HISE, an open source competitor to Kontakt

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
HISE - Hart Instruments Sampler Engine

HISE is an open source audio framework for building virtual instruments and effects.

It emphasizes on sampling, but includes some basic synthesis features for making hybrid instruments. You can build patches, design a custom interface and compile them as VST / AU plugin or iOS app.
http://hartinstruments.net/hise/

HISE is built around the JUCE framework. According to its description, the sampler features include Disk Streaming, cross fade looping, Sample Start Modulation and Round Robin group.
Most importantly, HISE is scriptable via Javascript.

Check the list of features.

The license is GPL3 for free libraries, or commercial for commercial libraries. If you want to release a precompiled library (VSTi or AU), you'll need to purchase a JUCE license.
Last edited by lolilol1975 on Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thanks for the info, but aint this a better link:

http://hartinstruments.net/hise/

Yes, I had the link in the quote, actually, but it's probably easy to miss. I'll add it.

Thanks for the heads-up! This looks very impressive!

Installation went smooth, but can't I load WAV samples into the sampler ?

I get an immediate error when opening the plug:

"The preset folder 'Hart Instruments/SynthPresets' was not. It must be in the user documentation folder."

I can close down that error message luckily, but when trying to open a file, the only format it accepts is *.hip ?

Rather than Kontakt, maybe this is more a competitor for TAL Sampler ?

Disk streaming and scripting points to larger-scale applications. I'll have to check this out.

Numanoid wrote:Installation went smooth, but can't I load WAV samples into the sampler ?

"The preset folder 'Hart Instruments/SynthPresets' was not. It must be in the user documentation folder."

I can close down that error message luckily, but when trying to open a file, the only format it accepts is *.hip ?

Had the same problem both in Zynewave Podium and Renoise. Creating "Hart Instruments" folder in Documents and a "SynthPresets" subfolder fixed it.

Edit: The error dialogue that is. On Win7
Last edited by CymaticCreation on Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Numanoid wrote:Installation went smooth, but can't I load WAV samples into the sampler ?

Right now it imports sfz and AIFF files
http://hise-documentation.readthedocs.i ... ler-manual

Remember it's still a beta, or rather alpha release, so you'll have a lot of figuring out to do.

CymaticCreation wrote:Had the same problem both in Zynewave Podium and Renoise. Creating "Hart Instruments" folder in Documents and a "SynthPresets" subfolder fixed it.

I got the error in Win 10, your suggestion about adding the folders fixed it, so that is good
lolilol1975 wrote:Right now it imports sfz and AIFF files

Remember it's still a beta, or rather alpha release, so you'll have a lot of figuring out to do.
I am trying to open a SFZ file from one of my Zampler libs, but HISE does not see the SFZ files, it only want to see *.hip

Another issue: Rather high CPU usage, I get hit by about 30% just having the plug open in FL Studio 12.3

Numanoid wrote:
CymaticCreation wrote:Had the same problem both in Zynewave Podium and Renoise. Creating "Hart Instruments" folder in Documents and a "SynthPresets" subfolder fixed it.

I got the error in Win 10, your suggestion about adding the folders fixed it, so that is good
lolilol1975 wrote:Right now it imports sfz and AIFF files

I am trying to open a SFZ file from one of my Zampler libs, but HISE does not see the SFZ files, it only want to see *.hip

Another issue: Rather high CPU usage, I get hit by about 30% just having the plug open in FL Studio 12.3
Maybe you need to post that in the HISE forum for the developer to see.

I'm surprised that this thread isn't gaining more traction.
If there is one plugin that really suffers from having no competition, it's Kontakt.

Seeing how few audio formats HISE supports at the moment, it is far too early to call it a Kontakt replacement.

I can load my old AKAI sample CD's into Kontakt, and a lot of other audio formats, that goes to show it's versatility.

But Kontakt wasn't built in a day either

It is gonna take time for a new plug to establish its reputation

Numanoid wrote:Seeing how few audio formats HISE supports at the moment, it is far too early to call it a Kontakt replacement.

I can load my old AKAI sample CD's into Kontakt, and a lot of other audio formats, that goes to show it's versatility.
Yes maybe you're right. I wonder why simple wav files aren't supported yet while the more complex sfz format is. Anyway, it will eventually make it as compared to what has been achieved so far, it's a relatively simple task.
Still, it should spark some interest I think.

is the installer installing a AU instrument ?

cannot find it as a component anywhere ...doesnt shoiw up in Logic

stand alone works fine i think

Edit

oh sorry didnt read this Bit
If you want to release a precompiled library (VSTi or AU), you'll need to purchase a JUCE license.
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

lolilol1975 wrote:I'm surprised that this thread isn't gaining more traction.
If there is one plugin that really suffers from having no competition, it's Kontakt.
In my point of view, Uvi Workstation can become the Kontakt competitor.

Return to “Instruments”