Official Arturia VCollection5 thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

exmatproton wrote:
artao wrote:
Ah_Dziz wrote:All the hardware I spent years using aliased very badly. The analog hardware I owned was far too mush of an pain in the ass to use for real work. So the fact that a plugin aliases more than many of it's competitors doesn't bug me much because of the fact that I can use as many instances of it as I want and that it has tons of added useful features past just the ability to recall your settings when loading a song. I know how to program around aliasing to a good enough degree where it has never been an issue that caused me problems.
uhhhhhh .... hardware ... aliasing
You DO realize that aliasing is a digital artifact only. Analog synths can't and don't alias. :dog:
There are digital hardware synthesizers too :hihi:
Obviously yes.
However, notice how he SPECIFICALLY states "analog hardware"? :hihi:

artao wrote:
exmatproton wrote:
artao wrote:
Ah_Dziz wrote:All the hardware I spent years using aliased very badly. The analog hardware I owned was far too mush of an pain in the ass to use for real work. So the fact that a plugin aliases more than many of it's competitors doesn't bug me much because of the fact that I can use as many instances of it as I want and that it has tons of added useful features past just the ability to recall your settings when loading a song. I know how to program around aliasing to a good enough degree where it has never been an issue that caused me problems.
You DO realize that aliasing is a digital artifact only. Analog synths can't and don't alias. :dog:
Obviously yes.
Notice how he specifically states 'The analog hardware I owned was far too much of an pain in the ass to use for real work.' ;)

So he's referring to his digital hardware.

Why was he trying to play it with his ass?
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

It's a tried and true technique if u want to smear the bottom end hehe

aMUSEd wrote:
artao wrote:
exmatproton wrote:
artao wrote:
Obviously yes.
Notice how he specifically states 'The analog hardware I owned was far too much of an pain in the ass to use for real work.' ;)

Your reading comprehension requires some serious work. You are jumping from "All the hardware I spent years using..." to "The analog hardware I owned was far too mush of an pain in the ass to use for real work" and making the assumption that he then only used digital hardware.
LOL whatever man. :borg:
Frankly, Ah Dziz is the only one who can clear that up for us.

artao wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
artao wrote:
exmatproton wrote:
artao wrote:
Obviously yes.

Your reading comprehension requires some serious work.
Irony
making the assumption that he then only used digital hardware.
No I didn't say that, you are not even reading what I wrote correctly. He's saying he had analog and digital but used the digital more for 'real work' because the analog was too hard to set up. Doesn't mean he didn't use it at all, just not for 'real work'.

Where does he say he has/had digital synths? The only hardware he specifically mentions is analog. YOU are assuming, because he says, "The analog hardware I owned was far too much of an pain in the ass to use for real work," means that, "All the hardware I spent years using aliased very badly," is referring to digital synths.
Anyhow, this is all moot until and unless Ah Dziz clarifies.
Way to make a mountain out of a molehill folks. .. Pretty typical here, with some people, sadly -- all too often the same bunch of people too. Interesting, that.

exmatproton wrote: 16 bit or 24 bit won't change aliasing. Aliasing has to do with a steep filter at halve the audio rate. In most cases at 22050Hz.
Didn't say it does. However, being at 16-bit could certainly cause some issues aside from any alleged aliasing. Sounds that people could be confusing for aliasing.
Also, "Aliasing has to do with a steep filter .." ... uhhhh .. what? :roll:
No. Aliasing has to do with nothing more than frequencies above Nyquist being mirrored. For most of us, running 48khz sample rate, that is 24khz. Period. Sine, square (block? i've seen people using that term here. Who calls a square wave a "block wave"? wtf), triangle, pulse, saw .. doesn't matter. If it aliases, it aliases, regardless of the waveform. Sine doesn't have harmonics, so it's harder to make it alias, of course, because you have to push the fundamental above Nyquist .. so that would mean you're trying to play a note above 24khz .. and you'd be doing that why exactly? for dogs and cats and other animals with such phenomenal hearing? Certainly not for human ears.
If I'm running at 96khz sample rate, a synth would have to generate frequencies above fricken 48khz!! I'm sorry, but that's just silly. Even with harmonics, they'd be at such low volumes it wouldn't be even remotely audible.
exmatproton wrote: The weird thing (and not possible, i thought) i see aliasing at 88200 as well :ud:

This is in ARP2600. A simple block @ 88200Hz. In the upper regions there is a lot going on and by the looks of it, is is aliasing. With a sine, there is no aliasing at these high regions.

As you can see, the tone is at 10K, so in the audible audio range for sure.
LOL okay
First off, why don't you go ahead and tell us all here how the hell you are generating a frequency of 88.2khz with the Arp 2600, let alone ANY instrument? :hyper:
That's certainly interesting. .. Also, it would put the Nyquist frequency at 44.1khz, which is utterly ridiculous.
At the sample rate most of us are using (48khz) the Nyquist freq. is 24khz. I'm sure there's harmonics coming out of our soft-synths way up there in the inaudible frequency range, but so what? Put a low pass filter way up there, at 22khz with -inf gain, and there you go. Any alleged problem solved if there aren't any frequencies above Nyquist. Right?

Also, BOLLOCKS that the Arp 2600 is aliasing at 10khz. Absolutely not true. WTF. Where and how are you coming up with this crap? :lol:

Finally, if you're so convinced of this alleged aliasing in Arturia's instruments, why don't you go ahead and take it up with Arturia. I'm sure they'd be happy to discuss it with you in depth, and tell you just how and why you are wrong. OR! IF there's any legitimacy to all this, I'm sure they'd be happy to have it pointed out to them so they can fix it. .. Especially since one of their big ad points is that TAE is alias free. ... According to you "Arturia is aliasing" folks, that means they're straight up lying, which would be false advertising and make them subject to legal action against them.
OR!! Perhaps you could end up causing a real ruckus regarding their claim of no aliasing.
NO ONE ELSE who is a professional, in any reviews, has ever .. EVER .. said anything at all about Arturia's synths aliasing. At least nothing I've seen. If you've got something otherwise, please share, because I'm legitimately interested.
If there were actually anything here, you can be sure it would have been brought up many times in professional reviews, not to mention professional musicians who use their products.
... Interesting side note ... a Sound on Sound review of the Prophet V talks about how Arturia's Prophet VS emulation DOES NOT exhibit the aliasing that was characteristic of the real Prophet VS; making it less accurate of an emulation, and more of an ideal. ( http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep06/a ... ophetv.htm )
Only in online forums do people bitch and moan about this alleged aliasing that only the select few can hear, and spend their time bitching and moaning about it, and trying to prove to everyone else that it's real.
I'll grant that your spectrgram images are interesting looking, but I highly doubt they came from the Arp. Sorry, but I'm calling BOTH bollocks AND malarchy on you.

Again, if you're so convinced of this, take it up with Arturia. You seem to be convinced that you have clear proof of aliasing at 10khz, which is a load of shit. There's NO WAY anyone would ever accept such lousy audio quality from a professional piece of audio software.
Nope, nope, and nope.

Thanks tho for the Oddity2 bit. I'll go ahead and check out that demo and see if I'm hearing anything different from the Arturia instruments.

I'll leave you with this video, which CLEARLY demonstrates what aliasing looks like and, more importantly, what it sounds like. ............. just as a refresher, which apparently some people here need. :roll:
I have NEVER heard such come out of any Arturia instrument. I certainly have heard it in numerous freeware instruments. It is clearly an obvious and unwanted (unless it is) sound. It would be utterly obvious to ANYONE who heard it, and there would be no discussion about whether it was real or not.
However, as I mentioned above, there only seem to be a select few who do hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoVhNhi76Qk

artao wrote:Where does he say he has/had digital synths? The only hardware he specifically mentions is analog. YOU are assuming, because he says, "The analog hardware I owned was far too much of an pain in the ass to use for real work," means that, "All the hardware I spent years using aliased very badly," is referring to digital synths.
Anyhow, this is all moot until and unless Ah Dziz clarifies.
Way to make a mountain out of a molehill folks. .. Pretty typical here, with some people, sadly -- all too often the same bunch of people too. Interesting, that.
Oh right so you're not making a mountain out of a molehill? Irony again. I was just trying to point out you had it back to front, as were the others, you're the one getting all defensive about it. I'm sure Ah Dziz can clarify it but it seemed pretty obvious to me what he was saying. There is no assumption being made, the statement - "All the hardware I spent years using aliased very badly. The analog hardware I owned was far too much of an pain in the ass to use for real work." clearly implies that the hardware he was using mainly for 'real work' was not the analog hardware, so it must have been digital. He doesn't need to have said that for most people to understand it.

artao wrote:
exmatproton wrote: 16 bit or 24 bit won't change aliasing. Aliasing has to do with a steep filter at halve the audio rate. In most cases at 22050Hz.
Didn't say it does. However, being at 16-bit could certainly cause some issues aside from any alleged aliasing. Sounds that people could be confusing for aliasing.
Also, "Aliasing has to do with a steep filter .." ... uhhhh .. what? :roll:
No. Aliasing has to do with nothing more than frequencies above Nyquist being mirrored. For most of us, running 48khz sample rate, that is 24khz. Period. Sine, square (block? i've seen people using that term here. Who calls a square wave a "block wave"? wtf), triangle, pulse, saw .. doesn't matter. If it aliases, it aliases, regardless of the waveform. Sine doesn't have harmonics, so it's harder to make it alias, of course, because you have to push the fundamental above Nyquist .. so that would mean you're trying to play a note above 24khz .. and you'd be doing that why exactly? for dogs and cats and other animals with such phenomenal hearing? Certainly not for human ears.
If I'm running at 96khz sample rate, a synth would have to generate frequencies above fricken 48khz!! I'm sorry, but that's just silly. Even with harmonics, they'd be at such low volumes it wouldn't be even remotely audible.
exmatproton wrote: The weird thing (and not possible, i thought) i see aliasing at 88200 as well :ud:

This is in ARP2600. A simple block @ 88200Hz. In the upper regions there is a lot going on and by the looks of it, is is aliasing. With a sine, there is no aliasing at these high regions.

As you can see, the tone is at 10K, so in the audible audio range for sure.
LOL okay
First off, why don't you go ahead and tell us all here how the hell you are generating a frequency of 88.2khz with the Arp 2600, let alone ANY instrument? :hyper:
That's certainly interesting. .. Also, it would put the Nyquist frequency at 44.1khz, which is utterly ridiculous.
At the sample rate most of us are using (48khz) the Nyquist freq. is 24khz. I'm sure there's harmonics coming out of our soft-synths way up there in the inaudible frequency range, but so what? Put a low pass filter way up there, at 22khz with -inf gain, and there you go. Any alleged problem solved if there aren't any frequencies above Nyquist. Right?

Also, BOLLOCKS that the Arp 2600 is aliasing at 10khz. Absolutely not true. WTF. Where and how are you coming up with this crap? :lol:

Finally, if you're so convinced of this alleged aliasing in Arturia's instruments, why don't you go ahead and take it up with Arturia. I'm sure they'd be happy to discuss it with you in depth, and tell you just how and why you are wrong. OR! IF there's any legitimacy to all this, I'm sure they'd be happy to have it pointed out to them so they can fix it. .. Especially since one of their big ad points is that TAE is alias free. ... According to you "Arturia is aliasing" folks, that means they're straight up lying, which would be false advertising and make them subject to legal action against them.
OR!! Perhaps you could end up causing a real ruckus regarding their claim of no aliasing.
NO ONE ELSE who is a professional, in any reviews, has ever .. EVER .. said anything at all about Arturia's synths aliasing. At least nothing I've seen. If you've got something otherwise, please share, because I'm legitimately interested.
If there were actually anything here, you can be sure it would have been brought up many times in professional reviews, not to mention professional musicians who use their products.
... Interesting side note ... a Sound on Sound review of the Prophet V talks about how Arturia's Prophet VS emulation DOES NOT exhibit the aliasing that was characteristic of the real Prophet VS; making it less accurate of an emulation, and more of an ideal. ( http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep06/a ... ophetv.htm )
Only in online forums do people bitch and moan about this alleged aliasing that only the select few can hear, and spend their time bitching and moaning about it, and trying to prove to everyone else that it's real.
I'll grant that your spectrgram images are interesting looking, but I highly doubt they came from the Arp. Sorry, but I'm calling BOTH bollocks AND malarchy on you.

Again, if you're so convinced of this, take it up with Arturia. You seem to be convinced that you have clear proof of aliasing at 10khz, which is a load of shit. There's NO WAY anyone would ever accept such lousy audio quality from a professional piece of audio software.
Nope, nope, and nope.

Thanks tho for the Oddity2 bit. I'll go ahead and check out that demo and see if I'm hearing anything different from the Arturia instruments.

I'll leave you with this video, which CLEARLY demonstrates what aliasing looks like and, more importantly, what it sounds like. ............. just as a refresher, which apparently some people here need. :roll:
I have NEVER heard such come out of any Arturia instrument. I certainly have heard it in numerous freeware instruments. It is clearly an obvious and unwanted (unless it is) sound. It would be utterly obvious to ANYONE who heard it, and there would be no discussion about whether it was real or not.
However, as I mentioned above, there only seem to be a select few who do hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoVhNhi76Qk
You are truly funny :clap:

16 or 24 (or 32) bit changes won't 'add' "weirdness", or what you say; " cause some issues". It just won't. Like, at all. Effectively it only raises the noisefloor. There will be no audible changes.

Now, for the aliasing at 88200 hertz, i just played the same tones and was struck by the fact i heard and saw the same aliasing occur. It is weird, right?

You see the screenshots, you can take it, or leave it, i really don't care. But you can clearly see the difference between the Arturia synth and the Oddity2. I mean, it is a big difference. It is just there. I am not making this shit up...

"Again, if you're so convinced of this, take it up with Arturia. You seem to be convinced that you have clear proof of aliasing at 10khz, which is a load of shit. There's NO WAY anyone would ever accept such lousy audio quality from a professional piece of audio software.
Nope, nope, and nope."
This is the official Arturia thread, so that's why i posted it.

And i also don't care about the aliasing itself. Like i said, i will keep using those synths anyway.

If you never heard it comming out of an Arturia synth, maybe it is time to let somebody clean your ears, or do the test yourself with a block or saw around 10K. And play a bit with the pitch. :phones:

"I'll leave you with this video, which CLEARLY demonstrates what aliasing looks like and, more importantly, what it sounds like. ............. just as a refresher, which apparently some people here need. :roll:
I have NEVER heard such come out of any Arturia instrument. I certainly have heard it in numerous freeware instruments. It is clearly an obvious and unwanted (unless it is) sound. It would be utterly obvious to ANYONE who heard it, and there would be no discussion about whether it was real or not."

Luckily, i have seen and heard enough to know what aliasing is. So i don't need some kind of refresher. It looks like you do, btw, with your weird thought about 16 vs. 24 (or 32) bit...So i will leave you with a good video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIQ9IXSUzuM
Last edited by exmatproton on Mon May 30, 2016 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

exmatproton wrote: You are truly funny :clap:

16 or 24 (or 32) bit changes won't 'add' "weirdness", or what you say; " cause some issues". It just won't. Like, at all. Effectively it only raises the noisefloor. There will be no audible changes.

Now, for the aliasing at 88200 hertz, i just played the same tones and was struck by the fact i heard and saw the same aliasing occur. It is weird, right?

You see the screenshots, you can take it, or leave it, i really don't care. And i also don't care about the aliasing itself. Like i said, i will keep using those synths anyway. This is the official Arturia thread, so that's why i posted it.

If you never heard it comming out of an Arturia synth, maybe it is time to let somebody clean your ears, or do the test yourself with a block or saw around 10K. And play a bit with the pitch. :phones:
Oh for the love of monkeys!!
Reducing bit depth doesn't "only raise the noisefloor," it adds audible distortion and even glitchiness at times. At 16-bit, that would be a bit odd, sure. But not all DACs are of equal quality.

So how are you playing notes at 88.2khz? "You just played some tones" that happened to be WAY WAY WAYYYY above any audible hearing range of any known creature on the planet?

And of course, it's the majority here who are wrong, and we all need our ears cleaned, because we're not hearing this alleged aliasing that the all-too-vocal minority here harp on and on about.
"OH! Arturia synths have such horrible aliasing, even at 10khz."
Yeah. Sure they do buddy. That's why no reviewer has ever brought it up before, and why so many professional musicians use their software. The aliasing at mid frequencies in their alias-free TAE engine is clearly why Arturia products are so popular. That's gotta be it.
Yep. Totally seems legit. :roll:

Again, why don't you (and the others who claim aliasing) go ahead and point out this alleged aliasing to Arturia, because I'm sure they'd like to fix it, considering that one of their main selling points is their TAE engine which they say is alias free.

Just stop already. It's idiotic.

EDIT: I see you've edited your post. I do that too sometimes.
Interesting that you keep neglecting how I NEVER SAID 16-BIT IS CAUSING ALIASING. It can cause other issues tho, unrelated to aliasing. Such as downsampling, which can have it's own ugly sounds. .. this is why we dither, right? ;)

artao wrote:
exmatproton wrote: You are truly funny :clap:

You see the screenshots, you can take it, or leave it, i really don't care. And i also don't care about the aliasing itself. Like i said, i will keep using those synths anyway. This is the official Arturia thread, so that's why i posted it.

Oh for the love of monkeys!!
Reducing bit depth doesn't "only raise the noisefloor," it adds audible distortion and even glitchiness at times. At 16-bit, that would be a bit odd, sure. But not all DACs are of equal quality.

So how are you playing notes at 88.2khz? "You just played some tones" that happened to be WAY WAY WAYYYY above any audible hearing range of any known creature on the planet?

And of course, it's the majority here who are wrong, and we all need our ears cleaned, because we're not hearing this alleged aliasing that the all-too-vocal minority here harp on and on about.
Yeah. Sure they do buddy. That's why no reviewer has ever brought it up before, and why so many professional musicians use their software. The aliasing at mid frequencies in their alias-free TAE engine is clearly why Arturia products are so popular. That's gotta be it.
Yep. Totally seems legit. :roll:

Again, why don't you (and the others who claim aliasing) go ahead and point out this alleged aliasing to Arturia, because I'm sure they'd like to fix it, considering that one of their main selling points is their TAE engine which they say is alias free.

Just stop already. It's idiotic.

EDIT: I see you've edited your post. I do that too sometimes.
Interesting that you keep neglecting how I NEVER SAID 16-BIT IS CAUSING ALIASING. It can cause other issues tho, unrelated to aliasing. Such as downsampling, which can have it's own ugly sounds.
Please, just look the video.....damn...

i did not play notes at 88200 hertz, why would i do that?? I playd notes around 10k, 10000 Hertz, and played a bit with the pitch, so you can see the mirrored, or bounced audio. Reminder; this is with saws, pulses and blocks. A sine won't get affected ofcourse. A triangle will get affected, but way to silent to hear.

I am not wrong at all. I really don't get your hostile stand.

"Interesting that you keep neglecting how I NEVER SAID 16-BIT IS CAUSING ALIASING..." i never said you did. I even quoted you....+ i have corrected my post.

Yeah. Sure they do buddy.
What kind of attitude is this?? I never said i find it horrible. It is just there and quite soft. I really don't care about the aliasing that much.

Reducing bit depth doesn't "only raise the noisefloor," it adds audible distortion and even glitchiness at times. At 16-bit, that would be a bit odd, sure. But not all DACs are of equal quality. Please, watch the video i posted. I mean, what you say is just bollocks. I mean, for real. Please get yourself informed correctly. Glitches? At 16 bit? No. Audible distortion? At 16 bit? No. It raises the noisefloor. At 8 bit, the noisefloor is at -72 dB. That's already super quiet. At 16 bit, it is around -90/-95 dB. That IS inaudible. It WON'T add distortion. It won't add glitches.

"Again, why don't you (and the others who claim aliasing) go ahead and point out this alleged aliasing to Arturia, because I'm sure they'd like to fix it, considering that one of their main selling points is their TAE engine which they say is alias free." Like i said; this IS the official Arturia page, so it is already at the right topic. No need to "bring" it in their laps. This topic IS from Arturia itself.....

exmatproton wrote:Now, for the aliasing at 88200 hertz, i just played the same tones and was struck by the fact i heard and saw the same aliasing occur. It is weird, right?
I have no comment on the Arturia synths as I have not tried them in forever. However, you can certainly have aliasing at 88khz.

I consider any digital artifact due to the sample rate to be aliasing. Same like a photo or text that has jaggies (aliasing).

There is a reason that some synths are calculated internally at sample rates like 384khz. Obviously nobody is playing notes anywhere near there...

pdxindy wrote:
exmatproton wrote:Now, for the aliasing at 88200 hertz, i just played the same tones and was struck by the fact i heard and saw the same aliasing occur. It is weird, right?
I have no comment on the Arturia synths as I have not tried them in forever. However, you can certainly have aliasing at 88khz.

I consider any digital artifact due to the sample rate to be aliasing. Same like a photo or text that has jaggies (aliasing).

There is a reason that some synths are calculated internally at sample rates like 384khz. Obviously nobody is playing notes anywhere near there...
Ofcourse :) However, i 'hoped' the aliasing was to quiet to hear when using a higher sample rate. That wasn't the case. I use high notes/sounds btw, so it is kinda relevant, but in a mix, i can't hear it. :tu:

Yes, I watched the video. It is a good video and explains bit depth well. (altho I've always thought that guy comes off as a bit arrogant and condescending)
Notice tho the difference between the dithered and undithered audio.
16-bit? Yes. You certainly shouldn't be hearing any distortions or glitching. That doesn't mean it can't happen with a sub-par DAC -- particularly if not properly dithered.
We even deliberately use sample reduction to get this digital distortion.

My misunderstand then re: you playing notes at 88.2khz. Perhaps you can see, from your post, how I could have thought that.
Still. You're hearing aliasing when playing notes at 10khz? ... I don't know WHAT you're hearing, but it's not aliasing.
My hostility comes form the ridiculousness of the vocal minority of users (on internet forums solely, in my experience) who insist that Arturia's synths are aliasing. Many of them even saying that it's intolerable aliasing and that they would never use an Arturia product because of it. (sorry I lumped you in that category, since you state it's not all that bothersome to you. Altho you did go to an awful lot of trouble to try and point out this alleged aliasing)
This is patently ridiculous.
Of course tho, to all those few people who DO hear the alleged aliasing, all the rest of us need to get our ears checked.
I'm fricken sick of it!! It's a load of shit.
The sound of aliasing is SO OBVIOUS that if it were actually there, NO ONE would be denying it's presence, and there would be no debate about whether it actually exists or not in Arturia's synths.

Note the Sound on Sound article I linked, where the reviewer talks about how the Arturia's Prophet VS LACKS the aliasing present in the ACTUAL Prophet VS.
But of course, those who claim Arturia's synths DO alias probably hear that aliasing.
I wonder why the rest of us don't. ... hmmm ..... surely the majority of people must be wrong, and the vocal minority must be correct. That's usually the case, right?

As to this being the official Arturia page ... I can see why you might be under that impression, given the title of this thread.
However, this is NOT the official Arturia page. Nor are they likely to notice your comments or alleged proof in this mass of noise. If you look through this particular thread -- even tho it was indeed started by an Arturia representative -- there is little to no activity from anyone from Arturia.
This is more of an announcement thread, which has turned into a user discussion.
There is an official Arturia forum on KVR. That would be much likelier to actually get noticed by Arturia.
Their official forums on their own website is probably even more likely to get noticed.
And finally, the BEST way to get ahold of Arturia is via email.

Again I say: If Arturia's synths actually aliased like some people complain about then they certainly wouldn't be as big and popular as they are, and reviewers would certainly be pointing it out.
Aliasing is an OBVIOUS digital artifact. I have tried to produce aliasing with Arturia's synths, at frequencies well above 10khz, with several of their synths.
I have yet to hear any. I don't know what y'all are talking about, but it sure ain't aliasing. And I am sick to death of people talking about it. THAT is why I'm hostile on this subject. I'm just sick of it. It's utter nonsense. Were there actually aliasing there, no one would be saying there isn't aliasing. And the vast majority of people aren't hearing any of this alleged aliasing.

Arturia's synths have some issues, sure. But aliasing isn't one of them.
nuf said

Return to “Instruments”