RAPID Synthesizer | Rapid 1.8.0 released | Free "SP - Granular Elements"

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic

sircuit wrote:Anyways, @parawave: does it make technical sense (in terms of plug-in stability/CPU hit etc.) to "borrow" modulation sources between layers? Let me explain: now if I am right-clicking a knob, I have the "Modulate by.." and then it comes a selection of sources.
I'm talking about introducing a new menu in the common area for example, called "Layer", then 8 submenus, then for each layer number, the same categories - Lfo, Env, Seq. So the final result is "Modulate by.." \Layer\1\Envelope_A.
I know what you mean. We already considered this at the time where the Send-FX was implemented. At first the idea sounds exiting, but there are several issues, e.g.

Imagine layer 1 playing short chords with 3 voices. And Layer 2 playing a long pad sound with 1 voice. Now if a voice of layer 2 borrows the LFO A of layer 1, from which of the 3 voices should the LFO be borrowed? The last active one? Okay, one solution, but now all voices of layer 2 are stopped, what's now the LFO source for layer 2?
Now one could say, okay then just borrow LFO parameters of Layer 1 and handle the LFO generation in each voice. This would require 32 LFOs instead of 4, which is a lot of unessesary stuff per voice. In this case, why would one not use the layers own LFOs? Additionally, the retrigger wouldn't reacty correclty to restart and stuff. There is so much more to consider, all related to restart and syncing.

So this and the complexity of it is just not worth it. Can't imagine a lot of things where you actually need it.
But maybe you have another thing on your mind, that would solve the modulator relation between voices of different layers.

First of all, I was referring to an effective "grab" - L2's LFO A basically becomes L1's LFO E (if borrowed by L1) and behaves as such, in terms of triggering.

After writing several dozens of lines during the past hour, which ended in either cumbersome workflows or technical conflicts, this is my finall call: it is possible to set a layer to "extend" another layer by keeping just the modulation sources active and disabling the oscillators? Essentially gray-out everything non-modsource in this extended layer.

Practically how I see it: I make a sound in Layer 3. I go to the next layer (4) and check the "extend previous layer" checkbox. Layer 4 goes grey, no audio output. All mod sources in layer 4 are triggered by Layer 3's key settings. Now in the "Modulate by.." menu (on both layers), I can see sources from the Extended layer in a separate list entry, under common area.

And that's it, it was not very well thought on my part, for a fixed-architecture synth.

Sometimes i want to modulate things in two or more layers from the same LFO or envelope. It would be very useful, for example, when i have a patch using more than three oscillators or two filters.

Maybe something like a global modulation page having not only envelopes, but also lfos, sequences etc assignable to every layer? These global amp/filer envelope controls are handy, but if I want to have exactly the same amp envelope controlling 2 or more layers things are getting a bit tricky.

Also if there are alternative GUIs in the works, any chance for an alternative modmatrix view where i could overview more slots at once?

@Mirko. Thanks for the explanation. Well, it seems that this Glitch is going to be great addition to Rapid. Definitely it must be very useful specifically for psytrance.
Last edited by recursive one on Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: @Mirko. Thanks for the explanation. Well, it seems that this Glitch is going to be great addition to Rapid. Definitely it must be very useful specifically for psytrance.

Here is another example. This time a bit more complex. ;-)

https://soundcloud.com/mirkoruta/different-glitches-5

Very nice Mirko! The new fx sounds cool!I bought rapid a while ago cause i liked its main sound very much and finally sat down to try to learn the ins and outs :-) i think i mentioned it in here before, but being able to do legato in the arp would be great. (fast 8bit arpeggio without notes retriggering, i have a soft spot for those) or maybe i have missed something? Anyways, looking forward to the update Parawave!

I have a weird bug with the latest version (1.1.0). When I have 10+ Rapid instances in the project one of them may suddenly start playing out of tune, sounds like 1 semiyone higher or something. When I reload the project it goes back to normal but another instance may start playing out of tune again. Win 7, Studio One 64 bit.

Mirko R. wrote:
recursive one wrote: @Mirko. Thanks for the explanation. Well, it seems that this Glitch is going to be great addition to Rapid. Definitely it must be very useful specifically for psytrance.

Here is another example. This time a bit more complex. ;-)

https://soundcloud.com/mirkoruta/different-glitches-5
This sounds interesting. I'm familiar with Grossbeat, having something like this integrated into the synth would be very handy.

recursive one wrote:I have a weird bug with the latest version (1.1.0). When I have 10+ Rapid instances in the project one of them may suddenly start playing out of tune, sounds like 1 semiyone higher or something. When I reload the project it goes back to normal but another instance may start playing out of tune again. Win 7, Studio One 64 bit.
That's strange. Are the "wrong" presets Arps or Sequences? Is the bug continuous, I mean, when you press play, stop, and again play, should the bug already exists? Will RAPID create the bug only after loading/instanziating or also suddenly while playing? Which DAW are you using? More informations would be nice to figure out whats wrong.

I had a similar bug in the past, it happens when I load a preset which contains arps. But it was only after loading the preset and pressing a key the first time. After release and pressing the key again, the bug was gone.

Mirko R. wrote:
recursive one wrote:I have a weird bug with the latest version (1.1.0). When I have 10+ Rapid instances in the project one of them may suddenly start playing out of tune, sounds like 1 semiyone higher or something. When I reload the project it goes back to normal but another instance may start playing out of tune again. Win 7, Studio One 64 bit.
That's strange. Are the "wrong" presets Arps or Sequences? Is the bug continuous, I mean, when you press play, stop, and again play, should the bug already exists? Will RAPID create the bug only after loading/instanziating or also suddenly while playing? Which DAW are you using? More informations would be nice to figure out whats wrong.

I had a similar bug in the past, it happens when I load a preset which contains arps. But it was only after loading the preset and pressing a key the first time. After release and pressing the key again, the bug was gone.
I'm using Studio One 3, 64 bit version (Rapid is x64 too), Windows 7.

The bug happens not with the presets but with my own sounds which I made from init patch directly in the project or have made peviously and saved either wthtin the Rapid preset system or directly in the Studio One preset manager (i.e. not using the Rapid preset system). It happens also with the sounds that don't use an arp.

It looks like that: I program some midi part, when I press play it plays normal for the first time, then I stop the playback and when I play the project again one of the parts may start playing out of tune as if it received wrong notes (transposed 1 semitone). I have a project where there are about 10 active Rapid instances (and no other VSTis except for Studio One drum plugin) and it may randomly happen to each of them. Once it happened the affected part is always playing the wrong notes until I reload the project. I installed Rapid 1.1.0 only yesterday, before that this never happened. Just guessing, this may probably have something to do with that the project has been created with the old version of Rapid.

recursive one wrote:I installed Rapid 1.1.0 only yesterday, before that this never happened. Just guessing, this may probably have something to do with that the project has been created with the old version of Rapid.
It's a bit unlikely, since there were no changes regarding pitch or tuning that could causes the issue. If it never happened before it may be an accidental automation or parameter link. v 1.0.4. added VST/AU parameter recording. So maybe a hardware knob or modwheel that was linked before without noticing, only for that specific project. That could be the issue. I had a similar situation, suddenly sounds were detuned randomly. But in the end it was a broken pitch wheel :D

If it's reproducable it could be fixed. I recommend to check all parameter automations/links first though. If you found a specific cause you can mail more details to info@parawave-audio.com anytime.

parawave wrote:If it never happened before it may be an accidental automation or parameter link. v 1.0.4. added VST/AU parameter recording. So maybe a hardware knob or modwheel that was linked before without noticing, only for that specific project. That could be the issue.
Thanks, for some reason I didn't think about that, will check it out. Indeed sounds like a possible cause.

I'm f**king freaking out with this RAPID thing...I did some badass bass musicwith some RAPIDs only...it's just an little update of my previous study:
https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/para ... 01/s-zyMGF

I'm currently obsessed with the ultra-clean but nevertheless ultra-wide "bassish" sounds. And I figure that RAPID just offers the ingredience for it. Accompanied by some mixing tools it provides for the perfect base sound to work with...Tremendous beast that RAPID is. If you like I can share my presets for this little case study. Just let me know

] Peter:H [ wrote:I'm f**king freaking out with this RAPID thing...I did some badass bass musicwith some RAPIDs only...it's just an little update of my previous study:

I'm currently obsessed with the ultra-clean but nevertheless ultra-wide "bassish" sounds. And I figure that RAPID just offers the ingredience for it. Accompanied by some mixing tools it provides for the perfect base sound to work with...Tremendous beast that RAPID is. If you like I can share my presets for this little case study. Just let me know
Great sounds indeed. And yes, I'd love to go through the presets for inspirational purposes...

Regards,
tl.

] Peter:H [ wrote:I'm f**king freaking out with this RAPID thing...I did some badass bass musicwith some RAPIDs only...it's just an little update of my previous study:

Wow!!
Dirty and Heavy Bass :tu:
VST Mappings for Bitwig
--Bitwig 5/ Live10 Suite/ Maschine/ HP X360 8Core--

Holy cow, this sounds very interesting. Would love to test the presets. :-)

I build also something this morning and tried to create an analog sounding Key-Sound. Very small demo but I like the Loop. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKfjY_1 ... e=youtu.be

Return to “Instruments”