Tone2 will release Icarus - 3D WaveTable Synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Elevation for Icarus Icarus3

chk071 wrote:Guys, let's talk about the synthie itself instead of arguing about marketing slogans which mean a shit. Every synthesizer plugin in your folder is being marketed with silly slogans, buzzwords, and promises which don't stand up to themselves. Every single TV ad tells you that if you use the product advertised, you will feel like a king, and it's of the highest premium quality imaginable. So come on, a bit of realism please. If they advertised it in a way that you could give it a try, because it isn't that bad, it would hardly sell. Marketing is a major factor to catch people, and i wouldn't be surprised if it had the same major influence on the people complaining about the same kind of thing.
Except there's a slight difference between advertising sth as a "powerful wavetable synth" etc. or the "most powerful wavetable synthesizer on the market".

Not the best way to engage some peoples sympathy I guess...

2ZrgE wrote:
chk071 wrote:Guys, let's talk about the synthie itself instead of arguing about marketing slogans which mean a shit. Every synthesizer plugin in your folder is being marketed with silly slogans, buzzwords, and promises which don't stand up to themselves. Every single TV ad tells you that if you use the product advertised, you will feel like a king, and it's of the highest premium quality imaginable. So come on, a bit of realism please. If they advertised it in a way that you could give it a try, because it isn't that bad, it would hardly sell. Marketing is a major factor to catch people, and i wouldn't be surprised if it had the same major influence on the people complaining about the same kind of thing.
Except there's a slight difference between advertising sth as a "powerful wavetable synth" etc. or the "most powerful wavetable synthesizer on the market".

Not the best way to engage some peoples sympathy I guess...
Well, it is. Otherwise they wouldn't do it. Just because it doesn't appeal to you or me doesn't mean it doesn't appeal to others. In fact, i'm pretty sure they have to do it for the plugins to sell well.

This is the same silly discussion as in the IK thread about their new products btw. Why not ignore the marketing shit and talk about the new synth? Honestly, i don't give a flying f*** how they market it. Everything i buy these days is premium quailty, and better than anything else. Come on really.

Back to topic (again): Looks like the OSC section has an Editor function, so i guess you can create your own waves/wavetables. :)

It also says resynthesis.
The good thing about a Tone2 wavetable thingy is that it will likely be more CPU efficient than similar plugins.

chk071 wrote: Why not ignore the marketing shit and talk about the new synth?
Not much to talk about ATM.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote:
chk071 wrote: Why not ignore the marketing shit and talk about the new synth?
Not much to talk about ATM.
There's loads to see in the GUI though. Hence why they "leaked" that picture. Marketing again, you see.

The knobs don't seem to have any indicators on them, yet 8)
I think there is also a limiter, but it is hard to read, maybe it says something else...

Well, if you're going to name a synth Icarus, the hyperbole marketing is just another way of flying too close to the sun. So it's fitting actually.

Daags wrote:what's a 3d wavetable ? or is OP just referring to the cgi rendering ?
It should be just like in matrices or arrays, so I'd expect it to be

0d : a table containing N values describing a single waveform. accessed by wavetable[index]. The basis of the simplest sampled/stored digital oscillators.
1d : a table containing a set of M tables, with each table containing N values describing a single waveform. Generally accessed by wavetable[waveform, index]. The basis of scanning wavetable systems like Waldorf's
2d : a table containing Q 'rows' of M tables, with each table containing N values describing a single waveform. Generally accessed by wavetable[row, waveform, index].
3d : a table containing S stacks of Q 'rows' of M tables, with each table containing N values describing a single waveform. Generally accessed by wavetable[stack, row, waveform, index]

You could however, number that 1D, 2D, 3D if you looked at it slightly differently (going by the layout of the matrix of values, rather than the layout of the matrix of tables), so I wonder if it isnt actually what I just described as 2D.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

And what is the point of that hierarchy and complexity? Is the resulting sound still controllable and musical?

fluffy_little_something wrote:And what is the point of that hierarchy and complexity? Is the resulting sound still controllable and musical?
Probably not since it's not Sylenth1 :roll:

Troll :)

Seriously, I am just trying to imagine how it works. It sounds like the result might often be arbitrary, especially when modulating.

I guess, this may be related to the direction of wavetable scanning. E.g., in Dune2 you may change the wavetable position, which means that you morph the waveform A to B, then to C, then to D etc, and if you move back, you can only do it like D->C->B->A . Smoothly going from A to D, then to B, then to H is not possible in Dune but probably may be possbile in more complex wavetable implementations.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

meh, i'm gonna wait for the 4D version coming out next month
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

recursive one wrote:But no one else has a website stating that it is the "home of the best VST Plugins & AU Instruments"
wait wut

:!:

I like that tone2 always puts an arp in their synths. I always thought massive and serum should have an arp. I have all the Tone2 stuff and always like their sound and appreciate that they try to do different things. Though it might be a hard sell for me, but if they could really one up Serum, I'll listen.

Return to “Instruments”