Splice rent to own Serum plan, what do you think?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I enjoyed a lot the Formula Parser section :D It is easy to understand as well, except one thing I couldn't understand well. The 'if' or '?' function. I know them by themselves and I know how to use them, but how to compute the result?!
Maybe the missing link there for you is : which is "else".

Take the example formula preset "squarify" which removes even harmonics from the wavetable via FFT:
((q%2)==1)?in:0

This is saying, if the FFT harmonic (q) is odd (%2==1, e.g. bin 1,3,5) then allow it to remain (in) or else become silent (0).

bitcrusher wrote:
I enjoyed a lot the Formula Parser section :D It is easy to understand as well, except one thing I couldn't understand well. The 'if' or '?' function. I know them by themselves and I know how to use them, but how to compute the result?!
Maybe the missing link there for you is : which is "else".

Take the example formula preset "squarify" which removes even harmonics from the wavetable via FFT:
((q%2)==1)?in:0

This is saying, if the FFT harmonic (q) is odd (%2==1, e.g. bin 1,3,5) then allow it to remain (in) or else become silent (0).
Thank you Steve. Yes I know the else (:) in the (?) statement, but I didn't know how the values are progressing. I mean the loop. But, I thought of it as math later rather than programming languages and I remembered in the manual you said that Z can be in the range -1 > Z > +1, so 0 > X > 1 and 0 > Y > 1 ( I really hope that I got it :oops: ).

About your examples, wow! I really need to look for some algorithm refreshing books as I remember the odd and even numbers now. Thanks a lot :)

I hope you will expand this part in the modulation parameters to make Serum really unique. Especially that the math just needs a secondary school level. Maybe in Serum 2 (with easy to use step sequencer please :pray: )

whyterabbyt wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
kelldammit wrote:This is a really slick way to go, and finally tipped the scales for me.
Thank you kindly, Mr. Duda!

"Onward to world domination. $9.99 at a time." :D
and when you have 10 synths under payment, you will be paying $100 a month and then you could just buy them one by one anyway.
but 'you' would have all those ten synths for all ten of those months, which some people might prefer.
+1

Z can be in the range -1 > Z > +1, so 0 > X > 1 and 0 > Y > 1
W is the sample position in the table (X axis) 0 to 1.
X is the sample position in the table (X axis) -1 to 1.
Y is table pos (which table) -1 to 1.
Z is the table pos (which table) 0 to 1.

I'd probably re-think those variable names/order if it were not too late. Keep in mind you can always simply type the letter as a formula (e.g. just x as your formula) to see the value range on the Y axis.
Maybe in Serum 2 (with easy to use step sequencer please :pray:
I incrementally add things in updates. Updates are always free (as Serum 2 would be, if or when that happens). Is shift-dragging on the LFO not easy for step sequencing? or do you rather mean note triggering, like an arp?

bitcrusher wrote:
Z can be in the range -1 > Z > +1, so 0 > X > 1 and 0 > Y > 1
W is the sample position in the table (X axis) 0 to 1.
X is the sample position in the table (X axis) -1 to 1.
Y is table pos (which table) -1 to 1.
Z is the table pos (which table) 0 to 1.

I'd probably re-think those variable names/order if it were not too late. Keep in mind you can always simply type the letter as a formula (e.g. just x as your formula) to see the value range on the Y axis.
Oh I got them all wrong then :hihi: Thank you Steve, I need to write them somewhere now.
Maybe in Serum 2 (with easy to use step sequencer please :pray:
I incrementally add things in updates. Updates are always free (as Serum 2 would be, if or when that happens). Is shift-dragging on the LFO not easy for step sequencing? or do you rather mean note triggering, like an arp?
The problem is that there is no indicator (or I don't know how to do it!). I think there is a simple solution for it. If you make a preset/setup for a LFO, that can give us info what semitone the step is at, that would be wonderful. For example, LFO 1 50% (or any proper ratio) modulates semitones of osc 1, that when I make the steps on the lines indicated, it will be an exact semitone different ( 0 for what I press, and other steps for minus or plus semitones). I mean something like that, so I don't need to compare by my ear if it is now exactly at D# for example or at D.
Or
An easy to use cutdown version of Cthulhu step sequenser with on/off/tie...etc (that would be ideal of course :D )

Thanks a lot for your replies :)

Hello guys , i'm about to paid to own the full version , can some explain me the transition bewteen the rent and the full version ? What 's happen ?

It all makes too much sense.

Serum is never on sale.. right?
Paying 10 coins a month 'til full/normal price + use it right away... is just great.

+the shift-drag to draw steps is fun. (Maybe add the ability to grab some breakpoints and shift/copy/paste. ..Which would also mean more knobs/buttons/choices.
- WonderEcho -

bitcrusher wrote:I incrementally add things in updates. Updates are always free (as Serum 2 would be, if or when that happens). Is shift-dragging on the LFO not easy for step sequencing? or do you rather mean note triggering, like an arp?
You've just mentioned the one thing that was holding me back from subscribing (other than the fact that the current Plugin Boutique deal makes it a bit cheaper overall and includes a few extras). I was worried that I'd finish paying and then have to pay for a v2 upgrade.

hivkorn wrote:Hello guys , i'm about to paid to own the full version , can some explain me the transition bewteen the rent and the full version ? What 's happen ?
Do you mean you are currently renting it and want to pay the rest of the sum?
In that case contact Splice and ask them how to pay the rest of it, then you will receive a license and you won't be required to run Splice service if you want.

But, if you mean you want to start renting, then it is easy! Fill in the form Splice gives you (including your payment method) and start downloading the trial for three days (full version), then you have till the third day to decide, either cancel payment or leave it as it is and your account will be charched $10 for one month. You can pay more if you want, but I think you should contact Splice and ask them because the Automatic payment is $10 per month. You pay till you fulfill the full price of Serum, then you own the license (like those who buy it directly in cash).

You need to run the Splice service from time to time (I really don't know the exact period). I'm running it about every 3 days to check for updates (Serum updates), but normally I have the service off.

Personally, I find Splice's plan excellent. I really don't feel the burden of the full price or I must cut from other expenses and save.

EnGee wrote:
hivkorn wrote:Hello guys , i'm about to paid to own the full version , can some explain me the transition bewteen the rent and the full version ? What 's happen ?
Do you mean you are currently renting it and want to pay the rest of the sum?
In that case contact Splice and ask them how to pay the rest of it, then you will receive a license and you won't be required to run Splice service if you want.

But, if you mean you want to start renting, then it is easy! Fill in the form Splice gives you (including your payment method) and start downloading the trial for three days (full version), then you have till the third day to decide, either cancel payment or leave it as it is and your account will be charched $10 for one month. You can pay more if you want, but I think you should contact Splice and ask them because the Automatic payment is $10 per month. You pay till you fulfill the full price of Serum, then you own the license (like those who buy it directly in cash).

You need to run the Splice service from time to time (I really don't know the exact period). I'm running it about every 3 days to check for updates (Serum updates), but normally I have the service off.

Personally, I find Splice's plan excellent. I really don't feel the burden of the full price or I must cut from other expenses and save.
:) I will have the money to paid it (i rent it only for 1 month) completely.Even if the splice system is not a pain , i'd really like to have the 'free of splice' licence ;)
Thx for the reply.Nicolas

The part about Splice scanning the hard drive without asking...for those folks not wanting to upload or share projects, is this scanning and uploading too? That wouldn't be good. Seems like Splice is invasive if scanning or uploading cant be turned off.

It scans Ableton folders and FL Studio ones only (in Windows) and list all the projects to be ready to upload, but nothing get uploaded to your Splice account if you don't click 'upload'. Yes, I agree it's not a good design, but I hope it will be updated soon.

Anyway, there are two options I have disabled. The first is the 'sync' option by right clicking the icon of Splice in the taskbar, and not to start with Windows in the preferences.

As I said, you don't have to run it all the time! Only when Serum tells you something about authorisation, ... etc. Even when you see 'Splice offline' written on Serum, it still functions normally :)
For me, I don't mind the small negatives, but I hope it becomes lighter with options to use only as authoriser at first, then we could choose to run other services that Splice provided. Personally, I'm not interested in samples or presets, but many people do.

I jumped on the rent to own Serum immediately. However, I may not be able to continue to use it. No matter whether or not I have sync checked or not. No matter whether I have sync splice folder only, checked or not, the client continues to scan ALL media sources. Obviously this is very undesirable for many reasons. The support team graciously sent me a BETA that they thought would solve the issue but did not. I hope they continue to ask for my logs as they have, and find a fix.  I can not setup a DMZ for just one plugin.

Quick clarifications, uploads to Splice are absolutely optional (unlike mentioned earlier) and can be totally turned off. However, we did notice that on Windows even when turning off this option, we are still scanning for new projects. This is a bug and as @tko1970 mentioned we are working on fixing this. This is a little bit more problematic than one might think due to the Windows APIs and I expect we should see a fix soon (we certainly want to make sure we don't break the scanning for users who do backup their projects). We should have caught that during the QA phase but we didn't. We are working as fast as possible to fix this issue.

In regards to the DMZ, I think you are referring to a network DMZ and in that case, I am sorry but you have to have Splice running to use the Rent-To-Own feature. The way it works is that you need to re-authorize your plugin and have to be online at least once every 3 days. We opted for this option instead of constant connection because we know that some of us go off the grid and produce on the road/offline.

As soon as the scanning is fixed I will jump right back in there.
You guys obviously know how awesome this model is. I hope it continues to make financial sense for you.
I have spent too much money on Reason RE's, and there are a lot of other plugins I would like to own.
Taking the bite out of the larger price tags is definitely a way to keep me putting more money into
plugins, unfortunately.
One other note, since you so graciously took the time to let us know you guys were taking this seriously,
the entry in startup \AppData\Local\Splice\SPLICE~1.WIN\SPLICE~1.EXE -startup remains after uninstallation and
the executable is left behind in that directory as well. This continues to try and execute on boot.
Of course, this may be isolated to my system, but I thought you would like to know.
Removing the two items solves the issue.

Thank you for the information!

Return to “Instruments”