FXpansion Cypher2 - Coming in 2018

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cypher (DCAM: Synth Squad)

If you have the Roli Songmaker Kit (or a Seaboard, Lightpad, and Loop blocks) you can put the Lightpad into Songmaker Kit mode. This adds another configuration that lets the Lightpad emulate the 3 sliders and X/Y pad of the Seaboard Rise. It turns the blocks into a mini Seaboard Rise. In this mode it automatically works with Eclipse and Strobe 2. I'm assuming it works the same way with Cypher 2, but I have no direct experience.
2020 iMac 27" 10 Core, OS 12.6.6, iConnectAudio2+, iConnectMidi4+, Novation SL MKIII, Push 2, Ableton Live, VCV Rack Pro 2, Bitwig Studio

krankyone wrote:If you have the Roli Songmaker Kit (or a Seaboard, Lightpad, and Loop blocks) you can put the Lightpad into Songmaker Kit mode. This adds another configuration that lets the Lightpad emulate the 3 sliders and X/Y pad of the Seaboard Rise. It turns the blocks into a mini Seaboard Rise. In this mode it automatically works with Eclipse and Strobe 2. I'm assuming it works the same way with Cypher 2, but I have no direct experience.
That‘s interesting, thanks! :clap:

Yes, that's correct, Cypher2 will work that way with Songmaker Kit.. the Lightpad Block is programmable and can be set up to do a ton of things (custom CCs, fader layouts etc.), but using the standard Songmaker Kit script and the Perf controls to set up whatever assignments you like is probably the easiest way to do it.
This account is dormant, I am no longer employed by FXpansion / ROLI.

Find me on LinkedIn or elsewhere if you need to get in touch.

Nice

Can somebody of the Beta Testers tell us if Equator is redundant when you have Strobe2 and Cypher2?

martinjuenke wrote:Can somebody of the Beta Testers tell us if Equator is redundant when you have Strobe2 and Cypher2?
No, just different beast. Equator can load samples, sfz format I think or sf2....

It's far from redundant.
Equator is a sample+synthesis type of engine, whereas Strobe2 and Cypher2 are pure synthesis. They all provide completely different sounds as well as means of making them.

Equator does have a very nice synth section with wavetable oscillators (cannot be scanned though) 3-op, 4 algorithm FM, 4 filters with diff routing options, and an elaborate mixer which allows for some lovely textures.

Also, when it comes to MPE/5D sounds, Equator has a more elaborate expression curve design which does come in handy for many sounds.

Equator is also easier to use, but of course, it's much simpler than Cypher.

Cypher2 is a whole world onto itself. A true beast. Those who will spend time learning its depths will be rewarded with some amazing sounds....
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

I'm really looking forward to trying this beast out. I just haven't had the time. I'm not in the same class as our esteemed friends here of course. Just saying.

Do you all remember when FXpansion first started? I do.

Lots of people used their cracks. Not many people actually bought their software. It's a small world. Software piracy was a different game back then. That's all changed now.

Then they lowered their prices, then they gave excellent freebies and roads in to their prize software like Guru, via CM mag. They knew. They reached out.

And they pulled a lot of us in. I never used their cracked software of course. No, no, no. I would never have dreamed of it.

But one day, it was a new day. That whole world turned around. I got a copy of Guru CM and my mind and my musical world was blown!

That's a good few years ago now. We aren't really allowed to talk about this stuff technically, I know, but still...

Fast forward through the years. Not that many of them but they have gone fast.

DCAM. Synth Squad. Remember the fuss that caused at the time. There was absolute uproar here on the forum. You must remember that? You must remember how you all said you thought it was the next best thing since sliced analogue? Maybe not. But I do.

What have I got now from them?

Guru. Geist. One and Two. BFD. Eco and the flagship version.

Just bought a couple of expanders and midi files/grooves for BFD.

Got their excellent Dynamics package. Really, quite simply out of this world good. I did get that for free though I have to admit. So I may be shilling here. But I think I earned it with some of the free stuff I gave away. And I think FXpansion thought that too.

No matter. Out of this world good. In the same league as The Glue. I only got that on my Ableton 9 Standard, but I know what I like.

This is a small world. It gets harder and harder to push ahead in ever smaller increments. Some people can be whored out, to put it bluntly, but most of us do what we do, do what we love, and if we get a bit back now and again - thanks very much!

One thing I know. The boys and gals at FXpansion are not lording it. They are doing the same thing they did when they first started out. Riding the rough edge of it. Just to bring you the next generation of amazing software.

Nothing they have done has been beaten really in the sound or the usability stakes. Ok, they charge an arm and a leg for license transfers. At least they allow them. And a few of you seem to get by passing on your stuff. They might even take a day or three or five to get back to you depending on weekends and holidays. But they will get back to you.

I got a few nice things off them as a thank you for doing some stuff for them. It was unsolicited, both ways, as is this message. I haven't even downloaded the majority of it.

It's a new game. Controllers. New company. Seems pretty expensive stuff. For most of us poor KVR folk. But I got a bit of money lately and I'll probably invest in something they do.

Cypher sounds really incredible. The sound designers posting on this thread have done great work. I am not one of them.

It may even be that it doesn't all work out at the end of the day. Just like back when Guru first came out and they said that stuff couldn't be done. FXpansion was the only company to do it. They led the field. They still lead the field. Maybe they will fail this time. But there is no reason to think they will not succeed.

Computer power and computer software goes in humps. Wheels within wheels. One leads the other, one keeps the other back.

There isn't really anyone else leading the field like they are. NI is a corporate company and doesn't have the best wishes of the end users at heart. Not to criticize them. It's a different game.

It's all turned out to be a bit of a disappointment really. So far. Trying to integrate hardware and software in such an innovative way. Maybe they will fail!

But no one else is doing it. No one else is pushing forward in this way.

It's not just a matter of programming a great synth. It's about integration and about interfaces. It's a mammoth task.

I have no idea where they are at, at the moment. This is all conjecture on my part. But I do know what they are attempting is very brave. And that no one is even attempting it. They may fail.

Let's give these software Gods a little support first though, eh? Before we kick them in the nuts one final time.

Somebody needs to push the envelope.

FXpansion are a very laid back company. A very forward thinking company. They might even be a generation ahead like they were with Guru and the software that preceded it (DR-008). They may just end up skipping a generation again, as far as us end users are concerned.

Out of all the companies out there in software land, this is the only one I keep my eye on. The only one capable of doing something truly 'disruptive'.

If they fail. Well. At least they tried...

FXpansion on Twitter right now:
„We've got some exciting news to share - keep your eyes peeled later today!“

martinjuenke wrote:FXpansion on Twitter right now:
„We've got some exciting news to share - keep your eyes peeled later today!“
Buckle up!!
Synth Presets and Music
https://linktr.ee/BoBSwanS

sound sculptist

Return to “Instruments”