Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Legend

This thread is a Legend!

wagtunes wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:
nichttuntun wrote:Yes it helps in certain situations...on the same level it can cause much misunderstandings (fail interpretations). Technically we all have the same abilities but our mindbased emotional reaction will be different. One can say 100 people hear 100 different things because 100 minds cause 100 different states within split seconds.
It depends. When it is a sound or song we already know, we often have memories associated with it. So it is more the memory we hear rather than the music as such, especially with strong memories (first love, birth of child etc.).
But with new sounds and songs I do think we all hear pretty much the same and interpret it more or less the same way, at least with people from the same culture. For instance I can't tell whether an Indian song is happy or sad because their music is so different and I don't understand the lyrics.

(snip) You have absolutely no idea what I hear and I have absolutely no idea what you hear. So to make a blanket statement that everybody hears things the same is just flat out wrong purely from a physiological standpoint. Your ears and my ears are not the same.
Hi,
I think Wagtunes made an essential point stated in his first sentence above. Our sensations (touch/ smell/ hear/ see/ taste/ / feel/ the mind) is in absolutely no way transferable from one being to another being.

As I said 100 people hear 100 differnt things I meant that literally.

I think nearly all of us are often hearing (and so on) just a copy of what is actually there (energy / sonic waves). It seems like this construct is a form of the true thing covered under a kind of curtain. This "colored" copy may result of being that certain person who is listening***, how much focused that person is at that moment, how much of a "self" of that person is present at that moment and how emotional influenced (clear minded or in a state of expectation, joy, anger, and so on) that person is in that moment. How strong are the preferences that person learned and trained his hole life and how strong are sympathy and antipathy accordingly based on that factors. In addition all this parameters will not be the same at any given time. Their output will always differ because they are mind-made and the mind is the fastest super-computer imaginable. Without understanding and having a certain distance to one self, the mind is the boss and therefor it will never be save if "YOU" hear something you like or dislike or if YOU are just performed by your coloring mind. Without the state of mind while meditating I think it is impossible to recognize ourselves where or when the "coloring" begins and how strong we are influenced from it so to speak how far we are away to see and hear things like they really are.

I tried to put it as simple as I could. I am aware that there are no really fitting words which could allow me to explain and describe these mechanisms in detail. And to express things in the language english is hard for me too. I clearly want to state that I don´t want to make a principle-discussion out of that...and to bring back the connection to music, I want to finish like this:
Many musicians are meditating (music in India e.g. is a meditation itsself / Herbie Hancock is a practical Bhuddist e.g.) and I think there is a certain connection between both states, meaning the state of mind while making music and the state of mind while practicing meditation. In both states you are able to forget yourself and all other mind-made-up-conceps. Thats a great thing for making music as I think.

***I think we are not all the same as many ZEN- or buddhist-people stated and at the same time I think we are all the same...but - and that is a crucial position as I am aware - we all differ due to our developed degree of sympathy and antipathy.

Stefken wrote:I have a master (5 year) in theoretical psychology
You could make a career out of analyzing the nut jobs around here. :lol:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:
Stefken wrote:I have a master (5 year) in theoretical psychology
You could make a career out of analyzing the nut jobs around here. :lol:
I don't have that much time :lol: .

nichttuntun wrote:I think Wagtunes made an essential point stated in his first sentence above. Our sensations (touch/ smell/ hear/ see/ taste/ / feel/ the mind) is in absolutely no way transferable from one being to another being.

As I said 100 people hear 100 differnt things I meant that literally.

I think nearly all of us are often hearing (and so on) just a copy of what is actually there (energy / sonic waves). It seems like this construct is a form of the true thing covered under a kind of curtain. This "colored" copy may result of being that certain person who is listening***, how much focused that person is at that moment, how much of a "self" of that person is present at that moment and how emotional influenced (clear minded or in a state of expectation, joy, anger, and so on) that person is in that moment. How strong are the preferences that person learned and trained his hole life and how strong are sympathy and antipathy accordingly based on that factors. In addition all this parameters will not be the same at any given time. Their output will always differ because they are mind-made and the mind is the fastest super-computer imaginable. Without understanding and having a certain distance to one self, the mind is the boss and therefor it will never be save if "YOU" hear something you like or dislike or if YOU are just performed by your coloring mind. Without the state of mind while meditating I think it is impossible to recognize ourselves where or when the "coloring" begins and how strong we are influenced from it so to speak how far we are away to see and hear things like they really are.

I tried to put it as simple as I could. I am aware that there are no really fitting words which could allow me to explain and describe these mechanisms in detail. And to express things in the language english is hard for me too. I clearly want to state that I don´t want to make a principle-discussion out of that...and to bring back the connection to music, I want to finish like this:
Many musicians are meditating (music in India e.g. is a meditation itsself / Herbie Hancock is a practical Bhuddist e.g.) and I think there is a certain connection between both states, meaning the state of mind while making music and the state of mind while practicing meditation. In both states you are able to forget yourself and all other mind-made-up-conceps. Thats a great thing for making music as I think.

***I think we are not all the same as many ZEN- or buddhist-people stated and at the same time I think we are all the same...but - and that is a crucial position as I am aware - we all differ due to our developed degree of sympathy and antipathy.
But what you describe is the interpretation, the perception. The coloring happens in our brains, not in our ears or eyes.

Since you mention taste, our taste buds work the same, but our sense of taste is in our brains. I.e. some people's brains interpret the same chemical data as delicious, others not so much.

fluffy_little_something wrote: Perception happens in the brain, which is known to be flexible. But the ears hear the same and the eyes see the same. That data is then processed in the brain. It is the brain that inverts floor and ceiling again in order to correct the first inversion. The eyes don't invert anything. They continue to send the inverted data to the brain.
No, my example was in fact a cognitive one (the person stayed the same, the eyes stayed the same, the glasses stayed the same, but the brain adapted). So, in this case you are right.

But each person is different both in anatomy, fysiology and 'psychology' and each of these factors play a role in the perception.

fluffy_little_something wrote:The coloring happens in our brains, not in our ears or eyes.
The eyes use cones and rods to perceive on the physiological level (see it an as input device).
People who have malfunctioning cones, don't see colors. Nothing to do with the brain though.

Stefken wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote: Perception happens in the brain, which is known to be flexible. But the ears hear the same and the eyes see the same. That data is then processed in the brain. It is the brain that inverts floor and ceiling again in order to correct the first inversion. The eyes don't invert anything. They continue to send the inverted data to the brain.
No, my example was in fact a cognitive one (the person stayed the same, the eyes stayed the same, the glasses stayed the same, but the brain adapted). So, in this case you are right.

But each person is different both in anatomy, fysiology and 'psychology' and each of these factors play a role in the perception.
Healthy people differ little anatomically/physiologically. Some are taller, others darker, yes, but the way we work inside is basically the same (which is one reason we are genetically compatible, and not with other species).

Stefken wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:The coloring happens in our brains, not in our ears or eyes.
The eyes use cones and rods to perceive on the physiological level (see it an as input device).
People who have malfunctioning cones, don't see colors. Nothing to do with the brain though.
Of course, I never claimed that people with eye problems see the same as healthy people. But fortunately, color blindness etc. are the exception (in Europeans 8% in men and 0.5% in women).

https://knowledgenuts.com/2016/03/31/wh ... fferently/

..."it has at least something to do with the way our skulls are shaped, and the variations in individual bone structures likely has something to do with why we hear the same noise in a slightly different way".

Saying we all hear the same is like saying we can all run the same speed because we all have legs.

Anyway WTF does this have to with The Legend ?

Oh now I've gone and done it.....I've joined the loony bin....... :dog:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

fluffy_little_something wrote:but the way we work inside is basically the same
Which is as insightfull as saying that all synthesizers are basically the same.
Which is true on some level, but not very insightfull.

How about that Legend?

FLS. here is the problem with your whole argument and what YOU don't seem to understand.

Yes, biologically, we all have human ears and eyes. They are basically the same at the core level for each person, meaning cell wise, structure wise or whatever the actual technical term is. I am not a scientist or doctor so I don't know what the term actually is.

However, that same structure in all of us has very little to do with how we ultimately interpret sight and sound.

Defects
Brain Differences
Cultural Differences

Just off the top of my head GREATLY affect how we perceive sight and sound.

You are trying to separate the two. You cannot do this. Saying that everybody has the same biological ears and eyes is the stupidest DUH statement on the face of this planet. Of course we do, provided we all have ears and eyes. Again, defects (birth being very common) even make that statement false.

For that matter, we might as well just say we are all human beings and therefor all basically receive impulses the same way. So what? Who cares? It's totally irrelevant to any conversation that has any meaning at all.

In practice, you and I do NOT hear even a simple sawtooth wave the same way. No two people do. And so claim otherwise is just being stubborn and/or ignorant.

Teksonik wrote:https://knowledgenuts.com/2016/03/31/wh ... fferently/

..."it has at least something to do with the way our skulls are shaped, and the variations in individual bone structures likely has something to do with why we hear the same noise in a slightly different way".

Saying we all hear the same is like saying we can all run the same speed because we all have legs.

Anyway WTF does this have to with The Legend ?

Oh now I've gone and done it.....I've joined the loony bin....... :dog:
Now you know how I feel.

Interesting, Tek, but they are just guessing for the most part (lots of might, seems).

Of course the ear is tied to prowess, via the sense of balance. When I turn the balance on my headphones completely to one side I start to feel dizzy :hihi:

"When sound bounces off the structures of the inner ear, it reflects off the ear and off the bones in the head. According to the Acoustical Society of America, even the slightest differences in things like shape and bone density can make a huge difference in the vibrations that we ultimately hear. Women’s skulls tend to vibrate faster than the skulls of their male counterparts, and individuals’ recorded vibrations can vary between as much as 35–65 Hz.

That’s a huge difference, and it’s been linked to what musical chords we find pleasurable or distasteful. It suggests that our likes and dislikes of certain music styles might have a basis in the physical as much as the cultural."

I don't think that makes much sense because identical twins share the same body, yet they often like different things including genres.

Stefken wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:but the way we work inside is basically the same
Which is as insightfull as saying that all synthesizers are basically the same.
Which is true on some level, but not very insightfull.

How about that Legend?
Seems like The Legend has no ego.

Return to “Instruments”