Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Legend

Indeed sounds more you search for a modular.
The modular with "real" Minimoog sound plus million options more is P900 (but only mac).
Otherwise i´m no expert but a Minimoog sound like a Minimoog because it focus on a few things but there it might be the holy grail.
Even Moog´s own software emulation does not much more than the hardware reissue (beside 4 voices and some FX on top).
Like i said, i can do most (but not all) Minimoog sounds with a modular but then it loose the main thing. One page synth with fast musical results.
Call me crazy but i find indeed now that The Legend has almost too many parameters to tweak and choose (maybe the reason i much prefer the plug and play power i feel with the app).
But you could build a monster MaxiMoog with Reaktor f.e. if you have patience to learn it.
Also you can use The Legend filter as FX to put that Moog sound somewhere else.

The Legend is the Best sounding Minimoog emulation that I have heard in software! Congrats Synapse! 8) :)

Yeah. You are all right within your own context and I am I fact (very) happy that I now got a real sounding mini MOOG vst for 90 euros in the arsenal. I mean how crazy is that? How much is an original hardware unit right now? Man I am not Vince Clark and cannot afford to rent or buy a hangar filled completely with every synthesizer ever built plus maintaining them :hihi:

Wow man. P900... sounds great but I am running CUBASE on a PC system.

A dream for me would be if SYNAPSE would take their fantastic sounding emulation as a base for a real MOOG modular system. I will ask them if there is any chance that that will happen. I love modular and if they would build a full MOOG modular system so true and real sounding like the LEGEND I would pay 500 bucks for it. :P

Want crazy endless modulation for any synth plugin you want? Get Bitwig.

On a side note, This time limited demo is really annoying. Every once in a while I think, maybe I'll try the Legend again. And then remember oh yeah, my demo period is up. Can't try it again. That is the worse way to make sales I can imagine. I'm no need for a moog since I have Monark, however if I could try the demo every once in a while to see if it filled a gap or did something that I was looking for better than what I have. Time limited demos don' tallow that casual check-in.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:Want crazy endless modulation for any synth plugin you want? Get Bitwig.

On a side note, This time limited demo is really annoying. Every once in a while I think, maybe I'll try the Legend again. And then remember oh yeah, my demo period is up. Can't try it again. That is the worse way to make sales I can imagine. I'm no need for a moog since I have Monark, however if I could try the demo every once in a while to see if it filled a gap or did something that I was looking for better than what I have. Time limited demos don' tallow that casual check-in.
But does Bitwig modulate at audio rate?
Simple envelopes and slow LFO‘s might not replace a real modular set-up.

No host can modulate at audio rate, it's all limited to the audio buffer size - unless the host AND plugin in question support sample accurate automation, which not many actually do.

I would argue that you don't necessarily NEED audio rate modulation if you just want to liven up the sound a little bit (due to the plugin not offering certain modulation possibilities).

EvilDragon wrote:No host can modulate at audio rate, it's all limited to the audio buffer size - unless the host AND plugin in question support sample accurate automation, which not many actually do.

I would argue that you don't necessarily NEED audio rate modulation if you just want to liven up the sound a little bit (due to the plugin not offering certain modulation possibilities).
Thank‘s.
And because of that a DAW won‘t replace a modular set-up yet.
Of course i dream for the day where all plug-ins and DAW‘s offer zero delay feedback and audio rate at anything i could imagine :)

Zero delay feedback is impossible in a DAW. In fact, majority of DAWs won't even allow you to have feedback routing - for obvious reasons. Reaper has an option for that, though. :)

nichttuntun wrote:I don't need one. Want one.
U N I S O N : shoegaze/electronic wall of sound with heavenly voice
https://soundcloud.com/weareunison / https://www.facebook.com/unison666 / https://weareunison.com/

If you have Reason, then you might be interested in the Rack Extension, which has much more modulation inside Reason :love:
The_Legend_RE_Back.png
If you have the VSTi version, you can get the RE version for free, but your license of the VSTi would be NFR (which I didn't' mind and got it because the VSTi is a keeper anyway ;) )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cinebient wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:Want crazy endless modulation for any synth plugin you want? Get Bitwig.

But does Bitwig modulate at audio rate?
Simple envelopes and slow LFO‘s might not replace a real modular set-up.
Bitwig does indeed have audio rate modulation though how anplugin parameter handles that is another question.

So, in majority of cases, it won't be audio rate because great majority of plugins don't support sample accurate automation (i.e. all VST2 plugins, and despite VST3 introducing sample accurate automation, not even Steinberg's own seem to support it, ironically, AFAIK).

EvilDragon wrote:So, in majority of cases, it won't be audio rate because great majority of plugins don't support sample accurate automation (i.e. all VST2 plugins, and despite VST3 introducing sample accurate automation, not even Steinberg's own seem to support it, ironically, AFAIK).
Does that mean i could use sample accurate automation as kind of audio rate modulation.
F.e. if i use very fast LFO‘s like the Cableguys stuff to modulate a filter cutoff in a synth which doesn‘t has itself fast LFO‘s or OSC as modulation source?

Only if the plugin and host supports sample accurate automation, yeah, you can modulate up to Nyquist limit (half the sample rate) without aliasing.

nichttuntun wrote:After delving further in the depths of The Legend I really ask why the developers didn't give this awesome sounding VST some more modulation options. It sounds really fantastic but is totally boring regarded on the long run.

I compared it with my still unbeatable hardware synth Waldorf PULSE 1 which has also 3 OSCs, cross modulation and Sync and a fully analog filter and that beast sounds simular to a MOOG and has a similar concept BUT it has several freely choosable modulation sources with which you can make totally creative unusual sounds in no time.

In my opinion the bone dry PULSE beats The Legend with ease due to the sound sculpture possibilities.

Why are such features missing in The Legend??? Yes it may be great to have the low budget possibility to sound like the cult synthesizer of the 70th. But at the same time it is so limiting that you only can sound like the original. I think it is not creative at all to mimic sounds - legendary or not - heard a million time before.

Here I have to positively point out the way GForce went with their great ODDITY2 - it's pure modulation and sound design heaven plus having the original core character of the real ARP transported to the modern time.

What do you think? Cheers.
Because it won’t sound like a Moog anymore once you do that. It’s the limitations which enable it to be an exacting emulation of a Model D. If you want more options there is Dune 2, that does a lot more. And yes they are going to add the tech in the Legend to Dune but it won’t sound the same because the parameter ranges are wider in Dune.
Last edited by v1o on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Return to “Instruments”