BeepStreet released Dagger Synthesizer for VST/AU

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dagger

I doubt he will add much in terms of modulation. From what I understand it's limited by design.
That said, I've got a gazillion synths that modulate anything, I like this for what it does.

Sendy wrote:Interesting synth. Very chunky filters :hihi: Very limited modulation, but I suppose that's part of the appeal. I really love the TAL Roland emulations and this kinda falls into that ballpark, though with a much more versatile tonal palette.
Speaking of ballparks: Dagger, like the TAL VSTs, also has a low price-- one of my favorite features!

For $40? Incredible!

:clap: :clap: :clap:
바보

Yeah, I'm gonna have to pick this up. Reminds me a bit, tonally, of Monark.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

I'd like to see the ability to have 50% keytracking and to invert modulations or get a negative range for them (inverted filter envelopes etc). Just a few little expansions will really set this thing off, though for the moment I can get by using MIDI to make custom modulation.

At the moment, it does seem a little bit like a prototype. But a very good sounding one.

Also, some of the switches are lacking legending in the middle position. For example the LFO switch has "key" and "tempo". The middle switch position sets the LFO into free-running mode, so how about a "free" there?
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Once I get around buying it, I might make an alternate GUI, just a few refinements here and there.
Negative env shouldn't be too much of an issue for Beepstreet I guess? Would be nice indeed. As would two dials for phase and detune.

Oh, I also have a question that isn't covered by the manual.

How do you MIDI unlearn? I have something learned to the mod wheel and can't seem to get rid of it. I've tried everything.

EDIT: Also, I'm getting 20% CPU while the synth is idle. Anyone else? Not a huge deal, but it would be awesome if that could get lower.

Yeah, I had that issue myself as well. Beepstreet still has to implement a midi unlearn. The way I did it now was to remove a certain configuration file (midimapper.mrb). I'm on OS X, but you'll find it in the directory where the banks are as well.

I wasn't that blown away by Sunriser, so I only just got round to giving Dagger a decent demo...but oh-boy this thing sounds great. :clap:

db3 wrote:I wasn't that blown away by Sunriser, so I only just got round to giving Dagger a decent demo...but oh-boy this thing sounds great. :clap:
I quite liked the sound of Sunriser. So having both is a nice combo. But for me Dagger is the stand out.

BDeep wrote:I doubt he will add much in terms of modulation. From what I understand it's limited by design.
That said, I've got a gazillion synths that modulate anything, I like this for what it does.
Yeah, that's a fair point...

I really wanted this for bass and the filters, and the ability to dial in a good sound quickly. And it delivered on all fronts. Especially when I listened through monitors! The youtube demo does'nt do it justice.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Dagger get a really good review in Beat Magazine (no 123): 6 out of 6 and "Empfehlung der redaktionen" award

Numanoid wrote:Dagger get a really good review in Beat Magazine (no 123): 6 out of 6 and "Empfehlung der redaktionen" award
Well deserved. Nice... :tu:
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

I've been very impressed with Sunrizer - I might even go as far as to say it is possibly the best synth in its pricerange currently. It hangs with the big cats 4 times its price - hugely polished sound with little effort.

Which has ofcourse got me interested in Dagger, especially if people are saying it tops Sunrizer :)

Interesting sound, but I think I'll stick with Monark, Diva, Synthsquad, Ace etc

If the dev releases a polyphonic version with more modulation options I'll definitely check that out.

However if i did'nt have any of the synthesizers above i would totally buy this. It might be just a monosynth, but if you get creative enough you can find ways around this using multiple instances etc

This 0df stuff is definitely getting more interesting.

One feature i think should get inplemented is a audio processing version so people can use the filters on this on other material.
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote:Interesting sound, but I think I'll stick with Monark, Diva, Synthsquad, Ace etc
I think while it could be compared to Monark, it is a different beast. Soundwise is similar but I can get a WHOLE lot of detail out of this thing. It is easier to get to certain places than Diva, Synthsquad or Ace (unless you are really proficient at them).

I have used this side by side with Monark in a project and enjoyed different characteristics coming out.

Dagger update (1.1.0) with improved UI is available.
giq

Return to “Instruments”