Who has done this before?

You make it sound like a cure all - its only going to be good for the Elektron hardware. Its a paid for bug fix with a few new features. Other USB units have had free fixes for sync/timing problems. You still have no idea how well it will work. I didn't see any mention of cost ether.
huh? It's not a bug fix... it is totally new functionality for the A4. AK and Rytm... and it is free
Free? so they are giving the soundcard away? Its both software and hardware.

UltraJv wrote: Free? so they are giving the soundcard away? Its both software and hardware.
No, its all allrdy inside those boxes since 2012, they just starting to use it to its full potential, so it will be just an OS upgrade.

UltraJv wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
UltraJv wrote:
SLiC wrote:For everyone saying not revolutionary- show me another piece of hardware that I can plug (multiple) analogue devices in to my PC based DAW via USB and stream audio/sync without switching to that device as the primary driver for my DAW (loosing all my other inputs, monitor speakers etc.) - Who has done this before?

You make it sound like a cure all - its only going to be good for the Elektron hardware. Its a paid for bug fix with a few new features. Other USB units have had free fixes for sync/timing problems. You still have no idea how well it will work. I didn't see any mention of cost ether.
huh? It's not a bug fix... it is totally new functionality for the A4. AK and Rytm... and it is free
The A4, Analog Keys and Analog Rhythm always had the sound card included in the hardware. They just weren't advertised nor utilized until the release of the free Overbridge.

edit: Whet beat me to it.

donato wrote:
UltraJv wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
UltraJv wrote:

The A4, Analog Keys and Analog Rhythm always had the sound card included in the hardware. They just weren't advertised nor utilized until the release of the free Overbridge.
So why are people suddenly talking about it as if its new hardware? that hasn't been tested before. This so confusing. Im starting to get it, its even more tied to the Elektron units than I thought.
Last edited by UltraJv on Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

UltraJv wrote:
donato wrote:
UltraJv wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
UltraJv wrote:

So why are people suddenly talking about it as if its new hardware? that hasn't been tested before. This so confusing.
It's new features related to the existing hardware and software integration. Watch the videos to see what this is about would be my suggestion.

I looked at the video, its completely tied to Elektron hardware. Disappointing.

UltraJv wrote:I looked at the video, its completely tied to Elektron hardware. Disappointing.
Ah well, the topic is abit misleading tbh, should also be in the hardware section too i guess.
For existing owners its pretty nice progress on the elektron analog line. The a4 was released in 2012 as a 4x mono synth, became polysynth that can save over 4000 patches one year later and now overbridge, all for free :) .

Daags wrote:you're right, it's not just a vst editor. it's a vst editor and a soundcard. my bad.
and a sync controller too... Overbridge is using their own sync function (not via midi) and it purports to be really solid which is no easy thing... judging from the messe video, the sync is looking promising.

Return to “Instruments”