New xils lab synth coming...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Teksonik wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Just listen to it. Nothing else needs to be said.
:zzz:
https://soundcloud.com/xils-lab/through ... -the-ocean
exactly. can do that with OBXD and reverb. :party:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:exactly. can do that with OBXD and reverb. :party:
That's incorrect:
Ingonator wrote:
Benjamin923 wrote:Excuse my ignorance here, but where is it that the Polymoog excels? I understand that it has polyphony for the full 71 note range of the keyboard, but I'm a little uncertain what it's supposed to be special for outside of this. What I see right now is basically a Minimoog with lots of polyphony, less waveforms (and the ability to divide waveform depending on keyboard range), a 3 band eq, and FM (did the Minimoog have FM?). There are a few more differences but I'm trying to see what sonic territory the Polymoog covers that's unique or rare in VA synths.

I'm a little confused on how the 2 different filters work here. What's the difference from the 24db VCF and the Polyphonic VCF? I get that there's a lot of things applied per voice here, but how does that actually affect the sounds the synth makes? How does all of this per key stuff manifest in the synths actual sound?
Hi,

FWIW i am one of the testers of PolyM and also got the other Xils Lab synths here.

The Polymoog 203a Synthesizer had a quite unique sound engine difficult to replicate by other synths and many people had asked for a proper emulation in the past...
The only other polyphonic Moog synth was the Memorymoog which was released later(in the 80s while both Minimoog and Polymoog were built in the 70s (Polymoog started around 1975). Actually the Polymoog seemed to be released before "proper" analog polysynths (not based on divide-down technology) like e.g. CS-80, OB-X and Prophet 5 were released.

First the preset buttons (0 to 9) at the Polymoog panel do not just represent different settings like a "normal" patch but in the hardware they represent different analog circuits used to create the basic sound of that patch.
The other controls could then be used to modify the patch based on that circuit selected from the buttons.

One major part of the Polymoog were the 3 "Resonators" that act like 3 filters at different Cutoff and adjustable resonance. THey could be swithced betwen Bandpass (which would result i a 3 band resonant formant filter), Lowass and highpass whlie that setting the works for all 3 "bands".

Also the way how PWM works in Polymoog seems to be slightly different to e.g. a Memorymoog.

Another major part is the mixer section of the Polymoog where you could mix the raw oscillators, the output of the 24dB VCF, the Resonators and a modulated versions of the raw Oscs.
In the Memorymoog and most other analog polysynths you always "only" get the output of the 24dB Lowpass filter and could not mix this with teh raw Oscs and other stuff.

The "polyhonic" filter of PolyM that was not included with the real thing has 3 filter modes like Lowpass, Bandpass and Highpass (Polymoog only had the 24dB Lowpass) and also a dedicated envelope.
With the polyphonic filter also each voice seem to get it' own filter which could make a difference when playing chords.

Last year i also beta tested Synapse Audio The Legend (and created factory presets) and i do not really see Polymoog or PolyM related to a Minimoog. Polymoog seems to work best with polyphonic stuff like e.g. Strings, Choirs, Pads etc. while Minimoog is graet for Basses, Leads and other stuff. Of course with a Minimoog emulation like The Legend that also includes an option for polyphony you could also create nice polyphonic sounds but that was not for what the hardware synth was originally built (also as i did not have an option for polyphony in the hardware).

HunterKiller wrote:
layzer wrote:exactly. can do that with OBXD and reverb. :party:
That's incorrect:
Ingonator wrote:
Benjamin923 wrote:Excuse my ignorance here, but where is it that the Polymoog excels? I understand that it has polyphony for the full 71 note range of the keyboard, but I'm a little uncertain what it's supposed to be special for outside of this. What I see right now is basically a Minimoog with lots of polyphony, less waveforms (and the ability to divide waveform depending on keyboard range), a 3 band eq, and FM (did the Minimoog have FM?). There are a few more differences but I'm trying to see what sonic territory the Polymoog covers that's unique or rare in VA synths.

I'm a little confused on how the 2 different filters work here. What's the difference from the 24db VCF and the Polyphonic VCF? I get that there's a lot of things applied per voice here, but how does that actually affect the sounds the synth makes? How does all of this per key stuff manifest in the synths actual sound?
Hi,

FWIW i am one of the testers of PolyM and also got the other Xils Lab synths here.

The Polymoog 203a Synthesizer had a quite unique sound engine difficult to replicate by other synths and many people had asked for a proper emulation in the past...
The only other polyphonic Moog synth was the Memorymoog which was released later(in the 80s while both Minimoog and Polymoog were built in the 70s (Polymoog started around 1975). Actually the Polymoog seemed to be released before "proper" analog polysynths (not based on divide-down technology) like e.g. CS-80, OB-X and Prophet 5 were released.

First the preset buttons (0 to 9) at the Polymoog panel do not just represent different settings like a "normal" patch but in the hardware they represent different analog circuits used to create the basic sound of that patch.
The other controls could then be used to modify the patch based on that circuit selected from the buttons.

One major part of the Polymoog were the 3 "Resonators" that act like 3 filters at different Cutoff and adjustable resonance. THey could be swithced betwen Bandpass (which would result i a 3 band resonant formant filter), Lowass and highpass whlie that setting the works for all 3 "bands".

Also the way how PWM works in Polymoog seems to be slightly different to e.g. a Memorymoog.

Another major part is the mixer section of the Polymoog where you could mix the raw oscillators, the output of the 24dB VCF, the Resonators and a modulated versions of the raw Oscs.
In the Memorymoog and most other analog polysynths you always "only" get the output of the 24dB Lowpass filter and could not mix this with teh raw Oscs and other stuff.

The "polyhonic" filter of PolyM that was not included with the real thing has 3 filter modes like Lowpass, Bandpass and Highpass (Polymoog only had the 24dB Lowpass) and also a dedicated envelope.
With the polyphonic filter also each voice seem to get it' own filter which could make a difference when playing chords.

Last year i also beta tested Synapse Audio The Legend (and created factory presets) and i do not really see Polymoog or PolyM related to a Minimoog. Polymoog seems to work best with polyphonic stuff like e.g. Strings, Choirs, Pads etc. while Minimoog is graet for Basses, Leads and other stuff. Of course with a Minimoog emulation like The Legend that also includes an option for polyphony you could also create nice polyphonic sounds but that was not for what the hardware synth was originally built (also as i did not have an option for polyphony in the hardware).
Ignore him. You know, for somebody who basically says that you can make any sound with free synths, he'd have a lot more credibility if he didn't have 7 hardware synths and modules in his signature that I know he paid for unless he ripped off some little old lady on the corner.

Layzer makes some great music and I'll be the first to recognize that, but no, you can't make every sound imaginable with free synths. Certainly 99% of the people who attend these forums can't or, at best, don't even bother trying.

The Polymoog's resonator is not going to be duplicated by the OBXD. I don't care how damn hard you try. It's not happening.

I know. I don't understand why has to be so grating in every thread. Putting this or that down, without any constructive criticism. Surely he should rise above that, if he is so content. And if others are having an ego trip using the latest stuff (that which he predominantly considers inferior), let them crash and burn, and if they never do, then they weren't having an ego trip to begin with, but were doing something just as constructive, meaningful and involving as he was.

Just about everyone loves OB-Xd, but give others room to breathe layerz.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

I could do anything in that sound demo with OnePingOnly and no effects. I'm such a great bedroom producer from teh interwebz.

chk071 wrote:I could do anything in that sound demo with OnePingOnly
poor Bram !

:) :oops:

chk071 wrote:I could do anything in that sound demo with OnePingOnly and no effects. I'm such a great bedroom producer from teh interwebz.
No, you can't.

Ok ok. But layzer can, right? He's my absolute hero here. He can do anything. He's like Superman and Batman united. And Catwoman.

chk071 wrote:Ok ok. But layzer can, right? He's my absolute hero here. He can do anything. He's like Superman and Batman united. And Catwoman.
Don't forget Joker, Penguin, Mr. Freeze, Two Face, False Face, King Tut, Riddler, Egghead, Mad Hatter, Poison Ivy, Sandman, Minstral, Chandel/Harry, Marsha Queen of Diamonds and Bookworm.

True. Those also, and then some. :P

....and for us mortals there's this great synth called PolyM ! :party:

wagtunes wrote:
chk071 wrote:Ok ok. But layzer can, right? He's my absolute hero here. He can do anything. He's like Superman and Batman united. And Catwoman.
Don't forget Joker, Penguin, Mr. Freeze, Two Face, False Face, King Tut, Riddler, Egghead, Mad Hatter, Poison Ivy, Sandman, Minstral, Chandel/Harry, Marsha Queen of Diamonds and Bookworm.
...and Margaret Thatcher !

:P

Being released in a few days! I'm a little less excited after listening to all the demo links in the newsletter, but still interested.

Looking forward to the PolyM !

Have they said anything about the price, or upgrade possibilities for users already owning XILS gear ?

Return to “Instruments”