Soft synth similar to Tal-Uno-LX?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TAL-BassLine-101 TAL-U-No-LX

After a while, relying on something as heavy (and perhaps reliant) on FX and modulation, as Omnisphere, I've grown fond of the Uno-LX, because of the simple workflow and clean sound. It's reassured me that the less-is-more-policy still holds true.
I suppose the tone of the synth can be considered a bit tame and soft, which initially didn't get me excited, but then again, you can't really go "wrong" with the sound, like with most other synths. (Ugh, Omnisphere's EDM-library)
I haven't yet heard a preset that actually sounded uncomfortable to my ears, nor have managed to make a one!

-Consistent sound, (no harsh higher frequencies/little use for volume knob required) which I think has a lot to do with...
-...Clean sound/signal path
-Easy/simple to edit
The modulation-options are awfully limited though, but I suppose that's the downside and even then there's the upside to that one: Not having to jump through endless modulation chains when assembling/disassembling a patch.
-Flexibility for various genres

I think Diva fits your requirements very well.

It's more complex then Uno-LX, but it's still very easy to edit.

Do you actually own TAL-U-NO-LX? For free, you should check out TAL-Noisemaker which was TAL's workhorse VA synth before going payware. That one will sound much like the TAL-U-NO-LX though, because it also seems to be modelled on Roland synths. It's very nice though, and easily dismissed. Payware wise, there is Retrologue from Steinberg, which as a very simple layout. I must admit though that i'm not too fond of its sound. Freeware like TAL-Noisemaker, Charlatan, or Tyrell N6 are ahead sound quality wise IMO. Actually, you really should try those out first, before looking for payware. Maybe they already suit your needs. All very nice sounding, AND simple.

Have you tried TAL Bassline 101? I'm just creating a sound collection for it and love it's sound/limited architecture, it's definitely another can't go wrong synth and the sequencer is excellent. Sticking the TAL chorus after it sounds great too. Be warned that the intermittent 'you are using the demo' noise in the demo of bassline 101 is very excessive and quite painful, I'm not sure why it has to be that loud!

Another would be sunrizer which is fairly basic in the MOD department, you basically morph between 2 states with the Mod Wheel and has a very different sound to Uno-LX which would probably complement nicely, it's great for Pads as it has a really nice reverb.

Finally another simple great sounding synth is charlatan 2 which is free and has one of the nicest hypersaws going for my taste.

This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

chk071 wrote:Do you actually own TAL-U-NO-LX? For free, you should check out TAL-Noisemaker which was TAL's workhorse VA synth before going payware. That one will sound much like the TAL-U-NO-LX though, because it also seems to be modelled on Roland synths. It's very nice though, and easily dismissed. Payware wise, there is Retrologue from Steinberg, which as a very simple layout. I must admit though that i'm not too fond of its sound. Freeware like TAL-Noisemaker, Charlatan, or Tyrell N6 are ahead sound quality wise IMO. Actually, you really should try those out first, before looking for payware. Maybe they already suit your needs. All very nice sounding, AND simple.
Yes, I own it and I think Tyrell N6 is very good too. The UI isn't the most inviting though. I'll try Charlatan and take a look at Bassline 101.

Aryaroman wrote:After a while, relying on something as heavy (and perhaps reliant) on FX and modulation, as Omnisphere, I've grown fond of the Uno-LX, because of the simple workflow and clean sound. It's reassured me that the less-is-more-policy still holds true.
I suppose the tone of the synth can be considered a bit tame and soft, which initially didn't get me excited, but then again, you can't really go "wrong" with the sound, like with most other synths. (Ugh, Omnisphere's EDM-library)
I haven't yet heard a preset that actually sounded uncomfortable to my ears, nor have managed to make a one!

-Consistent sound, (no harsh higher frequencies/little use for volume knob required) which I think has a lot to do with...
-...Clean sound/signal path
-Easy/simple to edit
The modulation-options are awfully limited though, but I suppose that's the downside and even then there's the upside to that one: Not having to jump through endless modulation chains when assembling/disassembling a patch.
-Flexibility for various genres
It's a Juno 6/60 emulation. I owned a Juno 6 from 1983 to 1990. Tal sounds pretty close to a Juno 6/60 which has that characteristic soft silky sound. It's very nice but not the most versatile synth in that it can't really do powerful heavy rich sounds (the original, not the plugin). But that's why it has that sound.

You can get something like that sound with Diva, as mentioned. but it's not quite the same. The Arturia Jupiter 8 is also good for that kind of sound.

Lush 101 is worth a look:

http://d16.pl/lush-101

Re-Pro One when it is finalized will be a similar synth. Exceptional sound quality with very wide easy sweet spots and simple editing.

pdxindy wrote:Re-Pro One when it is finalized will be a similar synth. Exceptional sound quality with very wide easy sweet spots and simple editing.
Thats an SCI Pro-oneemulation, no? a very different beast than a Juno-6. in you are going for the Juno sound I wouldnt so much look at a Pro-one emulation, which is Curtis chip based, than a real Juno emulation.

Im looking for a 2nd hand license for Tal-u-no-lx if anyone has one.

I think the main criterias were simplicity, a clean sound, and flexibility, not so much that it sounds exactly like a Roland synth.

Simplicity and flexibility, yup that goes well together for sure :?

chk071 wrote:I think the main criterias were simplicity, a clean sound, and flexibility, not so much that it sounds exactly like a Roland synth.
Spire is capable of some really clean silky sounds and is pretty easy to use. I wouldnt say Lush is that though: its more punchy and "dirty" and not the easiest to use.

I don't understand peoples' love for Charlatan. Personally I think it sounds pretty crappy, but I'll have to accept we are all different individuals :)

When it comes to similarity to TAL-U-NO-LX, shouldn't AudioRealism's ReDominator be one of the closer one? I know, it's not a Juno 6/60, but afaik it's modeled after Alpha Juno 1/2. When it comes to free plugins, I like Archetype Instruments Lokomotiv (much better than Charlatan tbh).
Last edited by starflakeprj on Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

plexuss wrote:
chk071 wrote:I think the main criterias were simplicity, a clean sound, and flexibility, not so much that it sounds exactly like a Roland synth.
Spire is capable of some really clean silky sounds and is pretty easy to use.
Yeah. :tu: Dunno if it isn't a bit overkill, when something like TAL-U-NO-LX is wanted, but for VA sound, and for an advanced amount of flexibility, it's definitely a good suggestion.

Return to “Instruments”