Splice rent to own Serum plan, what do you think?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://splice.com/features/plugins

It looks like a similar model to their sample plan where you cna stop and start again but you can make monthly installments and pay it off but you can pay it off while using it which i've not seen before and the fact that it's Serum makes it too good to pass up trying. Wow, big props to Steve Duda.

Initially i thought it was a rental scheme like SSD but no! I've thought about Serum but the upfront cost is over what i'd normally pay these days.

So what do you think of this model?
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

musikmachine wrote:So what do you think of this model?
Think it's awesome! :tu:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

So lets say you have paid 5 installments ($100) and can pay no more.

You aint got the money anymore, and you aint got the plug either

Numanoid wrote:So lets say you have paid 5 installments ($100) and can pay no more.

but you can continue the plan later, and your 5 installments still be there. And 5 installments are $50, not $100.

waltercruz wrote:but you can continue the plan later, and your 5 installments still be there. And 5 installments are $50, not $100.
Yeah, but what if it takes some time, and you need to render a track with the plug, and you can't
use it in the meantime.

I thought I saw stated in the market place that installements are $20 per month, but you are right it is 10 bucks per month. But nevertheless the argument is the same, what happens after 10 installments and having paid $100, if a user runs into money problems...

What's next: Rent-a-plug ?

19 x 9.99

hmm... Maybe it's a good idea. By example, U$ 190 on Brazil is ~R$600,00 - almost a month of rent in various places here.

And ... if you need to render track again months after.... just pay another $10. :)

Numanoid wrote:
waltercruz wrote:but you can continue the plan later, and your 5 installments still be there. And 5 installments are $50, not $100.
Yeah, but what if it takes some time, and you need to render a track with the plug, and you can't
use it in the meantime.
Than you will need to pay 10 bucks installment for that month, if you don't have 10 bucks, why are you even making music, go get a job instead.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Gonna be interesting to see if it catches on, with other devs too.

Numanoid wrote:So lets say you have paid 5 installments ($100) and can pay no more.

It says you can cancel your payment plan, but also "Resume your plan to pick up right where you left off." I generally don't like subscription models for software, but this is actually about paying for the full license in monthly chunks, with a chance to put the payments on hold. If it works out otherwise (Splice staying in the business, I mean), I think it's a nice option. Something I'd like to see more, yeah.

Zexila wrote:if you don't have 10 bucks, why are you even making music, go get a job instead.
:o

I thought this forum was inhabitated by penny pinchers only.

Suddenly everybody got their wallet wide open :D

Guenon wrote:It says you can cancel your payment plan, but also "Resume your plan to pick up right where you left off." I generally don't like subscription models for software, but this is actually about paying for the full license in monthly chunks, with a chance to put the payments on hold. If it works out otherwise (Splice staying in the business, I mean), I think it's a nice option. Something I'd like to see more, yeah.
I think it is interesting, even though I play the devils advocate :borg:

Cakewalk have dabbled with the same kind of thing with subscription plan, yet they ended up this summer offering lifetime updates as the big new thing instead.

A 20 months downpayment is not so different from a sub plan, for what happens after having paid down Serum v1, and then the next month v2 launches.

Numanoid wrote:
Zexila wrote:if you don't have 10 bucks, why are you even making music, go get a job instead.
:o

I thought this forum was inhabitated by penny pinchers only.

Suddenly everybody got their wallet wide open :D
Pretty neat deal I guess, maybe even a game changer, would be nice if this catches up with more devs, newcomers these days would have really good thing going on fast, get few essential things, make music all the time with them. :tu:

Does someone know how the actual DRM is handled? Like, assuming it's obviously a version of the plugin you need to reinstall or reactivate every month after you have paid for that month, but how does this work in practice?

Hm, this sounds brilliant. But how many payments do i have to achieve to finally own Serum? Not much "hard" info on that website...

chk071 wrote:Hm, this sounds brilliant. But how many payments do i have to achieve to finally own Serum? Not much info on that website...
As many as you need to accumulate the full retail price. They say it's exactly that amount, no more.

Return to “Instruments”