One Synth Challenge #81: Oxe FM (z.prime wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Oxe FM Synth

I'm not very happy with my last month voting result. I've got a request s to go more "mainstream" with the percussions. 8) I think I did, but I'm not sure about the whole track. :help:
Any suggestions are welcome.

https://soundcloud.com/mtle-1/oxefm-preview-mindwalk-11

Edit: Track Removed
Last edited by MTLE on Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yes, tip #1: Tune everything properly. I think, this will monumentally boost your tracks, if you manage to decide for a key (tonic) to rule your piece and then pay attention to all tonal sounds to work actively inside that key. You have this odd wobble bass next to the highly tonal kick drum, both of which utterly ignore what ever the rest of the music is doing.
Bring all that stuff together! Try it! You can even let the bass follow a so-called harmony progression, accompanying it "correctly", if you wished for such a thing. Most important, though, all the sounds really want to belong to each other or at least belong to the same song playing at the time :hihi:, it will make a MASSIVE difference.

The other thing I noticed on tracks like that is they benefit from some dynamics, such as a different or quieter kick in the beginning, which will then get replaced by a stronger kick to indicate full steam ahead, you know! Overall dynamics, which will give the song structure and drive.

By the way: "Conventional" doesn't necessarily mean techno/house-metronome kicks, but simply an accent repetition in rhythm that one can relate to. But "house" isn't a bad style to play with! ;)

https://soundcloud.com/bblunt-productio ... osc-oxe-fm

KVR OSC Oxe FM Contest

Title: Feel Me

Synth: Oxe FM (x22)

DAW: Reaper v5.0rc14b x64

All factory presets tweaked

Plugins:
ReaComp
ReaXcomp
JS: WaveShaping Distortion
JS: Bass Manager/Booster
JS: 4x4 EQ
JS: Convolution Amp/Cab modeler
MWaveShaper
MEqualizer
MAutopan
MbandPass
MLimiter
Rhythm-Lab Twin Delay
Sanford Reverb
Voxengo SPAN
Blue Cat's FreqAnalyst
Variety Of Sound TesslaSE
Terry West CS12m
A1 Stereo Control

Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/fairplay/fairplay-duboxecation

19 x Oxe FM Synth
15 x ReaEQ
10 x ReaComp
9 x AXP CharBooster
5 x ReaDelay
4 x ReaVerbate
1 x MDA Limiter
1 x RadVerb

TDR VOS SlickEQ, ReaXComp, LoudMax on Master

https://soundcloud.com/pylon-29259747/pylon-setsubun

Title - Setsubun

Produced in Sonor X3

Oxe FM x 19
Sonor Pro Channel EQ x 12
Sonitus Reverb x 1
Breverb x 1
Sonitus Delay x 1
Sonitus Compressor x 4
Classic compressor x 2
Marvel GEQ x 1
Loud Max x 1

NB - I'm hearing a "phasing" artifact on the open hihats. This is unintentional and not present on my original mix. I presume this is a result of Soundcloud's uploading compression or something.

PS - Any production/mix tips or suggestions from you more experienced chaps (or ladies, if there are any here :shrug:) are most welcome :tu:

Taron wrote:Yes, tip #1: Tune everything properly. I think, this will monumentally boost your tracks, if you manage to decide for a key (tonic) to rule your piece and then pay attention to all tonal sounds to work actively inside that key. You have this odd wobble bass next to the highly tonal kick drum, both of which utterly ignore what ever the rest of the music is doing.
Bring all that stuff together! Try it! You can even let the bass follow a so-called harmony progression, accompanying it "correctly", if you wished for such a thing. Most important, though, all the sounds really want to belong to each other or at least belong to the same song playing at the time :hihi:, it will make a MASSIVE difference.

The other thing I noticed on tracks like that is they benefit from some dynamics, such as a different or quieter kick in the beginning, which will then get replaced by a stronger kick to indicate full steam ahead, you know! Overall dynamics, which will give the song structure and drive.

By the way: "Conventional" doesn't necessarily mean techno/house-metronome kicks, but simply an accent repetition in rhythm that one can relate to. But "house" isn't a bad style to play with! ;)
Thanks Taron,
was busy this weekend with other tasks. I hope to find some time tomorrow to fix the song. Sometimes I intentionally try to add disharmonic or detuned things. Your right it doesn't really fit in this track. Maybe this is the reason that makes me insecure. But I couldn't really point it. :dog:

I'll try your dynamics suggestion, too. I did that on other tracks and was not always happy with the result. We'll see if it works this time. ;) I still work on the structure. It's not fully defined now.

I agree that "conventional" in not just 4/4 beats. I use this very often but play around with chaotic rhythms on hat, claps, snares, etc. I just tried to avoid this chaotic stuff to be a bit more "conventional" but hopefully not boring. :zzz:

Tracks should be up on the group now, some of them were sitting in the 'spam filter' thing

Hello everyone ... sorry about the "false start". Here is my track for this OSC A more conventional song this time, with a catchy melody (well I think so!), so get yer' feet tappin' and sing along ... :party:

DAW: Reaper 5.1

Track Details:
14 * OXe FM
14 * ReaEQ
3 * TAL Reverb Mk II
1 * NastyDLAMKII

Master track:
TDR VOS SlickEQ
Ferric TDS
Limiter No. 6

BPM at a gentle 85 and a pleasant DR 12 :clap:

I hope you enjoy this track with a little "Nod to Paris" with the little intro.

dB

https://soundcloud.com/doctorbob/doctor ... -fm-osc-81

FYI... what looks to be a hot update to the Nova67p: http://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-nova/

Good spot Z' :clap:

Sure to be seeing this in later OSC's methinks. :tu: Gonna see what it does on my track - the SlickEQ on is only doing a little, and quite subtle, EQ. :party:

dB

edit: will edit song a bit more :)
Last edited by Hanz Meyzer on Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

doctorbob wrote:Sure to be seeing this in later OSC's methinks. :tu: Gonna see what it does on my track - the SlickEQ on is only doing a little, and quite subtle, EQ. :party: dB
... already on my master channel ;)

Recommendation: SlickEQ is good to use for a nice smooth treble boost. Nova should be good as a sort of multiband compressor & mild overall EQ (not as good as a real, capable multiband compressor, but better than any of the free stuff).

z.prime wrote: ... already on my master channel ;)

Recommendation: SlickEQ is good to use for a nice smooth treble boost. Nova should be good as a sort of multiband compressor & mild overall EQ (not as good as a real, capable multiband compressor, but better than any of the free stuff).
Just looking at it now as I was already thinking about wanting some multiband comp - how does it compare say to ReaXcomp? There are a few bands I needed to tame, but could not do easily at track level, and not with SlickEQ (and yes, you are on the money there, great for high end boost, super smooth - still subtle, but very nice).

Basic EQ use looks similar to ReaEQ as well (but I suspect there's more behind the scenes here). Just like ReaEQ for simple surgical EQ, which is all I have had to do this time round - chopping top, bottom and then boost/cut the rest to taste - easy peasy.

dB

ReaXComp is more flexible, but doesn't sound great to me for some reason, to be honest. Nova is more subtle. 67p, anyway was like an eq compressed together, multi band but not independent. Still sounded good tho. This new one seems about the same, sounds good.

doctorbob wrote:
z.prime wrote: ... already on my master channel ;)

Just looking at it now as I was already thinking about wanting some multiband comp - how does it compare say to ReaXcomp? There are a few bands I needed to tame, but could not do easily at track level, and not with SlickEQ (and yes, you are on the money there, great for high end boost, super smooth - still subtle, but very nice).

Basic EQ use looks similar to ReaEQ as well (but I suspect there's more behind the scenes here). Just like ReaEQ for simple surgical EQ, which is all I have had to do this time round - chopping top, bottom and then boost/cut the rest to taste - easy peasy.

dB
I'm using Nova on my master bus for light overall EQ and multi-band compression (super light though) and I have to say, for free software, I think it's awesome. I've also been using Limiter No6 as the last step in the chain and while it's taken some experimentation as it's a little complicated with many choices for settings, it also sounds very, very good. ReaEQ seems ok. This is my first project on Reaper and once I got past some synth related midi issues, I'm finding it to be a very good working environment.

Return to “Instruments”