One Synth Challenge #94: Synth1 (Photonic Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Welcome to the 94th One Synth Challenge! It's a friendly music competition where you can win cool prizes but most importantly, meet amazing musicians, and learn a lot about mixing, sound design, and more! :)

Click here to Vote! (Open to all at KVR who entered or have 40+ posts)

Here's How Voting Works:
  1. 1. Register here and log in, and make sure to *Read the Rules for voting*
    2. Listen to all the amazing tracks of the month , and comment on Soundcloud
    3. All tracks are scored from 1 to 5, by dragging them over.
    4. **YOU MUST score ALL tracks by the end of the day on the 15th, and if you don't vote, you are disqualified**
    5. Tell us you voted here in a forum post
    6. If you have problems, let us know :)
    7. Most importantly... have fun!

**MAKE SURE YOU READ THE RULES** | See Contest Page for latest track Submissions, Info, FAQ & More

**Voting Tip / Life Hack**

You can zoom out on the voting page to see many more tracks. Also you can use the mouse scroll wheel while dragging, or keyboard page up/ page down, or cursor keys to easily navigate the page. This is all done from the browser. To zoom out easily, just hold down ctr+mouse wheel or cmd+mouse wheel, or cmd/ctr+minus/plus keys on the keyboard.

Special Rule: Commercial Plugins Allowed for this Month Only. Let's see what happens, and then after the voting is done, we can decide once and for all on the rule (please continue the debate here).

Submissions will show up here (may be a long delay before showing up):
https://soundcloud.com/kvrosc/sets/one- ... -94-synth1

Easy page to comment on tracks: https://soundcloud.com/kvrosc/reposts

OSC Tips & Tricks

Want a chat room with other OSCers? Join our slack here

Synth 1 :wheee:

Prizes:
(Would you like to be a donator? Contact me via PM or go ahead and post your intended donation here! Get a cool mention on our donator wall of honor)

Special Note:
Ridan is offering a secondary prize (on top of the normal prize): any 1 of his soundsets. Mention the soundset you want, along with your other prize.

Aaron Jasinski : 1 copy of Clarity II fine print

NUSofting : 1 Copy of Modelonia v2

KV331 Audio : Synthmaster

Dmitry Sches : Diversion

Guda Audio : Euterpe XL

Wusik : 1 bundle of Wusik 8000, Wusik Station 8, and Wusik EVE v3

Abstract Cats Music : AbiTron Bank for Synthmaster

Squaredheads : Nora Arpeggiator plugin

JRR Shop : UVI: Mello

satYatunes : One of any commercial product

stardustmedia : Professional studio mix down and mastering on one track of your choosing (See Disclaimer)

Xenos Soundworks : Choice of any 1 product

Ghostwave Audio : Any two soundsets of Choice

Twolegs Toneworks : Any one soundset

Touch the Universe : Euterpe XL

The Unfinished : Any two soundsets of Choice

Rob Lee Music : A soundset for either: Sylenth1, Predator, Largo, Blofeld, PPGV3 or Dune

Luftrum : One soundset free of choice.

Ridan: Any one soundset as a secondary prize, on top of the regular prize.
haunting soundscapes, atmospheric chords, layered pads, anamorphic guitars,
brass and woodwind-esque, rhythmic/melodic sequences, and macabre sound effects.

Kreativ Sound: RAW Bundle
(RAW Bass, RAW Drums, RAW TranSID, RAW Textures)

Aiyn Zahev Sounds: 2 Soundsets of choice
(Uplifting Trance Presets)

Studio 13.37: Pro audio studio on a USB stick

Pooya Payvar (Stonail) : 1 custom made Max for [Ableton] Live: controller, midi or audio effect

Mulperi : 1 Soundbank of Choice

Dream Audio Tools : 1 Indie Fingers bundle (Indie Fingers volumes One and Two)

Bjulin : Inspire soundset for Zebra²

LeapIntoTheVoid : Enchantment Of Absynth Trilogy

Bluff Munkey - 2 soundsets of choice

Solidtrax : 1 Soundset of choice

Any other offers of prizes will be greatly appreciated. :hail: :hail: :hail:

Questions? Comments? Concerns? You want some love? Just post here in this thread :)

Want to try out your skills in other contests / competitions /challenges?
  • DiHalt Demoscene competitions
  • Indaba - Has a mix of popular and indie artists with various contests like remixing and song writing. Some people from OSC have had success here.
  • KVR Mix Challenge (see stickies) - Who can mix a song the best (Without adding extra recordings /musical additions)? Each person starts out with the same stems.
  • Music Cafe (KVR, see stickies) - A thematic monthly competition. Use recording, real instruments, synths and samples.
  • RemixComps - An aggregator for remix contests from a variety of artists and genres (mostly EDM) - indie and popular.
  • Soundevotion (SDCOMPO) Competition - Even longer running than the OSC, the SDCOMPO is even more niche in that you must use a tracker, and set of specific effects. Great community.
Last edited by bjporter on Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:16 pm, edited 12 times in total.

It will be the first time I use Synth1. I never even tried it all though everybody keeps talking about this synth. For me it will be fun to use commercial plugs. I don't expect it will make my music any better but maybe the workflow will be faster, and there is less risk for being disqualified. Still the usual chorus, granular, dist, etc are forbidden I assume.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

:party:
Oh yeah, lets see if driver and replika add something to this beast!
Don't forget to disable slider option if you play with keyboard and mouse, otherwise it can be quite annoying....
SynthNoel.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ohh a great synth!

Though the commercial plug-in rule irks me slightly, simply because I have virtually none. I've been dirt poor for a long time and have had to make due with around 90% free stuff. Anything that isn't free, is a synth.

Any good buys that are in the "I make very little money" range? Specifically filters, EQs, Mastering Plug-ins, Console Strips, and reverbs?

Also am I to assume that the rules about governing the use of specific types of effects still apply?
Disco flangus shenanigans

Mechanought wrote:Ohh a great synth!

Though the commercial plug-in rule irks me slightly, simply because I have virtually none. I've been dirt poor for a long time and have had to make due with around 90% free stuff. Anything that isn't free, is a synth.

Any good buys that are in the "I make very little money" range? Specifically filters, EQs, Mastering Plug-ins, Console Strips, and reverbs?

Also am I to assume that the rules about governing the use of specific types of effects still apply?
Frankly speaking, I don't Think you need to worry too much. Using some Commercial plugs doesn't automatically mean the end result will be better. Some types of plugins are still not allowed. If you didn't get it already I would recommend you to pick up the bluetube analog trackbox (plugimons) from Don't Crack. It is an excellent channel strip and one that I have been using a lot in the past (I bought it long time ago). Your tracks so far are according to my oppinion Always well mixed and mastered. That knowledge can't be bought ;) ..no fancy plugins will make a good mix and mastering.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Hmmm, this might be interesting. Good synth, if not GREAT!
Eternitysound VST Banks

How about 'magware' - for £6.25 you can pick up a copy of Computer Music for e.g. which includes a bunch of effects plugins (aswell as synths) including eq's dynamics, analysers, stereoisers, distortion and saturation, reverb etc. Many are from well known commercial vendors, and there are also tutorials on how to use them.

Ah the classic Nord Lead II based synth! What fun! :D

This thing has more presets than you can shake a high tech digitizer stick at!

Between that and the ability to use industry standard plugins *cough-presets-cough* it sounds like this is preset month. -but it's like SeamlessR says, presets don't make the track.

I recall a metaphor of baking a cake from scratch, versus the art of eating the cake. ...wait that's not it. :lol:

I've been able to make tracks with only this modest pack:

https://producersdenblog.wordpress.com/ ... ynth1-vst/ 8)
quick, _ake what you want in life

Though the commercial plug-in rule irks me slightly, simply because I have virtually none....
Watch the general discussion thread, and let your voice be heard (especially when track voting is over), as we'll be voting on the rule later. Maybe your opinion will change, maybe not

Mechanought wrote:Also am I to assume that the rules about governing the use of specific types of effects still apply?
They still apply.

So, uhm, Synth1 again...I was just looking at the rules:

"Your entry must be composed specifically for this contest"

If "this contest" simply refers to KVR OSC, I see no reason why I couldn't simply remix the song I did for the last one and enter it again in this one, eh? Maybe it'll even do better this time. In college once I turned in the same paper twice to the same teacher in two different film classes and made a better grade the second time. All I changed was the title.

brings back some memories. synth1 was the gateway drug to this ridiculous hobby of mine. haven't touched it in awhile but excited to dust it off. i can't wait to hear what people come up with this super-capable little beast.

I haven't decided whether or not to participate in this one. Depends on how I do this month.

Mechanought wrote:
Any good buys that are in the "I make very little money" range? Specifically filters, EQs, Mastering Plug-ins, Console Strips, and reverbs
http://www.toneboosters.com/trackessentials/
This is a fine package for only €20. The tapesim alone, I think it's worth it. But I wouldn't use it if VOS Ferric and his other stuff was 64 bit. Other than that, if you stick with the top freeware stuff, you still will do fine.

Anyone ever have any trouble with crackly artifacts when using synth1? In the past when I tried it, I couldn't figure that out. It would happen often, but not predictably. Even just 1 track "projects."

wagtunes wrote:I haven't decided whether or not to participate in this one. Depends on how I do this month.
Oh FFS, you still moping about on these pages Wag :x :hihi:

I'll have to start preparing a cheese platter before I sit down to read these threads ....you know ...to go with all the whine :roll:

Return to “Instruments”