Leaving 32 bit plugins behind?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Recently I got a new desktop with all the trimmings, Windows 10 pro, i7 6th generation. Tonnes of ram, yadda, yadda.

Many Daw's are being left behind on my old machine for good. I also have little patience for transferring over all my old plug ins. It's time consuming and simply too time consuming to look at all of them when it comes to recording/play time. Even though I have jbridge I'm thinking of leaving all my 32 bit plug ins behind.

What are your thoughts? Is it time to let the past bury itself or are you still clinging to old favorites
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

tapper mike wrote:Recently I got a new desktop with all the trimmings, Windows 10 pro, i7 6th generation. Tonnes of ram, yadda, yadda.

Many Daw's are being left behind on my old machine for good. I also have little patience for transferring over all my old plug ins. It's time consuming and simply too time consuming to look at all of them when it comes to recording/play time. Even though I have jbridge I'm thinking of leaving all my 32 bit plug ins behind.

What are your thoughts? Is it time to let the past bury itself or are you still clinging to old favorites
Yes, 32 bit was stone age!

tapper mike wrote:Recently I got a new desktop with all the trimmings, Windows 10 pro, i7 6th generation. Tonnes of ram, yadda, yadda.

I stopped using 32 bit plugins a couple of months ago. Most old plugins i used, have been updated to 64 bit luckily. I love the extra ram allocation and i don't like using wrappers/bridges, since they tend to be a little bit less stable (i never used external bridges btw, so can't comment on that).

Try leaving them behind and than just add ones you really need over time.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Bury 'em. And any projects still using 32bit synths, bounce to disk, or use something else.
Today is the day! :D

There are still some 32-bit plugins I cannot quite live without, so they stay with me. NI Pro-53 is one of them. Fuzzpilz Oatmeal is another. SQ8L is yet another. And VAZ Modular, of course.

Thankfully Reaper's bit-bridge is rock-solid, so there are never any issues with these. Yay!

I'm in a similar situation, I don't think you should get rid of all, but stick to 64-bit version where available for less headaches.

Same here as for most others.
I use 98% 64 Bit these days but keep my older plugins around and put the ones I don't have as 64 Bit in a specific folder.
Since Bitwig reads both 32 and 64 plugins and allows for multiple VST directories, it's not much of a deal to connect to that folder on demand (or when opening old projects).
So it depends on your host how flexible you can work in that regard.

Jbridge was a bit of a mixed experience for me, the bitbridge in Bitwig is much better and doesn't give me any trouble.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

If your host has a bit bridge, i don't see a reason why you shouldn't go 64-bit. Not a big fan of bridges though, there are some issues... but the 1% 32-bit only plugins i had are not worth the consideration, so i'm 100% 64-bit now.

I pretty much dumped all my x86 plugs when upgraded my pc to x64 few years ago. Only x86 plugs I have, is g-sonique stuff but they're porting to x64 :tu:

Now the issue is, that I have too many x64 synths but I can't really start selling them since every one of them is different than others :P
For example I have Hive so one could mistakingly think, that I don't need Predator. But all those waveforms in P that H doesn't have.. Different sounding filters... Difficult :P Then I thought that "hey I'll sell my Diversion license", but guess what? I made sounds so piercing and unique, that I wasn't able to replicate in H or P that now I can't sell my D either :D

Lejurai wrote:I pretty much dumped all my x86 plugs when upgraded my pc to x64 few years ago. Only x86 plugs I have, is g-sonique stuff but they're porting to x64 :tu:

Now the issue is, that I have too many x64 synths but I can't really start selling them since every one of them is different than others :P
For example I have Hive so one could mistakingly think, that I don't need Predator. But all those waveforms in P that H doesn't have.. Different sounding filters... Difficult :P Then I thought that "hey I'll sell my Diversion license", but guess what? I made sounds so piercing and unique, that I wasn't able to replicate in H or P that now I can't sell my D either :D
Exactly. I was on the fence to sell Electra2 in my ongoing sale here, but refrained from it, because i like the JP-8k supersaw pads so much, and don't think i can fully recreate that with one of my other synths. :) So they kind of all serve a purpose. And if you feel like there are certain sounds you can do with synth XY, that you like, and feel you need, there's no real point in getting rid of it, and trying hard to replace it with something else, which wouldn't be able to do it in the same quality.

I also switched to a 64-bit only system like two months ago. It was a good excuse for tidying up my folders and getting rid of old stuff, and thinking of what I really need.
First I thought I would miss this and that, especially SE stuff, but I don't. The system runs smoothly and I don't miss anything.

i've stayed away from bloated sample based synth plugins so i really have no need for 64bit and its terabyte(or whatever huge amount) memory access advantage over 32bit. therefore x32 win xp and 32bit plugins on my 3gb, 3ghz quadcore satisfy my needs to create electronic music just fine :P
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Yes, I haven't noticed any noteworthy resource-related improvements, either. It just feels better :hihi:

If you think 64 is the answer I'll be happy to accept your useless 32 bit plugins. Must be for free as I'd have to be stupid to pay for obsolescence. Just think of it as charity for a under privileged savage living in a 3rd world nation (U.S.A.) My tribe thanks you in advance.

Return to “Instruments”