SPC ArcSyn

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Alectrona for ArcSyn ArcSyn Arrows for ArcSyn

Did some cleaning up, thread's open again.

Please stick to discussing the synth. Thanks.
No longer a moderator.

Bodhisan wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:If you assign an LFO you normally want it to modulate at full level, then you set the amount of that fully modulating LFO affecting the target in the matrix, if you start building LFO chains/sequences the level for any added LFO-step in the chain is 0, so you can set it according to your needs in the chain.
I could pretend I understand...but I don't. :ud: I'm sure you're explaining it well, but it's going over my head.

I see the wave level as affecting the pitch - at least when using it as a melodic "sequencer." I'm being lazy. I should simply use it in other ways - but it still begs the question (from my mouth) as to why, if it's set as the default, why are so many of the patches much, much lower? And I guess I'm so stuck on this because the bottom of the GUI is at the bottom of my screen (and I can't resize it - Logic bug?), so it takes me forever to swipe down with my mouse to get they damn 127 down to much lower numbers...at least 15 swipes - and sometimes it swipes back up! :hyper: Anyway, while I am curious and sincere as to its default setting, I was also trying to get this thread back on track.
Example: if you use an LFO level of 127 and modulate oscillator pitch at a value of 0.1 in the matrix, it's still much to high for a normal vibrato effect, so LFO values of about 30 in combination with 0.1 in the matrix give a reasonable range for normal vibrato-pitch modulation effects.

D.H. Miltz wrote:Did some cleaning up, thread's open again.

Thanks for that. :tu: It was a bit over the top.

Is there any chance of typing in values to be added in the next update ? It can be really annoying doing it with the mouse all the time :)
Last edited by shroom81 on Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"People are stupid" Gegard Mousasi.

chk071 wrote:
D.H. Miltz wrote:Did some cleaning up, thread's open again.

Thanks for that. :tu: It was a bit over the top.

shroom81 wrote:Is there any chance of typing in values to be added in the next update ? It can be really annoying doing it with the mouse all the time :)
Unfortunately not, it's one of my main feature requests too, Steven the dev is aware of that FR.

As I believe someone mentioned earlier, I find reverse engineering some of Simon's 'Arrows' patches (or factory too) can demonstrate some nice sound design concepts and help show the way to achieving similar results of your own - at least it has helped me. The online manual is pretty mandatory if you want to gain a deeper understanding as well - more so than on most other softsynths, where you can grasp most of it by simply experimenting. Or that's my take.

I still get fooled by the multi-ADSRs! I'm cruising along making cool sounds and quickly adjust the decay, oh wait nothing's happening!? D'oh, wrong ADRS set! Reset, find correct ADSR, and continue. But that's probably just me.

SciFiArtMan wrote:As I believe someone mentioned earlier, I find reverse engineering some of Simon's 'Arrows' patches (or factory too) can demonstrate some nice sound design concepts and help show the way to achieving similar results of your own - at least it has helped me. The online manual is pretty mandatory if you want to gain a deeper understanding as well - more so than on most other softsynths, where you can grasp most of it by simply experimenting. Or that's my take.

I still get fooled by the multi-ADSRs! I'm cruising along making cool sounds and quickly adjust the decay, oh wait nothing's happening!? D'oh, wrong ADRS set! Reset, find correct ADSR, and continue. But that's probably just me.
Yeah, there are the 2 "hard-wired" envelopes -> Env1 for filter and Env4 for amplitude (which is always assigned and can't be changed), and then there are the two free envelopes (2+3) which can be used for anything. Of course you can also use Env1 for anything else if you don't dial in the envelope filter controls in the filter section. I often assign dedicated envelopes to the volume (or other parameters) of the individual oscillators in patches which use all more than 1 osc, that way you can control different components of a more complex sound, and making those envelopes velocity sensitive can add a lot of expressiveness to a sound.

And in my mind Env1 should be hardwired to Amplitude, and Env2 to Filter or whatever, and 3 and 4 for fun and games. This is how I'm used to using Zebra2. With 500+ patches available for ArcSyn, is it too late to switch around? :)

SciFiArtMan wrote:And in my mind Env1 should be hardwired to Amplitude, and Env2 to Filter or whatever, and 3 and 4 for fun and games. This is how I'm used to using Zebra2. With 500+ patches available for ArcSyn, is it too late to switch around? :)
Well, who would want to re-edit all the patches then?

Sampleconstruct wrote:
SciFiArtMan wrote:And in my mind Env1 should be hardwired to Amplitude, and Env2 to Filter or whatever, and 3 and 4 for fun and games. This is how I'm used to using Zebra2. With 500+ patches available for ArcSyn, is it too late to switch around? :)
That ship is so far from shore I can't even see it on the distant horizon.

But learning new things is fun!

Sampleconstruct wrote: Example: if you use an LFO level of 127 and modulate oscillator pitch at a value of 0.1 in the matrix, it's still much to high for a normal vibrato effect, so LFO values of about 30 in combination with 0.1 in the matrix give a reasonable range for normal vibrato-pitch modulation effects.
And that makes perfect sense, Simon, thanks. Back to my original question - for conversation's sake - why do you think the default is set at 127, and is there something to be taken advantage of there?

Sampleconstruct wrote:
Maybe just changing the Label would not effect the allocation.
So Envelope 4 gets the Label 1 etc.
Would that work?
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

liquidsound wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
Maybe just changing the Label would not effect the allocation.
So Envelope 4 gets the Label 1 etc.
Would that work?
Steven the dev should answer that, but I assume he has an unorthodox, yet perfectly sensible reason for numbering the envelopes as they are now.

Just gave it a whirl and it's really cool. I love the oscillators they are really unique.
I noticed the slew rate limiter module doesn't have much effect at all, dev should increase the drive multiplier into it.
Also, the parameters seem to modulate very slowly, like there's a filter that's tuned too low on the parameters.

Return to “Instruments”