D16 Group teases PunchBOX

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
PunchBOX

plexuss wrote:I bought Punchbox. Thanks to you, you mentioned Metrum, so I downloaded it and tried it out comparing it to Punchbox. For me PB was an easy winner. first of all, Metrum requires a eLicenser - I have one but feel I was forced into buying it because of Waldorf's completely stupid licensing policy (in fact there are some details about it most don't know and if they transfer a Waldorf license, the new license holder likely will not be able to replace it if they lose it even if its on the eLicenser). Also Metrum's GUI, well, basically sucks, for me. It was so bad it was effectively unusable (by me). But that's just me, YMWV. Also Metrum was more about layering samples than about processing them, where-as PB's approach is more about processing samples. I can understand why some say that Metrum has more variation in sound, because its all in the samples (primarilly). Where-as PB is more about the processing. So for me, I found PB a better fit because it's more about dialling in your own sound rather than calling up sounds. I am sure if I was forced to use Metrum I would learn it's processing engine but PB just came more naturally and its much more fun to work with. Metrum was not fun for me to work with because of the UI (very small vague controls). The other thing I like about PB is the synthesized drum selection. and it's cheaper (especially using the 20E off coupon). so there it is. thanks for the hears up on Metrum too, it was interesting to try it.
it's interesting how we all differ.. and i am thrilled that you love punchbox! It's very healthy for devs to have competition.

PunchBD by RP has a decent BD synth that you can mix with samples, that's another one you may want to try.

For me, metrum indeed does need work on it's gui, but i don't care where it gets it's sound source from, it's the only one i can find a kick for any track within a minute.. it just works.. IMO.

What i'd love to hear, are some user results with punchbox demonstrating some different kicks, let's see what people can come up with.

I'm a big fan of D16, but this is just a weaker version of Twisted Tool S-Layer, or of TT Polyplex.

Sure, this doesn't require reaktor, still worth a mention though, I'm sure it's a decent product that gives good results. But Polyplex has this x8 per instance.

HardSinc wrote:I'm a big fan of D16, but this is just a weaker version of Twisted Tool S-Layer, or of TT Polyplex.

Sure, this doesn't require reaktor, still worth a mention though, I'm sure it's a decent product that gives good results. But Polyplex has this x8 per instance.
I have this, Polyplex and Stacker and I'm preferring this for kicks simply due to the speed with which I get results. Polyplex has a great library for house though and Stacker is like PunchBOX and Polyplex combined. But the last 5 tracks I've made have PunchBOX doing the kicks.

gunark wrote:
HardSinc wrote:I'm a big fan of D16, but this is just a weaker version of Twisted Tool S-Layer, or of TT Polyplex.

I have this, Polyplex and Stacker and I'm preferring this for kicks simply due to the speed with which I get results. Polyplex has a great library for house though and Stacker is like PunchBOX and Polyplex combined. But the last 5 tracks I've made have PunchBOX doing the kicks.
sure, every tool has it's pros/cons. of course you can use different machines at the same time. i also use not only just 1 synth or delay :wink: - simply depends what i am after and how much time i have to reach the target.

at punchbox our most important point was:

that you get great sounding results within seconds/on the fly - without any complicated workflow in combination with all time fav TR 808/909 next to a huge library (that will be expanded regularly).

btw: with the 3 sample cells in combination with the fx cells you can shape a simple 808/909 (incl. keytrack) to something totally different. this is simply not possible with the kick cell in nepheton or drumazon.

best,
oli

Given D16's already build many of the relevant modules required, I'd definitely be hopeful PunchBOX will grow beyond just kicks to other drums or percussion. I guess it's kind of possible using the sample element but synthetic ones like those for the kicks would be nice.
Oliver Schmitt wrote:
gunark wrote:

sure, every tool has it's pros/cons. of course you can use different machines at the same time. i also use not only just 1 synth or delay :wink: - simply depends what i am after and how much time i have to reach the target.

at punchbox our most important point was:

that you get great sounding results within seconds/on the fly - without any complicated workflow in combination with all time fav TR 808/909 next to a huge library (that will be expanded regularly).

btw: with the 3 sample cells in combination with the fx cells you can shape a simple 808/909 (incl. keytrack) to something totally different. this is simply not possible with the kick cell in nepheton or drumazon.

best,
oli

Here`s a very interesting review/walkthrough by Aiyn Zahev, that came out yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF4mhgP6vQs

:wink:

Ooooo, I want!! I need! I will pick this up very soon. D-16 always develops and releases such unique, usable plugins.

Such a shame about the whole 'eroded metal' GUI though.

I like the GUI, just wish it was resizable, as I find it quite small.

And my Senn HD 25 love the lows this 'box' can make... At the next sale I'm all over it...

gunark wrote:Given D16's already build many of the relevant modules required, I'd definitely be hopeful PunchBOX will grow beyond just kicks to other drums or percussion. I guess it's kind of possible using the sample element but synthetic ones like those for the kicks would be nice.
Based on all the positive feedback, they probably made the right decision and should leave it as a Kick synth.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Questuion to the devs: Im sure you guys analyzed all the kick synths that are on the market right now. Big kick, there is a knob/function "DEEP". I cant find similiar function in your sine generator and thus i cant produce a hard mid lowy trancy kick(not high pitched low mid one), hope u see what i mean. Turning this knob in BIG KICK makes sine wave going all the way down. If i use your sine generator incorrectly, maybe you could point me out how to reproduce it?

p.s. also, if it was possible to drop samplesonto click/tools/top section from the browser with simple dragndrop would be amazing...its not a great deal, just a wish)

gunark wrote:...I'd definitely be hopeful PunchBOX will grow beyond just kicks to other drums or percussion…
Yeah, i'm hanging out for "RimJOB", "TomCAT" and "OldHAT" for sure…

hey guys! another cool review by adsr. :tu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAYkg3ZrBlY

best,
oli

compare this shit to a single kick voice of DrumSpillage or the likes, and you will immediately notice that it is near impossible to get a slamming kick going with it. I don't know what passes as a kick drum for most people, but as for a 'one-stop kick plugin', this aint it.

gunark wrote:

Likewise. For some reason I never really got on with Polyplex and S-Layer. I'm using Stacker for clap/snare layering and PunchBox for kicks.

Return to “Instruments”